Two Hyde Park men were arraigned today after their early-morning arrests for firing a stolen handgun near a crowd outside a downtown lounge, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
FELIX MACHADO (D.O.B. 11/12/81) and CESAR GUZMAN (D.O.B. 9/10/86) were both charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, receiving stolen property, and discharging a firearm within 500’ of a building. Machado, who allegedly drove the vehicle in which they fled the scene, was also charged with failure to stop for police. more »
A Fenway man and his Revere father were arraigned today as fugitives from justice in connection with drug-related charges pending against them in Maine, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
State Police narcotics detectives assigned to Conley’s office arrested PAUL BRADLEY, Jr. (D.O.B. 1/11/84), on Ipswich Street after watching him approach and then leave his Brookline Avenue home shortly before 7:30 this morning. more »
Jury selection is scheduled to begin today in the trial of a North End man who allegedly bludgeoned a disabled man to death six years ago but only recently was deemed competent to take part in the proceedings.
WILLIAM DOLAN (D.O.B. 2/17/87) is charged with first-degree murder for allegedly beating 51-year-old Israel Vega, also of the North End, to death with a large rock near the intersection of Salem and Stillman streets on July 31, 2003. The rock is believed to have come from a planter near the scene. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today notified Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis that prosecutors would not recommend criminal charges in the fatal Nov. 21, 2007, shooting of Marquis Barker by Boston Police.
More than a year of careful investigation by members of Conley’s Homicide Unit, who investigate all police-involved shootings and fatalities in Suffolk County, established that the officers acted lawfully and reasonably when they fired on Barker as he pointed a GAMO PT-80 air pistol at them. At the time he pointed that air pistol, which is designed and marketed as a detailed and realistic replica of an actual handgun, at the officers, Barker had stolen a Boston Police cruiser, had been the subject of multiple 911 calls for a man with a gun, had threatened to kill himself, and had refused repeated orders to drop his weapon. more »
A second man faces rendition to Boston following his arrest in New Jersey for the May 13 shooting death of Fred Bing on Wilcock Street, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
ABIONA JUSTICE SHARPE (D.O.B. 6/3/89) of Revere was arrested Tuesday in South Brunswick, New Jersey, by Boston Police, U.S. Marshals, and local authorities. Sharpe’s arrest came eight days after he was indicted by a Suffolk County grand jury for Bing’s first-degree murder. Boston Police arrested another man, DAMANTE BURRELL (D.O.B. 9/5/92), on May 9 in the course of the same grand jury investigation. more »
The Roxbury youth who at age 15 fired three rounds at a Pop Warner football coach, wounding him, was sentenced to five years in state prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
Indicted under the state’s Youthful Offender statute, which allows juveniles to be tried as adults for certain violent crimes, DAQUADRY NORMAN (D.O.B. 4/25/92) pleaded guilty to armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm, all in connection with the Oct. 13, 2007, incident at Roxbury’s Washington Park. more »
A Dorchester man was ordered held without bail today following his arraignment for the murders of Jarrid Campbell and Jeff Jones near the Franklin Hill housing development two years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
DONALD RAY WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 10/4/84) was formally charged today with two counts of first-degree murder and an additional count of unlawful possession of a firearm for the July 12, 2007, incident that claimed Campbell’s and Jones’ lives. Williams and a second man – STANLEY EARL JENKINS, Jr. (D.O.B. 4/18/83) of Roslindale – were indicted for the homicides after a two-year probe by Boston Police and Suffolk prosecutors. more »
A former MBTA employee was formally charged with gross negligence today following his indictment for allegedly causing a multi-train collision that injured dozens of passengers earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
AIDEN QUINN (D.O.B. 11/24/84) of Attleboro was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court this morning on a single count of gross negligence by a person in control of a train. The charge, which carries a maximum penalty of three years in state prison, stems from a May 8 collision between the Government Center and Park Street MBTA stations. more »
A Watertown woman was held on $11,000 cash bail today following her arraignment on new charges stemming from her operation of the motor vehicle that struck Fredy Zepeda, causing injuries that claimed his life last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
CATHY BERGIN-AUGUST (D.O.B. 11/19/61) was charged today with motor vehicle homicide by negligent operation and leaving the scene of an accident causing death. The charges for which she was arraigned while Zepeda clung to life were dismissed today. more »
A Dorchester man was held without bail today following his arraignment for allegedly shooting 16-year-old Torey Evans to death on Dorchester Avenue earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
Granting a request by Assistant District Attorney David Fredette of Conley’s Homicide Unit, Dorchester District Court Judge Rosalind Miller ordered MARQUES KERSEY (D.O.B. 2/10/90) held without bail while charges in Evans’ murder are pending against him. more »
State Police detectives assigned to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office and MBTA Transit Police are investigating the death of a 59-year-old West Roxbury woman on the Commuter Rail tracks near Highland Station.
A local resident called 911 at about 5:30 this morning to report discovering the woman’s body. Investigators arrived to find her dressed entirely in black and lying across the tracks suffering from massive trauma. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis today announced the arrest of a suspect in the Feb. 11 shooting death of 38-year-old Thomas Speed.
GARRETT JACKSON (D.O.B. 7/13/87) of Roxbury was arrested last night following a seven-month investigation by Boston Police homicide detectives and Suffolk prosecutors. Evidence developed in the course of that investigation suggests that Jackson fired a single shot at Speed as Speed stood in the vestibule of 18 Trotter Ct. more »
Two men were arraigned today for their respective roles in February and July murders about a block away from one another, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Suffolk prosecutors recommended that the alleged killers of 38-year-old Thomas Speed on Feb. 11 and 21-year-old David Brimley on July 4 be held without bail during proceedings in Roxbury District Court today. GARRETT JACKSON (D.O.B. 7/13/87) allegedly shot Speed to death at 18 Trotter Court, while CHARLES WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 8/24/79) allegedly shot Brimley to death around the corner at 617 Shawmut Ave. more »
A 19-year-old Dorchester youth was held on high bail and had his open bail for an unrelated offense revoked following his arraignment on charges that he shot and wounded four people outside a Blue Hill Avenue tavern early this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
CHARKEEM HYATT, a.k.a. CHARKEM HYATT, a.k.a. MAURICE MATTOCKS (D.O.B. 12/10/89) was arraigned this afternoon on four counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and single counts of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, discharging a firearm within 500’ of a building, and resisting arrest. more »
State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are investigating an unattended death inside a Massport warehouse at One Black Flacon Ave.
State Police and Massport Police responded to the scene shortly after 3:00 this afternoon and found the deceased, a 50-year-old East Boston man, partially beneath a concrete barrier. The man was pronounced dead of his injuries at the scene. more »
The driver of a car that struck and severely injured a 35-year-old Brighton father was ordered to surrender her driver’s license and not operate a motor vehicle while her criminal case is pending, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
In addition to setting those conditions if CATHY BERGIN-AUGUST (D.O.B. 11/19/61) of Watertown makes $1,000 cash bail, Brighton District Court Judge David T. Donnelly told the defendant to report weekly to the Department of Probation. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court judge this week denied a motion filed by an attorney for PHILIP MARKOFF (D.O.B. 2/12/86), ruling that “mere speculation” was not enough to warrant further inquiry into the grand jury investigation that led to Markoff’s indictment for murder and other crimes.
Citing Massachusetts case law in response to the defense motion to produce evidence, Judge Frank Gaziano wrote that “the trial court should conduct an inquiry into the prejudicial impact of preindictment publicity where the defendant is able to raise ‘a prima facie showing of bias or prejudice so egregious as to result in an indictment based on ‘hatred or malice’ within the meaning of G.L. c. 277, Sect. 5 [the oath of Massachusetts grand jurors].’” more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis today announced murder charges against two men for the murders of Jarrid Cambpell and Jeffrey Jones near the Franklin Hill housing development two years ago.
Indictments were unsealed yesterday charging STANLEY EARL JENKINS, Jr. (D.O.B. 4/18/83) of Roslindale and DONALD RAY WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 10/4/84) of Dorchester with two counts each of first-degree murder and one count each of unlawful possession of a firearm for the victims’ shooting deaths in a car parked on Shandon Road on the night of July 12, 2007. more »
Boston-area law enforcement officials are investigating the assault and robbery of a woman on the Charles River Esplanade early this morning.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, Massachusetts State Police Colonel Mark F. Delaney, and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis urged caution in the area and reminded pedestrians to remain alert and aware of their surroundings, especially in isolated areas, as summer weather returns to the Boston area. more »
A New Hampshire man was sentenced to life in prison today following his conviction last week for the murder of 20-year-old Cushings Fortuna on New Year’s Eve 2006, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frank Gaziano imposed upon SEAN EVELYN (D.O.B. 2/22/86) the mandatory punishment for second-degree murder, life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years. Immediately prior to sentencing, Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent read aloud an impact statement submitted to the court by Fortuna’s mother. more »
The co-owner of a downtown nightclub has been indicted under the state’s witness intimidation statute for allegedly urging witnesses to destroy evidence and lying to Boston Police as they investigated a shooting outside his establishment, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
The Suffolk County Special Grand Jury on Friday returned a two-count indictment charging SHAWN DONOVAN (D.O.B. 1/11/80) of Billerica with allegedly lying to detectives investigating a Jan. 1 shooting outside the Revolution Rock Bar and telling a photographer who was at the club that night to destroy photographs that showed the gunman inside the club. more »
The Los Angeles artist charged with multiple counts of graffiti-related offenses pleaded guilty in a Boston courtroom today, agreeing to pay $2000 to a local graffiti clean-up company, to possess none of his “tools of the trade” while in Suffolk County, and to make a statement of apology to residents and deterrence to other potential offenders.
FRANK SHEPARD FAIREY, 39, pleaded guilty to one count of defacing property for a 2000 case in which he placed a poster on a Brighton Avenue electrical box and two counts of wanton destruction of property for a sticker he placed on a Fort Point traffic sign and a poster he affixed to a Back Bay condominium. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis today announced the arrest of a Dorchester teen for the May 13 shooting death of 49-year-old Fred Bing.
Boston Police homicide detectives this morning arrested DAMANTE BURRELL (D.O.B. 9/5/92) on a warrant charging him with first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. Burrell was identified as a suspect in Bing’s homicide during a two-month investigation in the Suffolk County Grand Jury, which indicted Burrell yesterday. more »
A Westborough woman stole more than $750,000 from her Brighton employer by misusing company credit cards, cashing company checks she’s written to herself, and obtaining her own line of credit using the employer’s information to pay for shopping sprees at PETCO and Victoria’s Secret, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
CYNTHIA GOLDBERG, a.k.a. CYNTHIA KUSSY, a.k.a. CYNTHIA McDONNELL (D.O.B. 11/13/62), was charged yesterday in a 20-count indictment alleging 10 counts of larceny over $250, five counts of making false entries in corporate books, and five counts of misusing a credit card for more than $250. more »
A Dorchester youth was held without bail today following his arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court for the murder of 49-year-old Fred Bing, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DAMANTE BURRELL (D.O.B. 9/5/92) was indicted yesterday and arrested today for Bing’s fatal shooting on the night of May 13. His body was recovered early the next morning in a driveway on Wilcock Street, where gunshots had been reported several hours earlier. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the indictment of an MBTA trolley driver for grossly negligent operation of the Green Line train he drove into another subway car while allegedly sending a text message.
Two months to the day after the May 8 collision in the tunnels beneath downtown Boston, the Suffolk County Special Grand Jury returned an indictment charging AIDEN QUINN (D.O.B. 11/24/84) of Attleboro with gross negligence by a person in control of a train, a crime punishable by up to three years in state prison or a fine of up to $5,000. more »
Three alleged killers were held without bail in separate arraignments at different courts for unrelated Boston murders, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
The men accused of killing 48-year-old Jewell Alsop on Feb. 26 in Dorchester; 15-year-old Soheil Turner in Roxbury on May 7; and 20-year-old Antoine Perkins in Dorchester three summers ago were all arraigned on murder charges today. None of the victims or cases was related to another, Conley said, but each was the subject of vigorous investigation by Suffolk prosecutors and Boston Police homicide detectives. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis today announced the arrest of a notorious gang leader for the murder of one young man and the shooting of another amid a week of violence three summers ago that left five dead and six injured by gunshots.
JAMES A. WALKER, a.k.a. “GUNNA” (D.O.B. 9/9/86), of Dorchester was arrested today for the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Antoine Perkins and the non-fatal shooting of a second man, then 19, in Dorchester on the night of July 22, 2006. Walker’s arrest, effected by Boston Police homicide detectives, comes in the course of an extensive investigation by Suffolk prosecutors in the Suffolk County Grand Jury. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court jury today found a New Hampshire man guilty of second-degree murder for the 2006 fatal shooting of 20-year-old Cushings Fortuna after a physical confrontation near South Station, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conely announced.
Jurors late today also convicted SEAN EVELYN (D.O.B. 2/22/86) of unlawful possession of a firearm for the Glock .40 semiautomatic firearm from which Evelyn fired seven rounds at Fortuna, hitting the victim three times. They acquitted him of an additional count of possession of a Class B substance for two bags of crack cocaine that Boston Police later found in a secret compartment within his vehicle. more »
A Dorchester man serving 10 years for armed robbery added seven years to his sentence after representing himself at trial and earning another conviction for that offense, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury last week found KYON JAMES (D.O.B. 5/3/82) guilty of armed robbery, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony; at a subsequent bench trial, Judge Patrick Brady found him guilty of armed robbery with a firearm as a second offense. more »
When a New Hampshire man was slapped and insulted outside South Station, he didn’t go back to his car and drive away, a Suffolk County prosecutor told a Superior Court jury this morning. Instead, Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent said, he went back to his car, retrieved a pistol, and executed his rival in a hail of gunfire as daylight faded on the last day of 2006.
SEAN EVELYN (D.O.B. 2/22/86) is charged with first-degree murder for shooting 20-year-old Cushings Fortuna to death on Beach Street on the afternoon of Dec. 31, 2006. Evidence suggests that the two men crossed paths at South Station that day by pure chance and that, because of some prior disagreement, Fortuna assaulted Evelyn in front of Evelyn’s girlfriend. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court clerk magistrate today set a June 28, 2010, trial date for a 64-year-old Dorchester woman accused of stabbing her 74-year-old male friend to death in May, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Indicted June 16, VERNA SEWELL (D.O.B. 12/21/44) is charged with second-degree murder for the May 8 stabbing of 74-year-old Julius Scott in his Dorchester residence. Evidence suggests that Sewell had been living in Scott’s Talbot Street studio apartment for several months before the stabbing. more »
A Weymouth man today admitted to being under the influence of heroin when he drove a minivan through a Roslindale intersection, striking a 50-year-old pedestrian with such force that the victim went into a coma from which he is only now showing signs of recovering, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
COREY LEGERE (D.O.B. 11/6/84) was sentenced to three years in state prison to be followed by three years of probation after pleading guilty to operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs and causing serious bodily injury, leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, possession of a Class A substance, and operating with a suspended license. more »