Press Releases from 2011
Apr 29, 2011

A Quincy man was held without bail pending a probation surrender hearing following his arraignment for allegedly bringing a loaded handgun to the parking lot of Roxbury District Court yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

At his arraignment today in the very same courthouse, JAQUAN BENNETT (D.O.B. 6/6/91) was held on $25,000 cash bail on the new arrest, which charges him as a second or subsequent gun offender. He was also held without bail as authorities seek an additional hearing for his alleged violation of probation. Bennett is on probation until September 2012 in connection with a 2009 firearm conviction in the Suffolk County Gun Court for which he served 18 months in the house of correction. more »


Apr 27, 2011

A Dorchester man will serve up to 15 years in state prison for a shooting that partially paralyzed a teenager who shielded his younger brother from the barrage, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DAUNTE BEAL (D.O.B. 8/3/87) was convicted March 25 of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm as a Level II armed career criminal, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. Jurors acquitted him of an additional count of armed assault with intent to murder. more »


Apr 26, 2011

A 37-year-old man charged with killing a 56-year-old man in the victim’s Bellingham Street apartment last year was today ordered held without bail, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MARIO CRUZADO (D.O.B. 7/10/73), who has no permanent address, was charged with one count of murder for the Nov. 26, 2010 homicide of Frederick Allen. A Medical Examiner determined that the victim died of blunt force trauma to the head. Cruzado was arrested last night by members of the Massachusetts State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section, State Police detectives assigned to DA Conley’s office, and Chelsea Police Department officers in the South End on a homicide warrant that was issued on April 13. more »


Apr 25, 2011

A Revere man was held on $15,000 cash bail today as prosecutors detailed the injuries he allegedly inflicted upon his girlfriend’s 5-year-old son last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSEPH TESTA (D.O.B. 5/19/82) was formally charged today with assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury, wantonly or recklessly permitting serious bodily injury to a child, and child endangerment. Assistant District Attorney David Deakin recommended that he be held on $250,000 bail. more »


Apr 22, 2011

Revere Police and State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office today arrested a Revere man in connection with serious injuries to a 5-year-old boy.

JOSEPH TESTA (D.O.B. 5/19/82) was taken into custody this afternoon on charges of assault and battery on a child causing serious bodily injury, wantonly or recklessly permitting bodily injury to a child, and child endangerment. He is expected to be arraigned Monday in Chelsea District Court. more »


Apr 22, 2011

A one-time gang leader will serve at least 30 years in state prison for shooting a former ally in the back, paralyzing him and leaving him to die, all because the victim tried to renounce gang life, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frank Gaziano sentenced DONALD RAY WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 10/4/84) of Dorchester to 19 to 20 years in prison for the attempted murder of a 20-year-old man who had once been his best friend, an additional 11- to 15- year term for inflicting injuries that will require the man to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life, and concurrent house of correction terms for unlawfully carrying the loaded firearm he used in the attack. more »


Apr 21, 2011

A Dorchester gang member was convicted today of trying to murder a one-time friend, shooting him in the back and paralyzing him for renouncing gang life, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury found DONALD RAY WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 10/4/84), a.k.a. “MANN,” guilty of armed assault with intent to murder, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. The attack left the victim with injuries that will require him to use a wheelchair for the rest of his life. more »


Apr 19, 2011

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a former Chelsea resident of stabbing his roommate to death, killing him, in an altercation early last year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors convicted MARVIN RUANO GARCIA (D.O.B. 4/28/85) of voluntary manslaughter for stabbing 50-year-old Israel Vasquez 30 times – including 10 times in the neck – before dumping him head first into a trash barrel and heading off to work on the morning of Jan. 5, 2010. more »


Apr 14, 2011

Two Roxbury youths were arraigned on felony charges this morning at their arraignment in connection with an assault on an MBTA bus driver that led to a slow-motion crash on Dudley Street, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Assistant District Attorney Andrius Knasas recommended that MICHAEL ANTHONY BAPTISTA (D.O.B. 1/13/92) and FELIX GARCIA (D.O.B. 8/24/92) be held on $10,000 cash bail each as they were formally charged with assault and battery on a public employee and wrongful interference with a passenger vehicle. Baptista was additionally charged with threatening to commit a crime. Knasas further recommended that both defendants wear a GPS tracking device, check in weekly with probation officers, stay away from the victim and witnesses, and abide by a curfew if they post bail. more »


Apr 11, 2011

The former head administrative clerk for the City of Boston’s Veterans’ Services Department was formally charged today with a litany of fraud-related offenses for allegedly overpaying health care aides and demanding cash in return, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSEPH H. MILLER (D.O.B. 9/3/53) of Beverly was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court this morning on a 20-count indictment charging him with seven counts of false statements by a public employee, seven counts of procurement fraud, two counts of solicitation of gifts by a public employee, two counts of larceny over $250, and single counts of attempted extortion and attempted larceny over $250. more »


Apr 10, 2011

State Police, Boston Police, and Suffolk County prosecutors are reminding residents and local colleges to use caution along the Charles River Esplanade in light of a sexual assault reported in that area last night.

The reminder comes after a student at an area college reported being assaulted as she sat on a park bench near Massachusetts Avenue at about 11:30 p.m. The assailant is described as a black male about 25 to 30 years old, 6’1” to 6’2”, about 230 lbs, with short hair and a missing front tooth. He was wearing black sweatpants and a green top. The man is said to have engaged the student in a lengthy conversation before assaulting her. She fled the area on foot and reported the assault after going to a friend’s residence to call Boston Police. more »


Apr 8, 2011

The Suffolk County Special Grand Jury today returned a sweeping 20-count indictment charging the former head administrative clerk for Boston’s Veterans’ Services Department with demanding kickbacks from two women he paid as health care aides, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The indictments charge JOSEPH H. MILLER (D.O.B. 9/3/53) of Beverly with seven counts of false statements by a public employee, seven counts of procurement fraud, two counts of solicitation of gifts by a public employee, two counts of larceny over $250, and single counts of extortion and attempted larceny over $250. more »


Apr 8, 2011

A Hyde Park man will spend more than a decade behind bars after a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted him of raping a young girl multiple times between 1998 and 2001, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

FRITZ OLMANDE (D.O.B. 8/13/60) was convicted yesterday of four counts of rape of a child and one count of indecent assault and battery on a child. The convictions followed a three-day trial and about a day of deliberations. more »


Apr 6, 2011

The second defendant charged in Fred Bing’s 2009 homicide pleaded guilty today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ABIONA SHARPE (D.O.B. 6/3/89) of Revere pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the 49-year-old Dorchester man’s shooting death on Wilcock Street on the night of May 13, 2009. He was sentenced to the mandatory life term plus a two-and-a-half-year house of correction sentence for unlawfully possessing the .22 caliber rifle he used that night. more »


Apr 6, 2011

The former director of the Revere Public Library was ordered not to leave the country today as he was formally charged with 21 counts of larceny, fraud, and embezzlement for allegedly using city funds to buy items he kept for himself or sold online, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The Suffolk County Grand Jury on March 15 indicted ROBERT RICE (D.O.B. 5/5/65) of Rowley for three counts of larceny over $350, three counts of embezzlement by a city officer, and 15 counts of procurement fraud. He was arraigned on those charges this morning in Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Apr 5, 2011

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a 37-year-old Boston man of multiple counts of larceny for using fake checks and purchase orders to get companies around the country to send him merchandise without paying for it, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.

KERR CARRINGTON (D.O.B. 1/10/74) was convicted of 13 counts of larceny, nine counts of attempted larceny, and 13 counts of uttering a false check, for offenses that occurred from May 2005 until his arrest in February of 2006. Judge Patrick Brady sentenced Carrington to eight-years in prison. That sentence is to be served consecutively following his completion of a 12- to 15-year sentence he is currently serving for convictions out of Middlesex and Essex Counties for similar offenses. more »


Apr 5, 2011

A Suffolk County prosecutor today convinced a Boston Municipal Court judge that a 32-year-old Somerville man was so dangerous as to warrant being held without bail pending trial, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSE GONZALEZ (D.O.B. 12/16/78) was arraigned yesterday and charged with mayhem for allegedly severing two of his girlfriend’s fingers with a knife. He was held pending this afternoon’s hearing under the state’s so-called “dangerousness statute.” more »


Apr 4, 2011

A Suffolk County prosecutor today told a Superior Court jury that MARVIN RUANO GARCIA (D.O.B. 4/28/85) stabbed his roommate a total of 30 times – including 10 times in the neck – before dumping him head first into a trash barrel and heading off to work.

Assistant District Attorney John Pappas told the court that Garcia, a resident of 96 Grove St. in Chelsea, started Jan. 5, 2010, in one of the most morbid ways possible. more »


Apr 4, 2011

A former high school basketball coach from New York has pleaded guilty to all indicted charges stemming from the abuse of a young player during a trip to Boston 35 years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

ROBERT “BOB” OLIVA, now a resident of South Carolina, pleaded guilty to two counts of statutory rape of a child and one count of disseminating pornography to a minor. The charges reflect Oliva’s actions during a trip he took to Boston with a boy, then 14, in the summer of 1976. more »