A repeat sex offender will serve up to 30 years in state prison and must wear a Global Positioning System monitoring device for 10 years after his release for attacking and trying to rape a woman in a Massachusetts General Hospital bathroom late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Suffolk prosecutors had recommended that DAVID FLAVELL (D.O.B. 6/22/69) serve a term of 30 to 40 years behind bars. Superior Court Judge Charles Spurlock imposed a 25- to 30-year term but also ordered that Flavell serve 10 years of probation upon his release. During those 10 years, Flavell must wear a GPS device, stay away from the victim and the hospital, register as a sex offender, undergo sex offender evaluation and treatment, submit a sample to the state’s DNA database, and take any medications as ordered. more »
The longest-serving victim-witness advocate in Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office was recognized today by the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance.
Michael Coffey, a West Roxbury native, was honored for his 25th year of consecutive service at a ceremony this morning at the Massachusetts State House. Coffey has been “a shoulder for victims, witnesses, and their families to lean on” since 1985, Conley said.
Coffey began training as a Suffolk victim advocate in the Boston Municipal Court not long after the Victim’s Bill of Rights was codified under Ch. 258B of the Massachusetts General Laws. He was later dispatched to Roxbury and Brighton district courts and rose through the ranks to work alongside Superior Court trial teams in the DA’s Homicide Unit and Major Felony Bureau, where he is currently assigned. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced the conviction today of a repeat sex offender on charges that he attacked and tried to rape a woman at Massachusetts General Hospital last year.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury on its second day of deliberations found DAVID C. FLAVELL (D.O.B. 6/22/69) guilty of assault with intent to rape, assault and battery, and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the Oct. 22, 2009, attack on a 27-year-old female inside an MGH bathroom. The latter convictions reflect Flavell’s use of a wall and the floor to inflict injuries upon the woman. more »
A Suffolk County victim-witness advocate will be honored tomorrow for his quarter century of service to the victims of violent crime in Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
The Massachusetts Office of Victim Assistance will honor Michael Coffey’s 25th anniversary tomorrow at the Massachusetts State House as part of a day-long event observing Victims Rights Month and recognizing leaders in the field of victim services.
“From the time a case is assigned until well after it’s concluded, Michael is often the bridge between a victim or family and the criminal justice system,” Conley said. “His kindness, his patience, and his generosity are legendary in his field. In a time of need, there are few better friends than Michael Coffey.” more »
The Chelsea home in which 25-year-old Shadeed “Cleo” Wiggins was stabbed to death was “dysfunctional,” with his alleged killers’ mother choosing him over her own sons, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor said during opening statements in their murder trial today.
AASIM SMITH (D.O.B. 4/13/92) and EUGENE TEIXEIRA (D.O.B. 3/25/87) are both charged with second-degree murder for allegedly joining together in a fatal 2008 attack on Wiggins, their mother’s boyfriend, in the Chester Avenue apartment they all shared.
“This case is about choices,” Assistant District Attorney Cory Flashner said. “The choice of a mother to select her boyfriend over her two sons and to kick her two sons out of the house … and the choices of those two sons to come back into the house, back through the door, to arm themselves, and to kill that boyfriend.” more »
A Chelsea man today took the rare step of stipulating to facts in a hearing that will keep him held without bail for up to 90 days after badly beating his pregnant girlfriend, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
JOSE JOBSON (D.O.B. 5/31/83) did not challenge the allegation that no conditions of his release on bail would “reasonably assure the safety of any person or the community,” the standard for pre-trial detention under Ch. 276, Sect. 58A, of the Massachusetts General Laws. The so-called “dangerousness hearing” took place in Dorchester District Court this morning, seven days after he allegedly beat his eight-months-pregnant girlfriend so badly that doctors had to induce labor. He is also charged with unlawful possession of a loaded firearm, pointing that gun at the 22-year-old victim and two other witnesses, and attacking a group of police officers whom he led on a high-speed chase. more »
Jury selection is under way for the trial of two brothers accused of stabbing their mother’s live-in boyfriend to death of inside their Chelsea home two years ago.
EUGENE TEIXEIRA (D.O.B. 3/25/87) and AASIM SMITH (D.O.B. 4/13/92) are both charged with second-degree murder for the April 29, 2008, homicide of 25-year-old Shadeed “Cleo” Wiggins.
Evidence suggests that, after an argument, the defendants’ mother and Wiggins asked Teixeira and Smith to leave the Chester Avenue apartment where they all resided. The two brothers complied and left the home.
Teixeira and Smith allegedly returned to the apartment later that day and forced their way inside. Evidence suggests that the two defendants became engaged in a verbal altercation with Wiggins, which became fatal when Teixeira allegedly grabbed a knife and stabbed the victim seven times while Smith attempted to strike Wiggins with a baseball bat. more »
When 29-year-old Urel Duncan and his friend made the decision to sit on the front steps of a Codman Park duplex townhouse on a fall night almost three years ago, “unbeknownst to any of them…they were literally risking their lives,” a Suffolk County prosecutor told a Superior Court jury in the second murder trial to open today in Suffolk Superior Court.
SHAWN “SHANKS” DAUGHTRY (D.O.B. 5/14/80) of Roxbury is charged with first-degree murder for Duncan’s fatal shooting on the evening of Sept. 20, 2007, and armed assault with intent to murder for the non-fatal shooting of Duncan’s then 19-year-old friend, who was seated next to him on the steps. He is additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. more »
Standing before a panel of 15 Superior Court jurors, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor explained the circumstances of 16-year-old Terrence Jacobs’ stabbing death on a busy Dorchester street three years ago.
“It’s a case about revenge and retaliation,” Assistant District Attorney Mark Hallal said, “and these four defendants – PAUL GOODE, PEDRO ORTIZ, TERRANCE PABON, and MARKEESE MITCHELL – who made a conscious and deliberate decision on May 22, 2007, to take the life of Terrence Jacobs by literally chasing him down, stabbing him in the back, and plunging their lives into his body no less than 20 times.” more »
A Lynn man was held on $10,000 cash bail today and may enter a substance abuse clinic following his arrest for assaulting an MBTA employee while shouting ethnic slurs at him earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DANIEL JOURDET (D.O.B. 5/2/52) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court this morning on charges of assault and battery, violation of civil rights, disorderly conduct, and trespassing, all incurred on the evening of April 1 on the inbound platform of Copley station. more »
Two would-be entrepreneurs were held on $1000 cash bail each today following their arrests by Transit Police for allegedly selling MBTA employee parking spaces at North Station before last night’s Celtics game, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DANIEL CAMPBELL (D.O.B. 9/17/62), who has no fixed residence, and THOMAS FITZPATRICK (D.O.B. 11/10/66) of Dorchester were arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court today on charges of trespassing and larceny. The charges stem from observations made at about 7:30 p.m. by MBTA Inspector Gregory Lowe, who saw the duo charging money for access to a private North Station parking lot for MBTA employees. more »
A Chelsea man charged with viciously beating a pregnant woman on Sunday was held without bail today pending a hearing at which prosecutors will argue that he cannot be safely released before trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
JOSE JOBSON (D.O.B. 5/31/83) was arraigned this morning in Dorchester District Court on charges of assault with intent to murder, mayhem, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, aggravated assault and battery, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, failure to stop for police, resisting arrest, two counts of assault and battery on a police officer, three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon, and a litany of motor vehicle offenses. more »
A Suffolk Superior Court jury this morning convicted the last of four defendants charged in a botched kidnapping ploy that nearly killed an Allston man two summers ago, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors found TYON FEASTER (D.O.B. 7/31/84) of Cambridge guilty of kidnapping with intent to commit extortion, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and attempted murder. The verdict came one day after the convictions of Feaster’s two male co-defendants, JOSEPH CALDWELL (D.O.B. 12/5/82) of Mattapan and DOMONIC CAMPBELL (D.O.B. 4/15/88) of Cambridge, and their femme fatale associate, JILLIAN JACQUES (D.O.B. 3/31/85) of Allston. more »
Two men were held without bail today at their arraignment on charges that they shared responsibility for the fatal shooting of Charles Cantave inside his car late last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARIO H. BURNS (D.O.B. 10/5/72) and CORNELIUS F. EVANS (D.O.B. 6/19/75), both of Dorchester, were formally charged with murder today in the very same courthouse at which Burns’ wife had filed a small claims action against the 36-year-old victim.
Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent told the court that Burns, his wife, and Cantave were present in the courthouse regarding that Dorchester District Court civil case on the morning of March 29. Video surveillance from the area shows a vehicle owned by Burns’ wife crossing paths with Cantave outside the courthouse as Cantave walked to his car near the corner of Washington and Park streets, Broadbent said. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the convictions of three kidnappers for an incident that nearly killed an Allston man in a botched ransom plot during the summer of 2008.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury today found JOSEPH CALDWELL (D.O.B. 12/5/82) of Mattapan and DOMONIC CAMPBELL (D.O.B. 4/15/88) of Cambridge guilty of kidnapping with intent to commit extortion, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and attempted murder. Jurors also found JILLIAN JACQUES (D.O.B. 3/31/85) of Allston guilty of kidnapping and aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon but acquitted her of attempted murder.
Jurors did not reach verdicts on a fourth co-defendant, TYON FEASTER (D.O.B. 7/31/84) of Cambridge, who is charged with the same offenses. Presiding Judge Frank Gaziano instructed jurors to resume their deliberations with regard to that defendant. more »
Bail was set at $10,000 cash today for a former basketball coach accused of bringing a New York boy to Boston and sexually assaulting him here more than 30 years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
In addition to setting the bail recommended by Assistant District Attorney Leora Joseph, Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Connie Wong also imposed the recommended conditions of release: That ROBERT “BOB” OLIVA (D.O.B. 12/30/44) have no contact with the alleged victim or witnesses in the case and that he have no contact with any child under the age of 16 during the pendency of his case.
Wong set a tentative trial date of May 3, 2011. more »
An Allston man who was kidnapped, tortured, and tied to a chair for 11 hours while his assailants undertook a ransom plot studied the faces of those who held him “in case he was allowed to live,” a Suffolk prosecutor said during closing arguments in the four-defendant trial.
JOSEPH CALDWELL (D.O.B. 12/5/82) of Mattapan, DOMONIC CAMPBELL (D.O.B. 4/15/88) of Cambridge, TYON FEASTER (D.O.B. 7/31/84) of Cambridge, and JILLIAN JACQUES, 23 (D.O.B. 3/31/85), of Allston are charged with kidnapping, attempted murder, and arson for the June 1, 2008, incident on Glenville Avenue.
“[The victim] is trying to stay alive,” said Assistant District Attorney Jeremy Bucci, chief of Suffolk DA Daniel F. Conley’s Narcotics Unit. “He’s paying attention to the people who did this to him. He’s looking at their faces in case he’s allowed to live.” more »
A Dorchester man was held without bail today following his indictment for allegedly shooting 28-year-old George “Jeffrey” Thompson to death in Thompson’s Dorchester home following an argument, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
OMAY TAVARES (D.O.B. 4/24/89) was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court today on charges of first-degree murder, possession of a firearm without a license as a subsequent offense, carrying a loaded firearm, and two counts of unlawful possession of ammunition, all in connection with the Jan. 7 inside Thompson’s Rosseter Street residence.
At the time of the shooting, Lundgren said, Tavares was on probation after serving an 18-month jail sentence for an unrelated firearm possession conviction. more »
A Dorchester man was held on high bail today after a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor recounted his alleged role in the fatal shooting of Charles Cantave a short time after the victim left a hearing in small claims court, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARIO F. BURNS (D.O.B. 10/5/72) was held on $750,000 cash bail following his arraignment on charges of being an accessory after the fact to Cantave’s homicide as he sat inside his car near the intersection of Washington and Park streets late last month. Additionally, Burns’ bail was revoked on an unrelated charge of operating a motor vehicle with a suspended license. more »
Jury selection is expected to begin today for the trial of four defendants charged with murdering 16-year-old Terrance Jacobs in broad daylight in Dorchester three years ago.
PAUL GOODE, a.k.a. PAUL JONES (D.O.B. 1/9/83), of Dorchester; MARKEESE MITCHELL (D.O.B. 4/9/91) of Brockton; PEDRO ORTIZ (D.O.B. 8/8/79) of Dorchester; and TERRANCE PABON (D.O.B. 1/22/90) of Dorchester are all charged with murder for the May 22, 2007, beating and stabbing that took Jacobs’ life on Havelock Street. more »
A Roxbury man was sentenced to 22 years in state prison today after admitting that he robbed and violently raped a woman at the Back Bay MBTA station in 2008, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RICHARD FLOWERS (D.O.B. 2/14/60) pleaded guilty to charges of aggravated rape, assault with intent to rape, kidnapping, and assault and battery. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Carol Ball handed down the sentence recommended by prosecutors: 19 to 22 years in state prison, followed by 15 years of probation. If Flowers reoffends during those 15 years, he could be surrendered and face life in prison. more »
A Brighton District Court judge today ordered an Allston man held without bail at his arraignment on charges that he fatally stabbed a man who objected when the defendant threw a bottle at his girlfriend, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
JULIO “FREDDIE” MARISCAL (D.O.B. 12/1/70), a.k.a JULIO CUELLAR, was charged with murder for the April 3 stabbing death of 40-year-old Jose Mendoza Villalta of Brighton inside the defendant’s Mansfield Street home. Investigators believe the stabbing took place Saturday night after Mariscal’s girlfriend drank a toast with Villalta, prompting Mariscal to throw a beer bottle at her and Villalta to decry that act. more »
The young man who provided his friend with the gun used to kill an innocent 13-year-old boy pleaded guilty today to that offense and others stemming from the Oct. 4, 2007, fatal shooting of Steven Odom, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
DAVID JOHNSON (D.O.B. 8/20/89) of Mattapan today admitted to charges of accessory before the fact to assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, accessory after the fact to murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and being an armed career criminal. more »
A Lynn man has been ordered not to drive if he posts the bail set during his arraignment on charges that he left the scene of a collision that took the life of 59-year-old Bianca Moreno near her Revere home this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
EVERTON MUIR (D.O.B. 10/2/84) was arraigned this afternoon in Chelsea District Court on a single count of leaving the scene of an accident causing death. more »