More than 100 kids and teens from across Boston and Suffolk County had a ball with Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, New England Revolution player Shalrie Joseph, and others yesterday.
Joining Suffolk prosecutors and victim advocates, local crime watch groups, and community members, dozens upon dozens of city youth took part in the seventh annual Soccer for Peace tournament at Dorchester’s Pope John Paul II field yesterday. more »
Young athletes and spectators of all ages can count on perfect weather this afternoon at Dorchester’s Pope John Paul II Park, where Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley will host his seventh annual Soccer for Peace tournament this afternoon.
Conley will be joined by five-time Major League Soccer All-Star Shalrie Joseph of the New England Revolution, Suffolk prosecutors and victim advocates, local crime watch groups, area residents, and kids of all ages from 2:00 to 5:00. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced a first-degree murder conviction in the strangulation and fatal stabbing of 29-year-old Melissa Santiago, a mother of four, in her Dorchester home last year.
A Suffolk Superior Court Jury found JOSE TORRES (D.O.B. 11/13/81) guilty of murdering Santiago in the course of a March 8, 2008, argument. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Elizabeth Fahey sentenced Torres to the mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole. more »
Wrapping an electrical cord around Melissa Santiago’s neck and pulling it tight wasn’t enough for JOSE TORRES (D.O.B. 11/13/81), the top domestic violence prosecutor in Suffolk County told a Superior Court jury today, so he grabbed a knife and slashed the 29-year-old woman’s throat.
“He strangled her to death and as she struggled to breathe, as she struggled to live, he picked up a knife and slit her throat,” said Assistant District Attorney David Deakin, chief of Suffolk DA Daniel F. Conley’s Family Protection and Sexual Assault Bureau. “You now know what happened to Melissa Santiago, how she was brutally murdered by this man … her boyfriend of three weeks.” more »
Five-time Major League Soccer All-Star Shalrie Joseph of the New England Revolution will join Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, Suffolk prosecutors and victim advocates, area residents, and kids of all ages at the DA’s seventh annual Soccer for Peace tournament this week.
Thursday’s event in Dorchester will mark Joseph’s second appearance at the annual event and follows his extensive participation in the 2008 tournament, when he not only joined in the games but also spoke to young players, signed autographs for them, and posed for photos with attendees. Revolution midfielders Gary Flood, Khano Smith, and Wells Thompson took part in Soccer for Peace 2007. more »
Twelve men who allegedly inflicted fatal injuries on a Hyde Park man outside a downtown nightclub were held on high bail at their arraignments in the Boston Municipal Court today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
The victim, 22-year-old Jose Alicea, was removed from life support this morning, three days after he was attacked by a large group of men outside Club 33 on Stanhope Street early on Aug. 21. Arrested shortly after the beating and arraigned this morning on charges of aggravated assault and battery were: more »
The judge presiding over the Peabody District Court bench trial of a Beverly Police officer charged with motor vehicle homicide today found STUART MERRY guilty of that charge, sentenced him to three years supervised probation, and ordered that his license be suspended for 15 years, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
In addition to the probation and loss of license, Judge Matthew Nestor further ordered that Merry, 42, complete 200 hours of community service and pay a $1,000 fine. more »
Jury selection is scheduled to begin today at Peabody District Court in the re-trial of a Beverly Police officer who is charged with motor vehicle homicide for striking and killing 61-year-old Bonney Burns in a 2007 collision.
STUART MERRY, 42, is facing a single charge of motor vehicle homicide for the second time after the Supreme Judicial Court in April refused to dismiss the case at the request of the defense team. The defense had argued that there was insufficient evidence to convict Merry, a contention the state’s highest court rejected. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley will join crime watch groups, local businesses, and youths of all ages at the seventh annual Soccer for Peace tournament in Dorchester next week.
The tournament, which has taken place every summer at Pope John Paul II Park since 2003, provides an opportunity for city youth and community members to join in an afternoon of recreation, physical activity, and positive interaction with members of the criminal justice system with the added goal of promoting peace through teamwork and cooperation. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court clerk magistrate today ordered that a Hyde Park man be held on high bail following his arraignment on murder charges for his role in the shooting death of 17-year-old Roniel Marc during a gun battle last year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
At today’s hearing, KEVIN LOUIS (D.O.B. 7/2/87) was formally charged with second-degree murder for the July 4, 2008, incident. Louis was indicted on multiple weapons charges in connection with this case, and was already in custody on $100,000 cash bail for those gun offenses. Assistant District Attorney Daniel Mulhern asked Clerk Magistrate Robin Vaughan to increase the bail to $500,000 to reflect the seriousness of the second-degree murder charge; Vaughan accommodated the Commonwealth’s request. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury late last week returned indictments charging a Hyde Park man with the shooting death of 17-year-old Roniel Marc during a gun battle last year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.
Indicted for second-degree murder Aug. 12 was KEVIN LOUIS (D.O.B. 7/2/87) of Hyde Park. Louis was also indicted for unlawfully carrying a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawful possession of a firearm as a second offense. Louis is already in custody on high bail for gun offenses and is expected to be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court on Tuesday. more »
The family of Marie Conley, the Dorchester crossing guard killed in the line of duty, today implored a Superior Court judge not to impose jail time for the elderly driver who admitted to striking her.
ANIS CAZEAU (D.O.B. 1/15/22) of Mattapan today pleaded guilty to the crime of motor vehicle homicide for driving into the 58-year-old woman on Oct. 21, 2008, causing injuries that claimed her life eight days later. more »
A South End man today admitted stabbing a single father to death, accepting a lengthy state prison sentence rather than face trial for plunging a knife into Yiovany Gazmey’s chest in a fight sparked by their brawling girlfriends in Roxbury last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
JUAN RAMIREZ (D.O.B. 9/9/82) pleaded guilty to the crime of manslaughter for stabbing Gazmey nine times, including once in the heart, then tossing the knife on Washington Street and fleeing the scene on a Silver Line bus. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frank Gaziano sentenced him to a term of 10 to 11 years in state prison. more »
A Dorchester man was held without bail today following his arraignment for the murders of Manuel Monteiro and Jovany Eason at Ka’- Carlos Bar and Grill last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
EMMANUEL DePINA (D.O.B. 4/25/83) today surrendered himself to a Dorchester District Court arrest warrant approved on Aug. 7. Assistant District Attorney John Pappas recommended that DePina be held without bail during the pendency of his case; Judge Lawrence McCormick accommodated that request. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office today identified the two teenaged passengers who died when their friend’s sport-utility vehicle crashed near Copeland Circle shortly before 11:20 yesterday morning.
Kelly Ann Barber, 19, of East Weymouth was behind the wheel of her mother’s 2000 Mitsubishi Montero when, investigators believe, it rolled over, struck the right guardrail, and traveled across Route 1 before striking a concrete barrier and coming to rest in the left travel lane. Barber was wearing a seat belt and survived the collision with injuries deemed serious but not life-threatening. more »
A Quincy man with a record for robbery-related offenses was charged with stealing a woman’s BlackBerry from her purse on a subway train, only to be caught by MBTA employees who detained him until police arrived, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Suffolk prosecutors recommended that CASEY SHAWN TARUSHKA (D.O.B. 3/9/86) be held on $7500 at his arraignment on charges of larceny from a person. South Boston District Court Judge Michael Coyne set bail at $1500, further ordering that if Tarushka posts bail he stay away from and have no contact with the 25-year-old victim. more »
A Suffolk County homicide prosecutor today said that 49-year-old Fred Bing was shot to death on Wilcock Street by two friends of a teen allegedly slain by Wilcock Street associates two years earlier.
Speaking at the arraignment of ABIONA JUSTICE SHARPE (D.O.B. 6/3/89) this morning, Assistant District Attorney Ian Polumbaum told Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson that Sharpe and another man had been friends of Terrence Jacobs, stabbed to death at age 16 on May 22, 2007. Six alleged Wilcock Street associates have been charged in connection with Jacobs’ murder and are awaiting trial. more »
A Hyde Park man was held on high bail yesterday for allegedly beating his infant son, fracturing two bones in his leg and seven of his ribs over the course of at least three months, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
CHRISTOPHER DUNCAN (D.O.B. 4/18/82) of Hyde Park was held on $25,000 cash bail during his arraignment in West Roxbury District Court on charges of assault and battery on a child, assault and battery on a child causing serious injury, and mayhem. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today voiced his support for Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley’s filing of An Act to Combat Economic Crime, a comprehensive proposal for economic crime legislation that specifically updates state law in the areas of money laundering, enterprise crime, and wire interception.
“Acting alone or in concert, criminals aren’t waiting for Massachusetts laws to catch up with their enterprises,” Conley said. “They’re exploiting the lag between technology and accountability. Any step that will close that gap is one I’m proud to support.” more »