Press Releases from 2011
Jan 30, 2011

State Police homicide detectives assigned to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office and Revere Police are investigating the shooting death last night of a man inside a Revere residence.

Mario Rosa, 24, was pronounced dead at the scene by Cataldo Ambulance personnel shortly after Revere Police responded to his 170 Bellingham Ave. home just before 10:00 p.m. Rosa had sustained fatal gunshot injuries. more »


Jan 28, 2011

Though he didn’t fire the fatal shot, the man charged with murdering 17-year-old Roniel Marc bears responsibility for his death because he chose to engage in a gunfight in the middle of a residential neighborhood, a Suffolk County prosecutor said in opening statements today.

Marc was shot to death after an altercation erupted at a Hyde Park barbecue on July 4, 2008, Assistant District Attorney Daniel Mulhern said. KEVIN LOUIS (D.O.B. 7/2/87) of Hyde Park is charged with second-degree murder and firearms offenses for his death. more »


Jan 27, 2011

A Chelsea man was held on high bail today following his arraignment on charges that he was drunk when he drove into 36-year-old Julio Vaquerano in Chelsea last month, then left the scene, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LUIS GABRIEL ESCALANTE (D.O.B. 1/30/88) was arraigned in Chelsea District Court this afternoon on charges of felony motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident causing death, and operating under the influence of alcohol. Assistant District Attorney Gregory Henning of Conley’s Major Felony Bureau recommended that he be held on $250,000 cash bail; Judge Sabita Singh set bail at $100,000. more »


Jan 27, 2011

A Quincy man was released without monetary bail following his arraignment yesterday for allegedly driving a car toward a relative and two Boston Police officers during an incident in West Roxbury last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Assistant District Attorney Joseph Pagliarulo, the supervisor of Conley’s staff at West Roxbury District Court, recommended that ROBERT D. MAYNARD (D.O.B. 8/18/71) of Quincy be held on $1,000 bail during his arraignment on three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of malicious destruction of property. Judge Rosalind Miller declined to set monetary bail but did order Maynard to continue receiving mental health treatment. more »


Jan 26, 2011

A Chelsea man is under arrest for the death of 36-year-old Julio Vaquerano last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said tonight.

State Police homicide detectives assigned to Conley’s office and Chelsea Police detectives this evening arrested LUIS GABRIEL ESCALANTE (D.O.B. 1/30/88) on charges of felony motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident causing death, and operating under the influence. He is expected to be arraigned on those charges tomorrow morning in Chelsea District Court. more »


Jan 26, 2011

A Malden man spent an evening socializing with Angel Acevedo and Jenret Appleberry in their Chelsea home before shooting them to death in cold blood on Labor Day, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor said as he was formally charged with their murders.

In addition to two counts of first-degree murder, STEVEN ANDRE (D.O.B. 5/5/88) is charged with single counts of assault with a dangerous weapon for brandishing a gun at a third victim who was unharmed, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm. Assistant District Attorney John Pappas recommended that Andre be held without bail pending trial; Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson granted that request. more »


Jan 24, 2011

A Lynn man will serve at least six months behind bars for swinging at an MBTA inspector while shouting racist slurs in a downtown subway station last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DANIEL JOURDET (D.O.B. 5/2/57) pleaded guilty to assault and battery and violating a person’s civil rights as his trial was set to begin in the Boston Municipal Court today. Judge Mark Hart Summerville sentenced Jourdet to two and a half years in a house of correction with six months to serve up front and the balance suspended for a probationary period of three years. If Jourdet reoffends during that time, he could be ordered to serve out the remainder of his sentence. more »


Jan 24, 2011

A Newton man was charged today with groping a Boston woman on an MBTA trolley last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JACOB SHIN (D.O.B. 1/8/75) was arraigned this afternoon on a single count of indecent assault and battery. Assistant District Attorney Lawrence Bates recommended that he be held on $7,000 cash bail; Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons set bail at $5,000 and further ordered Shin to stay off the MBTA and wear a GPS monitoring device if he posts bail. more »


Jan 24, 2011

The state’s highest court last week upheld the 2007 conviction of a Chelsea man who raped a teenager before beating her to death with a rock and setting her body on fire, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

The Supreme Judicial Court on Wednesday unanimously affirmed MELVIN MARTINEZ’s convictions for first-degree murder and aggravated rape. The convictions stem from the July 16, 2002, rape and murder of 18-year-old Monica Mejia. more »


Jan 23, 2011

State Police detectives assigned to the Suffolk County District Attorney’s office are investigating a single-car rollover on 93 Southbound in Dorchester that left the vehicle’s passenger in critical condition early this morning.

PATRICK FAY (D.O.B. 7/27/86) of Holbrook is charged with operating under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle. He is expected to be arraigned in Dorchester District Court tomorrow. more »


Jan 21, 2011

The Mattapan man charged with murdering 22-year-old Cordell McAfee was held without bail today, three days after local, state, and federal authorities found him hiding beneath a bed in Rhode Island, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LAVONRENCE PERKINS (D.O.B. 3/26/90) was arraigned in Dorchester District Court on charges of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. The charges stem from McAfee’s shooting death in Dorchester last year. more »


Jan 21, 2011

The man who allegedly murdered a counselor at his group home in Revere yesterday was ordered off to a secure facility today for a mental health evaluation, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DESHAWN JAMES CHAPPELL (D.O.B. 9/9/83), formerly of Chelsea, was scheduled to be arraigned on a single count of murder for the death of 25-year-old Stephanie Moulton. Instead, after hearing from a court clinician, Chelsea District Court Judge James H. Wexler ordered Chappell transported to Bridgewater State Hospital. more »


Jan 20, 2011

A suspended State trooper pleaded guilty to four felonies today, admitting that he colluded with others to provide fraudulent vehicle inspection forms in exchange for cash payments, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

ROBERT A. FORREST, Jr., 62, pleaded guilty to all the charges for which he was indicted last year: bribery, making a false statement in an application for a title certificate, conspiracy to commit bribery, and conspiracy to make a false statement in an application for a title certificate. more »


Jan 20, 2011

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today joined Revere Police Chief Terence Reardon and delivered the following remarks at Revere Police Headquarters: more »


Jan 19, 2011

Suffolk County prosecutors today convinced a Roxbury District Court judge that a hate crime suspect was so dangerous as to warrant being held without bail pending trial, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

WILLIAM BRAXTON (D.O.B. 3/22/60), who claims residence at the St. Francis House shelter in Chinatown, was arraigned Jan. 14 on multiple assault- and civil rights-related offenses but held pending today’s hearing under the state’s so-called “dangerousness statute.” Braxton is charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, attempted robbery, violating a person’s civil rights, and disorderly conduct for allegedly kicking and beating two women while screaming homophobic slurs at them. more »


Jan 19, 2011

State Police assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are investigating the discovery of a dead body on Revere Beach Boulevard this morning.

The remains are those of an Asian male believed to be in his early 20s. Investigators have made a tentative identification but are waiting to confirm it and notify the man’s next of kin before releasing it. more »


Jan 19, 2011

The last of three men charged in connection with the murders of four people in an early-morning Mattapan massacre was held without bail following his arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

EDWARD WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 3/28/79) of Dorchester was arraigned today on four counts of murder for the Sept. 28 shooting deaths of Eyanna Flonory, 21, of Dorchester; her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith; Simba Martin, 21, of Dorchester; and LeVaughn Washum-Garrison, 22, of Roslindale. more »


Jan 18, 2011

A South Boston man allegedly confessed his guilt immediately after Boston Police gave him his Miranda rights following his arrest for the robbery of a Back Bay pharmacy, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

COLLIN M. WALLACE (D.O.B. 7/9/89) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court this morning on charges of armed robbery and resisting arrest. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Elle Rackmann, Judge Shannon Frisson set his bail at $10,000. more »


Jan 18, 2011

One of three men charged in connection with the fatal shootings of four people in Mattapan last year took part in the armed robbery that led to the murders but had driven the proceeds away from scene by the time they were committed, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s chief homicide prosecutor said in court today.

KIMANI WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 10/17/75) of Dorchester was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court this morning following his indictment for home invasion, armed robbery, armed carjacking, trafficking in more than 28 grams of cocaine, possession of marijuana with intent to distribute, and possession of a firearm as a Level III armed career criminal. more »


Jan 17, 2011

State Police homicide detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Chelsea Police detectives are investigating a single-car crash that killed a Chelsea man early this morning.

Evidence suggests that JOSE FUENTES (D.O.B. 5/20/86) of Chelsea was driving without a valid license when he drove a 2006 Cadillac CTS off an elevated portion of Route 1 northbound and onto Spruce Street, causing fatal injuries to his back seat passenger, 24-year-old Khang Luu, at about 2:00 this morning. more »


Jan 14, 2011

A Dorchester man was sent for a mental health evaluation yesterday after allegedly striking two women with his cane, hurling homophobic slurs at them, threatening to shoot the Boston Police who arrested him, and telling the judge who arraigned him that he would kill someone, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

HENRY L. ALEXANDER (D.O.B. 2/11/69) was arraigned yesterday in Dorchester District Court on two counts each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, violation of civil rights, assault with a dangerous weapon, and threats to commit a crime. more »


Jan 13, 2011

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today released the following statement on the appointment of First Assistant District Attorney Josh Wall as interim director of the Massachusetts Parole Board: more »


Jan 12, 2011

A Hyde Park man was held on high bail yesterday after a probation check-in turned up a handgun, ammunition, and substances believed to be marijuana and cocaine, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

West Roxbury District Court Judge Michael J. Coyne ordered DULIERE LEMAIRE (D.O.B. 2/1/78) held on $100,000 cash bail on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute, and unlawful possession of a Class D substance with intent to distribute. more »


Jan 11, 2011

A Mattapan remains behind bars today following his indictment and Superior Court arraignment as a principal in the murders of four people in Mattapan late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DWAYNE MOORE (D.O.B. 6/25/77) was formally charged today with four counts of first-degree murder for the Sept. 28 shooting deaths of Eyanna Flonory, 21, of Dorchester; her 2-year-old son, Amanihotep Smith; Simba Martin, 21, of Dorchester; and LeVaughn Washum-Garrison, 22, of Roslindale. more »


Jan 10, 2011

A Quincy man was held on half a million dollars’ cash bail today following his arraignment on charges that he pointed a loaded assault rifle at a Boston Police officer after a car and foot chase late Saturday night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MARVIN VEIGA (D.O.B. 2/15/89) was arraigned today on two counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and resisting arrest for allegedly pointing a loaded Colt .223 caliber semiautomatic rifle at a pair of Boston Police officers during the 11:00 incident near the intersection of Morrissey Boulevard and Freeport Street. more »


Jan 10, 2011

City and state officials will gather today in advance of tomorrow’s observance of National Human Trafficking Awareness Day to announce the region’s collaborative effort to end demand for human trafficking.

Assembling today are Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, State Representatives Liz Malia and Martin Walsh, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis and Boston Public Health Commission Chief Medical Officer Nancy Norman on behalf of Mayor Thomas M. Menino, Boston City Councilor-at-Large Ayanna Pressley, representatives of agencies based at the Family Justice Center of Boston, and leaders of about a dozen of the partner agencies comprising Suffolk County’s Support to End Exploitation Now (SEEN) program. more »


Jan 7, 2011

A 21-year-old Chelsea man was ordered held without bail today at his Suffolk Superior Court arraignment on charges that he allegedly stabbed 30-year-old Carlos Ramirez to death outside the defendant’s residence late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Indicted Dec. 21 by the Suffolk County Grand Jury, DENNIS BOWEN (D.O.B. 9/8/89) was formally charged today with one count of second-degree murder for Ramirez’ fatal stabbing outside 759 Broadway, where Bowen lived. more »


Jan 7, 2011

The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging three men with a total of 23 offenses stemming from the shooting deaths of two men, a young woman, and her infant son on Woolson Street last fall, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Jan 7, 2011

A Chelsea woman was held without bail following her arraignment on murder and arson charges stemming from the death of 20-year-old Crystal Lynn Blanchard in a fire on Christmas Eve, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MELISSA PFEIFFER (D.O.B. 1/12/84) and her boyfriend lived at 265 Spruce St. in an apartment below that of Blanchard and her boyfriend, Assistant District Attorney Mark Lee said during this afternoon’s proceedings in Chelsea District Court. more »


Jan 6, 2011

State Police homicide detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Chelsea Police detectives tonight arrested a Spruce Street woman in connection with the death of 20-year-old Crystal Lynn Blanchard in a Christmas Eve house fire.

MELISSA PFEIFFER (D.O.B. 1/12/84) is expected to face arraignment tomorrow in Chelsea District Court on charges of murder and arson. Pfeiffer was taken into custody this evening at Chelsea Police headquarters. more »


Jan 6, 2011

Suffolk County prosecutors will argue against the appeals of two convicted murderers tomorrow in separate cases arising out of the shooting deaths of innocent men felled by gang violence, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Members of Conley’s Appeals Division will challenge the appeals of ANDRE “DRE ROCK” WALKER (D.O.B. 8/5/80), currently serving a life term plus six to eight years for the 2000 shooting death of 18-year-old Francis Stephens and the non-fatal shooting of a second victim, and JOHN GOMES (D.O.B. 2/19/77), also serving life plus nine to 10 years for the 2002 shooting death of 45-year-old Ildobrando Correia. more »


Jan 5, 2011

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley took the oath of office for the fourth time this evening, entering his third full term as the chief law enforcement officer for Boston Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop at his alma mater, Suffolk University School of Law. 

“It’s no accident that district attorneys are the only members of the criminal justice system who are elected to office and stand directly accountable to the people they serve,” Conley said in remarks after leading 138 assistant district attorneys in their own oaths. “It is necessary and right that we prove ourselves worthy, in character and conduct, of the enormous powers we wield.”  more »


Jan 4, 2011

An East Boston man wanted for allegedly beating, slashing, and robbing a woman last summer was arrested this weekend and held on high bail at his arraignment yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PAUL A. MORANI (D.O.B. 7/13/87) was formally charged yesterday with multiple counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, as well as a single count of armed robbery and related offenses for the July 30 incident at the 20-year-old victim’s Revere home. Suffolk prosecutors recommended that he be held on $75,000 cash bail; Judge D. Dunbar Livingston set bail at $10,000. more »