The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned a six-count indictment charging a former teacher with sexually assaulting two children and recording the abuse, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
Specifically, the indictments charge DAVID ETTLINGER (D.O.B. 7/6/77) of Brighton with two counts each of aggravated assault and battery on a child under 14, posing a child in a state of nudity, and secretly photographing a nude or semi-nude person. The indictments move Ettlinger’s previous cases from Brighton and West Roxbury municipal courts to Suffolk Superior Court, where he is expected to be arraigned on March 1. more »
A Dorchester man’s court-ordered GPS monitoring device placed him at the scene of Anthony Depina’s homicide when the 23-year-old victim was shot dead last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.
JASON BARBOSA (D.O.B. 1/8/89) was arraigned today in Roxbury District Court on murder charges stemming from Depina’s Feb. 23 homicide. Assistant District Attorney Amy Galatis of Conley’s Homicide Unit recommended that he be held without bail and Judge David Poole granted that request. more »
A Methuen man was arraigned on a kidnapping charge today after the mother of his child made a frantic call to police saying that he would not let her out of his car, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
KENNETH TOZIER, Jr. (D.O.B. 4/29/87) was arraigned in South Boston District Court, where Assistant District Attorney Katherine Powell recommended that he be held on the $100,000 cash bail imposed after his weekend arrest and be ordered to stay away from the victim and her child while the case is pending; Judge Michael Bolden set bail at $750, but imposed the stay-away order. more »
In addition to organizing the all-day affair, Conley recognized six local leaders as “true role models” for city youth: Erin Collins, the creator of a successful violence prevention program at a Boston school; Adam Gray, the 2012 Massachusetts Teacher of the Year; Deputy Superintendent William Gross of the Boston Police Department; Dr. Thea James, director of the Boston Medical Center’s Violence Intervention Program and member of the Attorney General’s National Task Force on Children Exposed to Violence; Assistant District Attorney Migdalia Nalls, a Suffolk prosecutor and coach for the Massachusetts Bar Association High School Mock Trial Program; and Clayton Turnbull, an entrepreneur and advocate for minority-owned businesses in Boston. more »
Three young women were arraigned today and face more charges for an alleged hate crime at the Forest Hills MBTA station, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ERIKA STROUD (D.O.B. 8/20/90) of Dorchester, her sister, FELICIA STROUD (D.O.B. 8/21/93), of West Roxbury, and LYDIA SANFORD (D.O.B. 6/28/91) of Dorchester were formally charged in West Roxbury District Court today with violating the civil rights of a 43-year-old Boston man on the evening of Feb. 19. more »
A Dorchester man has been found guilty of 11 separate charges yesterday for repeatedly raping two young family friends over a period of years, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury yesterday convicted KENNETH WARD (D.O.B. 3/8/68) of five counts of rape of a child and six counts of indecent assault and battery on a child for sexual assaults on the two girls when the younger of them was just seven years old. Both victims came forward two years ago, Conley said. more »
A Dorchester man yesterday admitted to strangling his wife to death during an argument in the room they shared in a Bicknell Street rooming house, accepting a lengthy prison sentence rather than face trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROGER PARON, Jr. (D.O.B. 4/30/59), pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter for the Sept. 4, 2010, slaying of 39-year-old Victoria Paron. At the request of Assistant District Attorney David Deakin, Judge Regina Quinlan sentenced him to a term of 15 to 18 years in state prison. Manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 20 years. more »
A Dorchester man will serve up to 20 years in state prison for shooting four people outside a Blue Hill Avenue tavern in 2009, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Suffolk Superior Court Judge Patrick Brady sentenced CHARKEEM HYATT (D.O.B. 12/10/89) to three concurrent terms of 12 to 15 years in state prison, each for a count of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for which Hyatt was convicted last week. Brady imposed a consecutive five-year term for his conviction for possessing a firearm in the commission of a felony. In addition to setting concurrent sentences for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm, Brady additionally ordered Hyatt to serve two years of probation upon his release for unlawful possession of ammunition. more »
A stabbing suspect on the lam for almost two decades was finally apprehended this week when Chelsea Police spotted him drinking in public just a block away from the scene of the crime, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
WILMER ROMERO (D.O.B. 7/8/73) was arraigned in Chelsea District Court yesterday, 17 years to the day after he allegedly attacked a rival with a knife inside a Chestnut Street building. more »
A Dorchester man was sent for a psychological evaluation today following his arraignment on charges that he stabbed his elderly downstairs neighbor to death early this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
TU NGUYEN (D.O.B. 4/30/83) was arraigned on a single count of murder for the stabbing death of 72-year-old Mary Miller inside her Codman Hill Avenue home. Dorchester District Court Judge James Coffey additionally ordered Nguyen to Bridgewater State Hospital for a 20-day observation period. more »
Former Boston Celtics and Denver Nuggets player Chris Herren will join Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and area teens Thursday at the DA’s yearly Basketball for Peace tournament.
Herren, a Fall River native and high school basketball standout, struggled with addiction to painkillers and other narcotics after breaking his wrist during his first collegiate game for Boston College. Now sober and committed to helping others suffering with substance abuse, Herren will offer words of inspiration and encouragement to the young people assembled for Conley’s fourth annual tournament. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley has tapped six Boston leaders to act as honorary team captains for this year’s Basketball for Peace tournament next week, calling them “true role models” for the city’s young people.
Now in their fourth year, the Feb. 23 games – to be held at the Kroc Center in Dorchester – bring city teens together with prosecutors, victim advocates, civilian investigators, and others from Conley’s office. Also on hand are local police, non-profit groups, and social service providers. Leading the teams are: more »
A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a Dorchester man of 11 criminal counts for shooting four people outside a Blue Hill Avenue tavern two and a half years ago, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
CHARKEEM HYATT (D.O.B. 12/10/89) was convicted of three counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm as a second offense, unlawful possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, and unlawful possession of ammunition. Jurors deliberated for about a day and a half. more »
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week awarded $10,000 in seized drug money to two Boston non-profit organizations as part of his annual Asset Forfeiture Reinvestment Program, funding groups that prevent young people from becoming involved in drugs, gangs and violence. more »
A hapless bank robbery suspect made it less than a block from the scene of the crime yesterday after allegedly choosing a target just yards from a Boston Police district station, a Federal office building, and Suffolk Superior Court, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
CHRISTOPHER J. WASHBURN (D.O.B. 12/18/77), who gave a Quincy address at booking but told officers he was homeless, was arraigned today in Boston Municipal Court on charges of unarmed robbery, assault and battery on a public employee, and resisting arrest. Judge Michael Coyne imposed the $100,000 cash bail recommended by Assistant District Attorney Larry Bates. more »
The state-of-the-art Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Dorchester will host Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s annual Basketball for Peace tournament next week, welcoming kids and teens from across the area for a day of healthy fun with the law enforcement officials who protect them.
Conley’s annual Basketball for Peace tournament will be held at the Kroc Center on Feb. 23. Now in their fourth year, the games bring urban youth together with prosecutors, victim advocates, civilian investigators, and others from the DA’s office. Also on hand are local police, non-profit groups, and social service providers. more »
A Dorchester man received a 10-year prison sentence today after a Suffolk Superior Court jury found him guilty of assault charges for a shooting incident that claimed the life of 18-year-old Guiliardo Rodrigues.
Judge Regina Quinlan imposed upon MANUEL DASILVA (D.O.B. 10/28/87) the sentences recommended by Assistant District Attorney Mark Hallal on two convictions for assault by means of a dangerous weapon: two terms of four to five years in state prison, with those terms to run back to back. The offense carries a maximum five-year prison term. more »
A Needham man whose former employers found disturbing images on his one-time work computer was arraigned today on multiple child pornography charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel f. Conley said.
KEITH L. MILLAN (D.O.B. 2/14/57) was arraigned in West Roxbury District Court on five counts of possessing child pornography. Assistant District Attorney Joseph Pagliarulo recommended that he be held on $100,000 cash bail and recommended an order barring him from using a computer and having any contact with children under 16. Judge Mary Ann Driscoll set bail at $25,000 and imposed both orders, with the exception that the Department of Children and Families will decide whether he may see his own children. more »
State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Revere Police are investigating a collision in Revere Sunday night that left two people injured, and they are asking witnesses to the incident to come forward.
The two-vehicle crash occurred at about 11:55 p.m. The preliminary investigation suggests that a white Chevrolet van travelling westbound and a gray Toyota Camry travelling northbound collided in the intersection of American Legion Highway and Revere Street. more »
A Dorchester man today admitted to his role in the shooting death of Charles Cantave, a 36-year-old Brockton mechanic with whom the defendant had argued over a used engine Cantave installed several months earlier, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
MARIO BURNS (D.O.B. 10/5/72) pleaded guilty to the crime of manslaughter just one day after his murder trial began in Suffolk Superior Court. Judge Christine McEvoy sentenced him to a term of 15 years in state prison, the sentence jointly recommended by prosecutors and defense counsel after Burns offered to admit his guilt and forego any appellate claims. more »
A 19-year-old Andover resident was charged this morning with using a pistol to beat two other teens over a dispute at a Super Bowl party held at the Ritz-Carlton last night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KEVIN S. MACARTNEY (D.O.B. 11/6/92) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court on two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for the incident, which left two Peabody youths with head injuries. Macartney was also charged with unlawful possession of Class B and Class E substances for pills recovered from his clothing when he was booked. more »
Rosanna Camilo’s former neighbor, now charged with her rape and murder, left his DNA at the crime scene and beneath her fingernails when he sexually assaulted and strangled her to death in November, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.
ELDRICK D. BROOM (D.O.B. 4/7/84) was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated rape. Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren of Conley’s Homicide Unit recommended that Broom remain held without bail, as he had been since his district court arraignment last year; Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson granted that request. more »
A Roslindale man was arraigned today on charges that he fraudulently obtained more than $20,000 in public funds meant for the needy, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
THOMAS CATER (D.O.B. 9/5/65) was arraigned this morning in the Boston Municipal Court on one count of larceny over $250 by continuous scheme and five counts of public assistance fraud. Judge Thomas set bail at $5,000. more »
A motorist accused of fleeing a State Police car stop in Revere only to be caught near his Peabody home was held on high bail at his arraignment yesterday and is due in another courthouse to answer on multiple unrelated warrants today, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
LEROY FREDERICK, Jr. (D.O.B. 4/16/72) was charged yesterday with failing to stop for police, operating with a suspended driver’s license as a habitual traffic offender, carrying a dangerous weapon, and resisting arrest. Assistant District Attorney Peter Pasciucco recommended that he be held on $10,000 cash bail and that his bail on multiple open Dorchester cases be revoked; Chelsea District Court Judge James Wexler granted both requests. more »
A Roxbury man will spend up to 20 years in state prison after his convictions on four out of five indicted housebreaks over a two-year period, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury yesterday convicted DARYL TAVARES (D.O.B. 10/24/62) of four counts each of breaking and entering, larceny over $250, and wanton destruction of property over $250 for breaking into homes in Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan between 2008 and 2010. Jurors acquitted Tavares of charges related to a fifth incident in Dorchester. more »
The state’s highest court today affirmed a former Cambridge resident’s two first-degree murder convictions for the 2006 slayings of Julio Ceus and Natalie Sumner during a robbery in Allston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The decision means CRAIG SMITH (D.O.B. 2/10/69) will continue to serve the back-to-back life terms imposed following his 2007 trial, Conley said. Smith is serving additional concurrent terms ranging from five to 30 years for trying to murder one of Ceus’ roommates, pointing a gun at another, and robbing the victims of their cash and cellular phones. more »