A robbery suspect inadvertently set the stage for his own arrest when he allegedly stole a delivery driver’s GPS-enabled iPhone during the second of two robberies, then sold it to an electronics store with a video surveillance camera, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DEONTE P. CURRY (D.O.B. 5/6/91) of Everett was arraigned yesterday in Dorchester District Court on two separate dockets charging him with armed robbery. Both robberies targeted pizza deliverymen called to the area of 110 Monsignor Lydon Way earlier this month. more »
A Chelsea man is behind bars today for allegedly kicking a pregnant woman and stabbing another rival so badly that the man needed more than 93 staples to close a wound on his back, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MIGUEL A. RODRIGUEZ (D.O.B. 8/8/92) was arraigned yesterday in Chelsea District Court on charges of armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, armed robbery, and two counts of aggravated assault and battery. more »
A Roslindale man was today sentenced to serve five years in jail after he admitted that he was under the influence of alcohol when he struck and killed 23-year-old Andrew Prior in a collision on Tremont Street before fleeing the scene, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
COLIN RATIU (D.O.B. 11/27/87) pleaded guilty to one count each of motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence of alcohol, and leaving the scene of an accident causing death for his role in the Nov. 14, 2010 collision. more »
A former director of the Revere Public Library and a former administrative clerk for the City of Boston’s Veterans’ Services Department both admitted to stealing from their employers in separate proceedings today in the Suffolk Superior Court, and were each ordered to pay restitution to the respective cities of Revere and Boston, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROBERT RICE (D.O.B. 5/5/65) of Rowley pleaded guilty to three counts of embezzlement and 15 counts of procurement fraud for using city funds to purchase items he kept himself or sold online from 2005 until his resignation in 2009. During that time, he was alleged to have stolen in excess of $200K. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury late yesterday returned indictments charging five Dorchester men in connection with the Sept. 25, 2011 shooting death of a 16-year-old boy and the non-fatal shooting of his 14-year-old friend on Geneva Avenue, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments each charge SHELDON MATTIS (D.O.B. 1/22/93) and NYASANI WATT (D.O.B. 10/5/93), with first-degree murder, armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing serious bodily injury, unlawful possession of a firearm, and carrying a loaded firearm. Watt was additionally indicted on a second charge of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and possession of a large capacity feeding device for a handgun he had on him at the time of his arrest on November 3. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury this afternoon returned indictments charging two Mattapan men with the July homicides of 24-year-old Billie Kee and her boyfriend, 32-year-old Kevin Thomas, in their Hyde Park apartment, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments charge MICHAEL T. CORBIN (D.O.B. 11/10/78) and EARL FULGIAM (D.O.B. 4/14/80), with two counts each of first-degree murder and armed robbery, and one count each of unlawful possession of a firearm, carrying a loaded weapon, and unlawful possession of a large capacity feeding device, all in connection with the July 26 shooting deaths. more »
The Suffolk County Grand Jury late today returned a nine-count indictment charging a Dorchester youth with the October homicide of 36-year-old Ciaran Conneely on Nahant Avenue, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments charge JOHN GRAHAM, 17, with first-degree murder, armed assault with intent to rob, and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with Conneely’s Oct. 10 shooting death.
The indictments additionally charge Graham with two counts of armed assault with intent to rob and single counts of armed assault with intent to murder, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm for an Oct. 30 incident in which Graham allegedly shot two adult men during the course of an attempted robbery on Monsignor Lydon Way.
Boston Police arrested Graham on Nov. 6 for the later incident; he is currently held on $100,000 cash bail on that case. In light of evidence developed during the non-fatal shooting investigation, Boston Police homicide detectives continued to gather information – including information presented to the grand jury in the days and weeks that followed – leading to today’s indictments.
Graham has not been formally arrested for Conneely’s slaying, but a warrant has been entered and he will remain in custody until he is arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court. An arraignment date has not yet been scheduled. No further information will be released this evening.
An Allston man’s frustration over vermin in his Franklin Street apartment building landed him in Brighton District Court today on charges that he fired an unlicensed rifle at the rats in the halls, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
WILLIAM McABEE (D.O.B. 8/16/54) was arraigned for unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling. Judge Kenneth V. Desmond set his bail at $2,500. more »
A Roxbury woman will serve at least 15 months behind bars for lying to the Suffolk County Grand Jury as it investigated the 2007 shooting death of 13-year-old Luis Gerena, Jr., District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Conley’s office recommended that DESTINY GUNN (D.O.B. 9/2/89) serve five years in state prison following her Nov. 8 admission to the crime of perjury. Today, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Raymond Brassard sentenced her to two and a half years in a house of correction, with 15 months to serve up front and the balance suspended for a three-year probationary term. more »
A Tewksbury man remains hospitalized today after his alleged assailant was arraigned on attempted murder charges stemming from the weekend incident in Revere, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMAAL ANDRADE (D.O.B. 6/10/83) of Swampscott was charged yesterday in Chelsea District Court, where Assistant District Attorney Andrew Miller recommended bail of $75,000. Judge James Wexler set bail at $5,000. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley is asking lawmakers to close a loophole in the statute that currently forbids sexual contact between inmates and corrections officers but places no restrictions on court officers and other officials.
Conley took that step today after securing the indictment of MICHAEL J. RUBINO, 35, of Braintree on a list of charges related to sexual activity between himself and two female defendants at the Boston Municipal Court between 2010 and 2011. Rubino was additionally charged with lying to Boston Police detectives investigating that alleged misconduct. more »
A teacher’s assistant has been ordered to stay away from the Harbor Pilot Middle School in Dorchester after his arraignment for alleged improper activity with a child there this week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
LaSHAWN HILL (D.O.B. 3/10/78) of Dorchester was formally charged today with lewd and lascivious conduct, a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months in a house of correction. The charge stems from an incident Monday afternoon at the school. more »
Victim-witness advocates from Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office will bring a bounty of toys to the families of crime victims this holiday season after amassing a record number of donations to their annual toy drive.
Dozens upon dozens of gifts poured into donation boxes at Conley’s nine district court offices and downtown headquarters this week after one seasoned victim advocate sent out an impassioned plea in light of a slow start to the DA’s annual toy drive, organized by VWAs Katherine Moran, Tim Munzert, and Jennifer Sears. more »
The East Boston man who summoned Luis Raul Rodriguez out of his Central Avenue home for a fistfight, only to shoot him dead, was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to life in prison today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors convicted JONATHAN CARVALHO (D.O.B. 10/29/89) after about a day and a half of deliberations following seven days of testimony about Rodriguez’ Aug. 10, 2010, shooting death. Under the mandatory sentence imposed by Judge Regina Quinlan, he will be eligible for parole after 15 years. more »
The region’s largest utility workers’ union today joined Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley to make the holiday season a little brighter for the surviving family members of homicide victims.
Utility Workers Union of America Local 369 brought 30 frozen turkeys to Conley’s annual breakfast for homicide survivors this morning. The low-key event reunites survivors with prosecutors, victim advocates, investigators, and others who worked on their cases. more »
After a comprehensive review of the evidence, Suffolk County prosecutors today terminated the criminal case against JULIAN EDELMAN, arrested outside a downtown nightclub in the early morning hours of Nov. 1.
“After a thorough investigation of this case by the Boston Police Department’s Sexual Assault Unit … the Commonwealth has concluded that it would not be able to meet its burden at trial of proving each of the elements of indecent assault and battery beyond a reasonable doubt,” prosecutors wrote in a nolle prosequi – a legal document withdrawing prosecution – filed in court this morning, well in advance of Edelman’s first scheduled court date on Jan. 10. more »
The region’s largest utility workers’ union is teaming up with Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley to make the holiday season a little brighter for the surviving family members of homicide victims.
Utility Workers Union of America Local 369 will deliver about 30 turkeys and hams to Conley’s annual breakfast for homicide survivors this morning. The annual breakfast brings survivors together with prosecutors, victim advocates, investigators, and others who worked on their cases.
“Each year we host an informal gathering of parents, siblings, spouses and others affected by homicide,” Conley said. “These are folks we’ve built a relationship with over a period of many years. So when Local 369 reached out to see how they could help the families who need it most, we knew exactly who to connect them with.” more »
The Dorchester man convicted of gunning down 17-year-old Thomas Webb was sentenced to life in prison today, but not before the slain youth’s family mourned his loss in Suffolk Superior Court, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A jury convicted ELBERT NEWSON (D.O.B. 12/9/88) of first-degree murder and unlawful firearm possession today, just over a week after his trial on those charges began. Judge Christine McEvoy imposed the mandatory sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole. more »
Sixteen men and women arrested at Dewey Square early Saturday morning accepted Suffolk County prosecutors’ offers of pre-trial probation today, with an additional group of eight individuals demanding criminal proceedings in the Boston Municipal Court.
Of those 16 defendants, a dozen were charged with trespassing and resisting arrest. All were male and most were residents of Boston, with one man being homeless and three residing in Brookline, Hanson, and Whitman. In light of their acceptance of responsibility and the passive nature of their resistance to Boston Police, the resisting arrest charges were dismissed and their arraignments were continued for one year. more »
A Boston University student from Canada was ordered to surrender his passport to Massachusetts authorities after allegedly sexually assaulting a female student at a university dormitory this weekend, Suffolk county District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
COREY TRIVINO (D.O.B. 1/12/90) was arraigned yesterday in Brighton District Court on charges that he forced his way into a female student’s room at 10 Buick St. and repeatedly groped her late Sunday night. more »
Rosanna Camilo, who came to Boston to seek medical care for her young child, was sexually assaulted and strangled to death by a neighbor at her Mattapan apartment building, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
ELDRICK D. BROOM (D.O.B. 4/7/84) of Roxbury was arraigned today on charges of murder and aggravated rape for Camilo’s Nov. 21 homicide. Prosecutors recommended that he be held without bail on the murder charge and that his open bail on an unrelated assault and battery charge be revoked; Judge Robert Baylor granted the former request but delayed action on the latter until Jan. 31. more »
A Roxbury man is under arrest this morning for the homicide of Rosanna Camilo in her Fairlawn Avenue apartment last month, Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
ELDRICK D. BROOM (D.O.B. 4/7/84) faces arraignment on a murder charge today in Dorchester District Court. Boston Police homicide detectives took Broom into custody last night amid the ongoing investigation into Camilo’s death. more »
A notorious confidence man admitted his guilt in court yesterday, accepting a state prison sentence and agreeing to leave Massachusetts after his release rather than face trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DAVID WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 11/12/63), a.k.a. RAY DIAMOND, RUDY DIAMOND, and RUBY DIAMOND, of Dorchester pleaded guilty to a total of 25 indictments charging larceny and uttering for scamming almost a dozen people out of cash amounts up to $1,000 between October and December of last year. more »
Luis Raul Rodriguez was shot to death after agreeing to a “fair fight” with a rival outside his Chelsea home last year, Suffolk County prosecutors said as his alleged killer’s trial opened today.
JONATHAN CARVALHO (D.O.B. 10/29/89) of East Boston is charged with first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm for Rodriguez’ Aug. 10, 2010, shooting death on Central Avenue. more »
One of Thomas Webb’s last living acts was to pet a dog in the company of his friends, a Suffolk County homicide prosecutor told a Superior Court jury today.
Assistant District Attorney David Fredette of DA Daniel F. Conley’s Homicide Unit said Webb, 17, was killed in front of 923 Parker St. on the night of Sept. 15, 2008, and that ELBERT NEWSON (D.O.B. 12/9/88) was one of the men responsible. more »
A Dorchester teen is behind bars today after allegedly robbing a disabled woman of her iPad at gunpoint last month while out on bail for an unrelated offense, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The 16-YEAR-OLD MALE, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, was arraigned Friday in West Roxbury District Court on an armed robbery charge stemming from the Nov. 19 incident in Hyde Park. Assistant District Attorney Caitlin Grasso recommended $10,000 cash bail and asked that his open bail on a Cambridge larceny case be revoked. Juvenile Court Judge Garrett McManus granted both of those requests. more »
Two Suffolk County homicide trials are expected to begin today, one with opening statements and one with jury selection.
ELBERT NEWSON (D.O.B. 12/9/88) of Dorchester is charged with first-degree murder for the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Thomas Webb. Webb was shot repeatedly on Parker Street near the Bromley Heath housing development on the night of Sept. 15, 2008, and died of his injuries at Boston Medical Center a short time later. more »
Prosecutors from Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today that DNA evidence implicated a South Boston man in the murder of 65-year-old Barbara Tagen, who had accused the man of stealing her prescription pills.
ADAM J. CASSINO (D.O.B 5/9/86) remains held without bail following his indictment for first-degree murder in her slaying. Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson set a trial date of Nov. 26, 2012. more »
State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are asking witnesses to come forward as they investigate last week’s motor vehicle fatality in the Tip O’Neill Tunnel.
Investigators want to speak with the occupants of two vehicles that were in close proximity to the collision that claimed the life of a 74-year-old Somerville man on the morning of Nov. 25. They stressed that detectives are only looking for information those witness might have in order to ensure the most thorough investigation possible. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office yesterday convinced a judge that a seven-time drunk driver recently arrested for the same offense is too dangerous to release on bail.
Acting under Ch. 276, Sect. 58A, of the Massachusetts General Laws, Chelsea District Court Judge James Wexler ordered ALBERT DIAZ (D.O.B. 8/16/59) of East Boston held without bail for up to 90 days pending trial. The state’s so-called “dangerousness statute” allows a judge to detain defendants accused of certain crimes upon “clear and convincing evidence that no conditions of release will reasonably assure the safety of any other person or the community.” more »