Press Releases from 2011
Feb 28, 2011

A 29-year-old woman was charged with murder this morning for allegedly stabbing her boyfriend to death in her home on Friday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.

CHERRY CLINTON (2/28/82) was arraigned today in Dorchester District Court on a murder charge stemming from the fatal stabbing of 23-year-old Lancelot Reid of Dorchester in the Franklin Field housing development apartment where she lives. Judge Kenneth Desmond ordered that Clinton be held without bail. more »


Feb 28, 2011

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted three men of beating 22-year-old Jose “Danny” Alicea to death outside a downtown nightclub two summers ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors returned their verdicts this morning, convicting DANIEL EK (D.O.B. 7/13/86) and JOHAN GARCIA (D.O.B. 11/24/80), both of Lynn, and ANTHONY VILLALOBOS (D.O.B. 12/29/87) of Revere of involuntary manslaughter. On Feb. 4, the fifth day of trial, JASON BENALFEW (D.O.B. 11/13/82) of Lynn pleaded guilty to the same offense. more »


Feb 27, 2011

State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Chelsea Police detectives are seeking a vehicle in connection with a violent physical assault early this morning on Parker Street.

The vehicle is described as a four-door, gray car, possibly a Nissan Altima or an Audi and possibly manufactured in the early 2000s, with red numbered license plates. Authorities believe the driver of the vehicle, a dark-haired adult male between 5’7” and 5’10” with a medium build, may have information helpful to investigators. more »


Feb 25, 2011

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today acquitted a Roxbury man of murder in connection with the March 30, 2007, shooting death of 18-year-old Dwayne Graham as Graham rode a crowded MBTA bus.

JONATHAN SANDERS (D.O.B. 7/8/89) had been charged with murder for the incident, in which Graham was shot in the head as his Route 23 bus was stopped near the intersection of Normandy and Washington streets. Sanders died of his injury the next day. more »


Feb 24, 2011

A Jamaica Plain man and his Roxbury passenger were held on $5,000 cash bail today for allegedly driving at a Boston Police officer during a motor vehicle stop yesterday evening, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PEDRO OSCAR ARROYO SANTANA (D.O.B. 11/1/89), the driver, and KELVIN ALBERTO DIAZ SOTO (D.O.B. 11/28/85), his passenger, were arraigned in Roxbury District Court today on charges of armed assault to murder. As the operator of the 1998 Honda Accord, Santana was additionally charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. more »


Feb 24, 2011

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today named Patrick M. Haggan his new first assistant, placing the office’s highly-regarded chief trial counsel in charge of all prosecutions in Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop.

“Throughout his career, Pat Haggan has demonstrated all of the qualities and values I hold dear,” Conley said. “He discharges his duties with adherence to the highest level of professional ethics. He is an incredibly hard worker and is always willing to help another with advice and counsel. Pat possesses the legal ability, the talent, and the unerring judgment that the job of first assistant district attorney requires.” more »


Feb 22, 2011

A Suffolk County homicide prosecutor today urged a panel of jurors to use a murder defendant’s alleged admissions and “hold him to his words.”

JONATHAN SANDERS (D.O.B. 7/8/89) is charged with second-degree murder for the March 30, 2007, shooting death of 18-year-old Dwayne Graham as Graham rode a crowded MBTA bus near the intersection of Normandy and Washington streets. more »


Feb 15, 2011

Former Boston Celtics guard and Hub native Dana Barros and a live musical act will join Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley next week at the DA’s annual Basketball for Peace event in Dorchester next week, with every young attendee receiving free tickets to the Boston Sports Museum.

Now in their third year, the Feb. 22 games will also feature free food and drink from mainstay supporters at The Olive Garden, which also provides refreshments for Conley’s Soccer for Peace tournaments each summer. more »


Feb 15, 2011

A motor vehicle homicide suspect was back in court today after police found a marijuana grow room while executing a search warrant at his Roslindale home, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

COLIN RATIU (D.O.B. 11/27/87) and his wife, SADE HOLLIDAY (D.O.B. 2/1/86), were arraigned this morning in West Roxbury District Court on charges of cultivating marijuana and possession of a Class D substance with intent to distribute. more »


Feb 14, 2011

A district court judge today ordered that a Roslindale man who allegedly struck and killed a scooter operator in Roxbury and then fled the scene not drive during the pendency of the case, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

COLIN RATIU (D.O.B. 11/27/87) was arraigned at the Roxbury District Court and charged with one count of motor vehicle homicide and leaving the scene of an accident causing death. Assistant District Attorney David Bradley of Conley’s Major Felony Bureau requested that Ratiu be held on $25,000 cash bail, and, should he make bail, that he surrender his passport and that he not drive during the pendency of the case. Judge David Poole ordered that the defendant be held on $7,500 bail, and imposed the Commonwealth’s recommended conditions. more »


Feb 14, 2011

A Roslindale youth was held without bail today as he was formally charged with the murder of 21-year-old Richard Allen on board an MBTA bus last fall, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In addition to being held for Allen’s fatal stabbing, KIM GROSS, Jr. (D.O.B. 12/7/92), was held on $25,000 cash bail for allegedly stabbing a second victim non-fatally during the same Nov. 2 incident on a Route 44 bus near the intersection of Humboldt Avenue and Wyoming Street. more »


Feb 14, 2011

Suffolk County appellate prosecutors have prevailed at the Supreme Judicial Court in three recent challenges to first-degree murder convictions, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

“Boston Police and Suffolk prosecutors alike know a homicide case doesn’t end with an arrest, an indictment, or even a conviction,” Conley said. “It ends with an argument before the state’s highest court. Our Appeals Division has earned its reputation for excellence in legal research and oral presentation of every single case.” more »


Feb 11, 2011

A suspect is in custody for a double stabbing on an MBTA bus last year that left one young man dead and another injured, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis and Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Boston Police today arrested KIM GROSS, Jr. (D.O.B. 12/7/92), of Roslindale on a murder charge stemming from the Nov. 2, 2010, stabbing death of 21-year-old Richard Allen. Gross is additionally charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the non-fatal stabbing of a second victim, then 18, and unlawful possession of a firearm for an unregistered firearm recovered from the car in which he was arrested today. more »


Feb 10, 2011

A Hyde Park man acquitted of murder was sentenced to the maximum penalty for possessing a firearm in the vicinity of a fatal 2008 shootout, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frank Gaziano sentenced KEVIN LOUIS (D.O.B. 7/2/87) to four years and 11 months to five years in state prison, the term recommended by Assistant District Attorney Daniel Mulhern following Louis’ conviction Tuesday for unlawful possession of a firearm. more »


Feb 10, 2011

An “ongoing, intense hatred between two gangs” led to angry words and then a gunshot that left 18-year-old Dwayne Graham dead on the floor of an MBTA bus, a senior Suffolk County homicide prosecutor said today.

That shot was fired by JONATHAN SANDERS (D.O.B. 7/8/89) as the Route 23 bus on which Graham was riding near the intersection of Washington Street and Columbia Road in Dorchester on the afternoon of March 30, 2007. Sanders is on trial for first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. more »


Feb 8, 2011

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today acquitted a Hyde Park man of murder charges stemming from the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Roniel Marc but convicted him of three gun crime he committed during the fatal 2008 gun battle.

Jurors acquitted KEVIN LOUIS (D.O.B. 7/2/87) of second-degree murder but convicted him of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. Louis will be sentenced for those offenses Thursday morning at 9:00. more »


Feb 8, 2011

A former Mattapan man was sentenced to life in prison today following his admission to the 1995 murder of Zandera Sullivan in a crime of deadly domestic violence, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PATRICK ANTHONY BROWN (D.O.B. 9/12/73), also known as DERRICK MALLOY, pleaded guilty yesterday to the crimes of second-degree murder and armed home invasion as his trial was scheduled to begin in Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Feb 7, 2011

After more than 15 years of evading justice for the murder of Zandera Sullivan, a former Mattapan resident today admitted to stabbing the Jamaica Plain man to death in what prosecutors called a deadly act of domestic violence, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PATRICK ANTHONY BROWN (D.O.B. 9/12/73), also known as DERRICK MALLOY, pleaded guilty to the crimes of second-degree murder and armed home invasion as his trial was scheduled to begin in Suffolk Superior Court this morning. He faces a mandatory life term when Judge Judith Fabricant sentences him tomorrow morning. more »


Feb 1, 2011

A Dorchester teen was committed to the Department of Youth Services today following his admission to a stabbing spree last year that left his mother near death, three other female relatives with stab wounds, and two others with serious injuries.

DARIUS YOUNG (D.O.B. 2/25/93) pleaded guilty on Jan. 19 to five counts of armed assault with intent to murder and seven counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for incidents in his Dorchester home on Feb. 3, 2010, and at his then-girlfriend’s Revere home on Feb. 7, 2010. Suffolk prosecutors indicted Young as a youthful offender, exposing him to the same penalties as an adult. more »