A Cambridge man who allegedly robbed two Revere banks within days of one another was held on $50,000 cash bail after his arraignment yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARK AMERAULT (D.O.B. 4/27/70) was charged in Chelsea District Court with the armed robberies last week of Citizens Bank locations inside Revere supermarkets. Judge Timothy Gailey set bail in the amount recommended by Assistant District Attorney Nick Brandt and ordered Amerault to return to court on Oct. 1 for a probable cause hearing. more »
Testimony is under way in the trial of a man accused of fatally stabbing another man in the course of an apparent drug deal in Roxbury last summer.
DAVID COPELAND (D.O.B. 2/2/79) of Roxbury is charged with first-degree murder and armed robbery for the fatal stabbing of 33-year-old John Marshall in a parking lot near Dale and Regent streets on the afternoon of July 29, 2008. more »
A photo of a 10-year-old girl smiling for the camera. An x-ray of her tiny skull, peppered with shotgun pellets. The slain child’s head on a coroner’s slab.
One by one, the top prosecuting attorney in Suffolk County presented those images of Trina Persad, shot in the face with a sawed-off shotgun on the evening of June 29, 2002, to the Superior Court jury now weighing the fate of her alleged killer, JOSEPH COUSIN (D.O.B. 8/9/84). more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley last week delivered more than $12,000 to Dorchester youth groups as part of an annual program that diverts seized drug money to Suffolk County community groups that keep city kids away from drugs, crime, and violence.
On Sept. 25, Conley delivered a pair of $5,000 checks to Dorchester-based organizations – Close to Home, an organization that addresses issues of domestic violence in the Dorchester community, and the Dorchester Youth Collaborative, which provides services to at-risk youth. On Sept 26, the DA delivered an additional $2,500 to the North American Family Institute during the Youth and Family Fun Day at the Franklin Field Teen Center. more »
A Dorchester teen was held on a quarter-million dollars’ cash bail yesterday following his arraignment on multiple attempted murder charges, including one incurred when he allegedly shot a 22-year-old woman in the face Friday night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
The 15-YEAR-OLD JUVENILE, whose name is not being released because of his age, was arraigned in the juvenile session of Dorchester District Court on four counts of armed assault with intent to murder; three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; and single counts of assault and battery, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully discharging a weapon within 500’ of a building. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley yesterday delivered $2,500 in seized drug money to a Roslindale outreach group that provides after-school and summertime education to children.
Conley delivered the check, drawn from his Asset Forfeiture Reinvestment Program, to Sister Nancy Braceland, executive director of Casserly House, and about a dozen of the program’s young participants. more »
Relatives of two men gunned down in a hail of bullets that nearly claimed a third life mourned 29-year-old Jesse Calhoun and 29-year-old Robert Turner, Jr., as their killers were sentenced to life behind bars today.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said ALEXANDER BOLLING (D.O.B. 6/17/83) of Mattapan and TANEIKA BRITT (D.O.B. 9/25/76) of Roxbury were sentenced to two life sentences each for the murders, plus concurrent sentences of 15 to 20 years for the attempted murder of the surviving victim and four to five years for unlawfully possessing the firearms used in the deadly barrage. more »
The young man who allegedly fired a bullet into 18-year-old Paula Castillo’s neck, killing her and the fetus she was carrying, was ordered held without bail today at his arraignment on murder and other charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RUBEN SANCHEZ (D.O.B. 9/6/90) of Hyde Park was arrested late Friday for Castillo’s murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and discharging a firearm within 500’ of a building. Accommodating a request by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Hickman of Conley’s Homicide Unit, West Roxbury Municipal Court Judge Mary Ann Driscoll ordered Sanchez held without bail. more »
A 20-year-old Roxbury man was sentenced to state prison today after admitting that he posed his infant daughter in a photo with a large-capacity firearm earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL MAJORS (D.O.B. 3/8/89) pleaded guilty reckless endangerment of a child and unlawful possession of the Cobray MAC-11 style 9mm firearm. Majors admitted to posing his daughter, then 17 months old, with the weapon and photographing her on or about Jan. 12. An extended magazine is protruding from the weapon in the photo. more »
Three Dorchester men and their Quincy associate were held on high bail today in connection with an early morning stabbing that left a Boston man in critical condition, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
Arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court this afternoon for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon were: more »
A leader of the notorious Lucerne Street Doggz who allegedly shot and killed one man and seriously wounded another as the two sat on a Morton Street stoop was ordered held without bail at his Superior Court arraignment yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
JAMES A. WALKER, a.k.a. “GUNNA” (D.O.B. 9/9/86), of Dorchester was indicted Sept. 8 for the first-degree murder of 20-year-old Antoine Perkins, armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the non-fatal shooting of Perkins’ friend, then 19, and unlawful possession of a firearm for his role in the July 23, 2006, incident. Superior Court Judge John Cratsley ordered Walker held without bail. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the indictment of a former Massachusetts rabbi on child sexual assault charges dating back to the 1970s, when he allegedly assaulted two of his pre-teen male students.
The Suffolk County Grand Jury yesterday returned indictments charging STANLEY Z. LEVITT (D.O.B. 4/4/46) of Philadelphia with four counts of indecent assault and battery on a person under 14 for allegedly assaulting two former students of the Maimonides School in Brookline, where Levitt was a teacher. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley yesterday delivered more than $2000 in seized drug money to a Jamaica Plain organization that works to keep immigrant youth drug-free and out of trouble.
Conley delivered a $2500 check to Abdirahman A. Yusuf, executive director of the Somali Development Center, at a meeting yesterday in the agency’s Green Street headquarters. The money will provide at-risk immigrant youth with job placement, employment, and educational programs, Yusuf said. more »
The man and woman who allegedly fired a total of 14 shots at three men on a Roxbury street, killing two and seriously injuring another, were not acting in self-defense, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor said in a closing argument this morning.
“The evidence in this case points to one thing: murder,” Assistant District Attorney David Fredette said during a closing argument in the Superior Court trial of ALEXANDER BOLLING (D.O.B. 6/17/83) of Mattapan and TANEIKA BRITT (D.O.B. 9/25/76) of Taunton. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Revere Police Chief Terence Reardon today announced a $5,000 reward in connection with the 1974 disappearance of a 10-year-old boy.
Leigh Savoie (D.O.B. 10/5/63) has been missing since the morning of April 7, 1974, when he left his State Road home to shine shoes and buy his mother an Easter present. The Carole Sund/Carrington Foundation, an independent private agency that provides awards in missing persons cases, has posted the reward for information leading to Savoie’s return or the prosecution of a suspect in his abduction. more »
Moments after a Suffolk Superior Court judge declared a mistrial in the case of two men accused of gunning down 28-year-old Cedirick Steele, Suffolk prosecutors said they intended to bring both defendants to trial at the earliest opportunity.
Parties in the case against ANTWAN CARTER (D.O.B. 10/13/88) and DANIEL PINCKNEY, Jr. (D.O.B. 7/4/88), both of Boston’s South End, will return to court on Oct. 20 to set a new trial date. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s Office yesterday awarded $5,000 in seized drug money to a Chelsea community group to provide support for a teen summer employment program, and a teen youth group dedicated to community and social justice projects.
Members of Conley’s Community Relations unit delivered the $5,000 check, drawn from his office’s Asset Forfeiture Reinvestment Program, to Gladys Vega, executive director of the Chelsea Collaborative. Vega said the agency would use the money to fund the Ready Individuals Organizing Teen Squad (RIOT), a youth group consisting of Chelsea high school students who work with staff organizers on community organizing and social justice programs. Funds will also be used to help support the Summer Youth Employment Initiative (SYEI), which was created to reduce youth violence. SYEI hires hundreds of youths during the summer months to help keep them off the streets, while providing them with the opportunity to develop work skills, create lasting relationships with mentors, and take part in weekly educational and enrichment activities. more »
Jury selection is under way in the trial of a man charged with stabbing a fellow patron to death at a South Boston tavern, bringing the number of defendants in concurrent Suffolk County homicide trials to six.
BERNARD PISCOPO (D.O.B. 3/4/69) of Dorchester was indicted for the second-degree murder of 26-year-old Revere resident Adam Rich, who died of stab wounds sustained during a June 17, 2007, fight inside the 6 House on West Broadway. Piscopo is also charged with armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for an attack on one of Rich’s friends, a 24-year-old Malden man, during the same incident. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned a 14-count indictment charging a 19-year-old Dorchester youth with shooting four people outside a Blue Hill Avenue bar this summer, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
CHARKEEM HYATT, a.k.a. CHARKEM HYATT, a.k.a. MAURICE MATTOCKS (D.O.B. 12/10/89), now faces four counts of possessing a firearm during the commission of a felony; three counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon; and single counts of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and unlawful possession of a firearm as a second offense. more »
Ten-year-old Trina Persad died when a gang member aiming for rivals fired a shotgun in her direction, sending fragments of metal into her face and head even as a family friend tried to hurry her and two other young children out of a city playground, a Suffolk County prosecutor said today.
JOSEPH COUSIN (D.O.B. 8/9/84) is charged with first-degree murder, receiving a stolen motor vehicle, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of a sawed off shotgun, all in connection with Persad’s shooting on June 29, 2002, and her death at Boston Medical Center two days later. more »
The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts today ruled that prosecutors may subpoena recordings of phone calls made from jails and prisons for use in grand jury investigations and trials, affirming the propriety of a practice that has led to convictions for dozens of violent crimes.
“The SJC affirmed our operating theory that there’s no privacy claim when an inmate is warned that his or her call is being recorded,” Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said, hailing the majority decision authored by Justice Roderick Ireland. “Jail calls have been instrumental in proving murder, witness intimidation, perjury, and other offenses, and we expect to continue to use them.” more »
A man and woman face trial for the 2007 murders of two men while another man faces a second set of proceedings for the 2002 murder of a 10-year-old girl as the unrelated Roxbury cases make their ways to Suffolk Superior Court this week.
ALEXANDER BOLLING (D.O.B. 6/17/83) of Mattapan and TONEIKA BRITT (D.O.B. 9/25/76) of Taunton are each charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of armed assault with intent to murder for the shooting deaths of Jesse Calhoun and Robert Turner and the non-fatal shooting of a surviving victim on Aug. 2, 2007. Jury selection for their joint trial is expected to begin tomorrow before Judge Frank Gaziano in courtroom 906. more »
Two men remain hospitalized in critical condition tonight after jumping from the Tobin Bridge into the Mystic River this evening.
Massachusetts State Police assigned to Troop F, members of the State Police Marine Section, and State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office responded to the scene shortly before 5:30 for reports of two men jumping from the upper deck of the Tobin Bridge. Troopers recovered the duo, a 35-year-old Revere man and a 31-year-old man from Bedford, New Hampshire, from the river and transported both to a nearby U.S. Coast Guard base for transfer to Massachusetts General Hospital. The men suffered serious injuries in the fall and were unable to speak to investigators. more »
An Allston man was held on a quarter-million dollars’ bail today following his arraignment on charges that he raped and beat a 66-year-old woman on Gardner Street last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
“This was a crime of unconscionable brutality,” Conley said of the Aug. 27 attack that also left the Allston woman with severe swelling and bruising in the area of her face and neck. more »
The trial of two men charged with gunning down an innocent bystander began today with a prosecutor’s statement that 18-year-old Cedirick Steele was murdered because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time – and that one of the defendants also sought to have a critical witness killed in order to get away with the crime.
Assistant District Attorney Paul Treseler told a Suffolk Superior Court jury and a gallery packed with spectators that DANIEL PINCKNEY, Jr. (D.O.B. 7/4/88), and ANTWAN CARTER (D.O.B. 10/13/88) were driving in Pinckney’s black Pontiac in the area of Highland Avenue with a third individual on the afternoon of March 14, 2007, when they saw a group believed to be rivals. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate today ordered a 50-year-old Level III sex offender held without bail at his arraignment today on charges that he raped and murdered 48-year-old Jewell Allsop this year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
FITZHUGH NEWTON III (D.O.B. 3/26/59) of Roxbury is charged with two counts of aggravated rape and one count of first-degree murder in connection with Allsop’s death. The Suffolk County Grand Jury returned those indictments Monday, moving the case from Roxbury District Court to Suffolk Superior Court, where it will be adjudicated. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury yesterday returned a three-count indictment charging a Level III sex offender with the rape and murder of a 48-year-old mother earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
FITZHUGH NEWTON III (D.O.B. 3/26/59) of Roxbury was indicted for two counts of aggravated rape and one count of first-degree murder for the homicide of Jewell Allsop. Allsop was most recently living in Arlington but died in Dorchester; her remains were discovered early on Feb. 26 in the rear of a delivery truck on Columbia Road. more »