Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced that his office would not seek criminal charges against an off-duty special police officer who shot and killed a man during a knife attack at a downtown Boston medical suite late last year.
“Paul Langone acted in self-defense and the defense of Dr. Astrid Desrosiers when he fired on Jay Carciero,” Conley said. “But for Mr. Langone’s actions that day, she would undoubtedly have died and others – including Mr. Langone himself – could have been seriously injured or killed as well.” more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury yesterday returned indictments charging a Dorchester man with shooting two Maine residents in the head last summer, killing one and leaving the other near death, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
AMOS “ACE” DON (D.O.B. 3/11/86) is charged with first-degree murder for the Aug. 25, 2009, slaying of 29-year-old Erica Field; assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder for the shooting of Field’s boyfriend, now 32; and unlawful possession of a firearm for the handgun he allegedly used. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court jury today acquitted a Mattapan man of causing the motor vehicle crash that killed 18-year-old Porsche Hubbard and injured three others, ages 6 months through 25 years old, who were in her car at the time.
JASON BAILEY (D.O.B. 8/18/78) was acquitted of manslaughter and leaving the scene of the Aug. 3, 2007, collision in which Hubbard was killed. Hubbard’s 10-year-old cousin, her 25-year-old friend, and that woman’s 6-month-old daughter were also injured in the collision. more »
Suffolk Superior Court Judge Thomas E. Connolly today declared a mistrial in the case against two men accused of gunning down 18-year-old Cedirick Steele after jurors deadlocked in their deliberations. Jurors deliberated for about five full days following four weeks of trial.
Suffolk prosecutors and attorneys for ANTWAN CARTER (D.O.B. 10/13/88) and DANIEL PINCKNEY, Jr. (D.O.B. 7/4/88), both of Boston’s South End, will return to court on April 20 to pick a new trial date. Prosecutors said they would re-try the case at the earliest opportunity. more »
A Dorchester couple was barred from contact with children – including their own 2-year-old son – after a Suffolk County grand jury indicted them for allegedly allowing that boy and a 6-year-old neighbor to overdose on illegally-obtained heroin withdrawal medication, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Assistant District Attorney Leora Joseph, chief of Conley’s Child Protection Unit, sought that condition of release while HECTOR BATISTA (D.O.B. 3/21/61) and MARIA PEREZ (D.O.B. 9/12/65) await trial on charges of unlawful possession of a Class B substance, assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury, and reckless endangerment of a child for the Jan. 16 incident in their Ballou Avenue apartment. The children swallowed tablets of Suboxone, a powerful drug used to treat heroin withdrawal, for which the defendants did not have a prescription. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced a three-count indictment charging a former New York high school basketball coach with sexually assaulting a young player and showing him pornography during a 1976 trip to Boston.
The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging ROBERT “BOB” OLIVA (D.O.B. 12/30/44) of Lynbrook, New York, with two counts of rape of a child and one count of disseminating pornography to a minor. The indictments stem from Oliva’s alleged actions with a New York boy, then 14, at the Sheraton Boston hotel in 1976. more »
A Chelsea man was sentenced to three years in state prison and will be deported upon his release after pleading guilty to raping a woman who worked as a prostitute, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
“No matter who they may be, no matter their station in life, we’re committed to finding justice for the victims of sexual violence,” Conley said. “From the moment this crime was first reported, Chelsea Police and Suffolk prosecutors worked toward a resolution that would protect the victim’s dignity and hold her assailant accountable.” more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the indictment of two Dorchester parents who allegedly allowed their 2-year-old son and a neighbor’s 6-year-old boy to overdose on a drug used to treat heroin addiction.
The Suffolk County Grand Jury on March 10 indicted HECTOR BATISTA, Sr. (D.O.B. 3/21/61) and MARIA PEREZ (D.O.B. 9/12/65) on charges of unlawful possession of a Class B substance, reckless endangerment of a child, and two counts of assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury. more »
Jury selection is scheduled to begin today for the trial of a Mattapan man whose driving was allegedly so aggressive that it caused a crash that claimed one young woman’s life and injured three others, including a 6-month-old girl.
JASON BAILEY (D.O.B. 8/18/78) is charged with involuntary manslaughter and leaving the scene of the collision that killed 18-year-old Porsche Hubbard on Blue Hill Avenue in Dorchester during the early morning hours of Aug. 3, 2007. Prosecutors say Bailey was driving his SUV behind the victims’ sedan in a manner that forced the victims to accelerate and ultimately lose control before crashing into a light pole and a tree. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court judge today sentenced a Dorchester man to serve eight years in state prison for fatally stabbing 27-year-old Sheldon Andrews during a physical confrontation at a backyard barbecue two summers ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
On March 15, a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted RICHARD PARRIS (D.O.B. 4/12/69) of manslaughter after about a day and a half of deliberations. Prior to sentencing, Assistant District Attorney Edward Krippendorf of Conley’s Homicide Unit recommended that Parris be sentenced to a 13-to-15-year term in state prison. Parris had been indicted for second-degree murder, which carries a mandatory life term with the possibility of parole after 15 years; jurors convicted him of the lesser included offense of manslaughter, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in state prison. more »
In a closing argument today, a Suffolk County prosecutor told a Superior Court jury that two men “working in concert” were responsible for the 2007 fatal shooting of 18-year-old Cedirick Steele as he waited on a street corner for his mother across the street from a Boston middle school.
Assistant District Attorney Paul Treseler told the court that Steele, a college student who worked for Meals on Wheels, was standing on the corner of Highland and Centre streets on the afternoon of March 14, 2007, when “a coward snuck up on him.” more »
An Allston man who stabbed his estranged wife three dozen times with a pair of pliers before strangling her to death was sentenced today to life in prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Suffolk Superior Court Judge Christine McEvoy sentenced DA LIN HUANG (D.O.B. 3/16/63) to life behind bars without the possibility of parole – the mandatory term for first-degree murder. A Superior Court jury convicted Huang of that offense on Feb. 17 after a 10-day trial. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the arrests of eight alleged co-conspirators in a Colombian drug syndicate that ran about a kilogram of cocaine each week through Boston, Chelsea, and Revere, with the operation’s alleged kingpin being held on $5 million dollars cash bail.
FERNEY PEREANEZ (D.O.B. 7/31/85), aka BENITO VALENTIN RIVERA, aka ALEXIS LANDA of East Boston was arraigned this afternoon following his indictment by a Suffolk County grand jury on charges of trafficking in more than 100 grams of cocaine, trafficking in more than 28 grams of cocaine, conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws, and procuring a false Registry of Motor Vehicles document. Pereanez faces a mandatory 10-year state prison sentence if convicted on the lead trafficking charge. more »
A Dorchester man was convicted of manslaughter today for fatally stabbing 27-year-old Sheldon Andrews during a confrontation that erupted at a backyard barbecue two summers ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted RICHARD PARRIS (D.O.B. 4/12/69) after about a day and a half of deliberations. Judge Christine McEvoy will sentence him at 9:30 Monday morning in courtroom 808. more »
“Sheldon Andrews is dead today not because of anything he did on August 27, 2008,” a Suffolk County prosecutor told jurors during closing arguments in the murder trial of RICHARD PARRIS. “He is dead today because of one person’s decisions, because of one person’s violent actions.”
Those actions, Assistant District Attorney Edward Krippendorf told a Superior Court jury, included stabbing the 27-year-old Andrews over and over in the head, arm, shoulder, chest, and leg near a cookout attended by the two men’s friends. Andrews’ heart and lung were pierced by those stab wounds, causing injuries that led to his death in a hospital bed hours later. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today released a summary report on the first four years of the Firearm Priority Disposition Session, commonly known as “Gun Court,” announcing that the average duration of a firearm possession case has been cut by more than half while achieving an overall conviction rate that approaches 90%.
A dedicated set of sessions for gun possession cases and collateral offenses, Gun Court has been the site of more than 1,200 prosecutions since its inception in early 2006, Conley said. The process of adjudicating those cases has been streamlined such that a case that once took a year or more to go to trial is now disposed in an average of 146 days. more »
The Suffolk Superior Court judge who presided over the 2009 trial of CHRISTIAN KARL GERHARTSREITER (D.O.B. 2/21/61) last week denied the defendant’s motion for a new trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
After a six-day trial last summer, the man once known as “Clark Rockefeller” was found guilty of kidnapping his daughter, then 7, during a 2008 custody visit and absconding with her to Baltimore. He was also found guilty of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for instructing his unwitting getaway driver to speed away from the scene while the social worker monitoring them clung to the vehicle’s door, causing the social worker to fall to the ground in Boston’s Back Bay. more »
Sheldon Andrews knew the man who killed him, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor said during opening statements in that man’s murder trial today. The two had many of the same friends and, on the evening of Aug. 27, 2008, even had the same plans – to enjoy the company of friends at a typical backyard cookout.
“But that night would turn out to be anything but typical,” Assistant District Attorney Edward Krippendorf told a Suffolk Superior Court jury. “It would turn out to be the very last night of Sheldon Andrews’ life because of the anger and rage of one man – ROBERT PARRIS, the defendant before you.” more »
Days before his trial was set to begin, a Roxbury man this afternoon pleaded guilty to shooting 22-year-old Sheikh Kake after an argument two years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
DARIUS WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 12/8/89) pleaded guilty to the crime of voluntary manslaughter for shooting Kake at the Academy Homes housing complex on the evening of May 17, 2008. Kake, who had recently moved to Roxbury from Maryland, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest.
Suffolk Superior Court Judge Carol Ball sentenced Washington to a term of 18 to 20 years for Kake’s death, plus a concurrent three- to five-year term for unlawful possession of a firearm. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court judge late today declared a mistrial in proceedings against a Dorchester woman charged with murdering her husband, Sylvester Mitchell, on the man’s 40th birthday.
Prosecutors said they intend to retry the case against SHARON FITZPATRICK (D.O.B. 7/26/71) at the earliest opportunity. The parties will return to court on March 9 for trial assignment. more »
Jury selection is expected to begin today for a Dorchester man charged with stabbing an acquaintance to death at a Holiday Street cookout two summers ago.
RICHARD PARRIS (D.O.B. 4/12/69) is charged with first-degree murder for the homicide of 27-year-old Sheldon Andrews on the evening of Aug. 27, 2008. Parris was apprehended in Kingston, Jamaica, on Sept. 5 of that year after Boston Police, Suffolk prosecutors, and U.S. Marshals learned he was en route to the island nation and expected to connect with a flight to Barbados. more »
The suspect in last year’s shooting death of a Jamaica Plain convenience store clerk was held without bail following his indictment on murder and other charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
<p></p>Conley’s chief trial counsel, Assistant District Attorney Patrick Haggan, described Corliss’ “troubling and horrendous” criminal record before recommending that Corliss continue to be held without bail. Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson granted that request. more »
Nearly three years after 18-year-old Cedirick Steele was shot to death in broad daylight as he waited for his mother across the street from a Boston middle school, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor recounted his last moments.
“It’s March 14, 2007,” Assistant District Attorney Paul Treseler said during opening statements in the re-trial of ANTWAN CARTER (D.O.B. 10/13/88) and DANIEL PINCKNEY, Jr. (D.O.B. 7/4/88), both of Boston’s South End and both charged with first-degree murder in connection with Steele’s death. “A young man locks his keys in his car. A young man walks to the corner of Highland and Centre streets. It’s 3:50 in the afternoon. It’s a beautiful day. There’s a school across the street.” more »
A senior domestic violence prosecutor told a Suffolk Superior Court jury today that Sylvester Mitchell’s wife “stabbed him to death in anger,” not fear, and that the crime was murder, not self-defense.
Addressing jurors during closing arguments in her murder trial, Assistant District Attorney David Deakin said SHARON FITZPATRICK (D.O.B. 7/26/71) chose to hide the knife she used to stab Mitchell rather than call for help after the fatal conflict that claimed his life in the early morning hours of May 5, 2007 – Mitchell’s 40th birthday. more »
The suspect in 23-year-old Richard Bevins’s fatal stabbing in Allston yesterday morning was formally charged with murder today as Boston Police homicide detectives and Suffolk county prosecutors continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding it, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Acting on a request by Assistant District Attorney Ian Polumbaum of Conley’s Homicide Unit, Brighton District Court Judge David T. Donnelly ordered MITCHELL MARTINEZ (D.O.B. 8/29/86) of Allston-Brighton held without bail on charges of murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery, affray, and resisting arrest. more »