Press Releases from 2012
May 31, 2012

BOSTON, May 31, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks at Charlestown’s Paul Revere Park on the death last week of 45-year-old Normand Varieur:

DA Conley and State Police are looking for help in the investigation into Normand Varieur's death

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley is joined by Massachusetts State Police troopers and detectives at Charlestown’s Paul Revere Park to discuss the death of Normand Varieur, a 45-year-old homeless man found unresponsive with a head injury on May 21. Varieur died at Massachusetts General Hospital without regaining consciousness, and authorities consider his death suspicious.

“At about 2:20 pm on Monday, May 21, State Police assigned to Troop H discovered an unconscious adult male here at the fishing pier near Paul Revere Park.  The man was unresponsive when troopers found him, and he was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital with a serious head injury. Based on medical, forensic, and other evidence developed thus far, we believe he sustained that injury on Sunday, May 20, during the afternoon or evening.  more »


May 29, 2012

BOSTON, May 29, 2012—State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are investigating a Boston man’s death in the area of Pleasure Bay in South Boston today.

A passerby notified State Police just before 7:00 this morning that he had seen a body in the water in the area of the Sugar Bowl near Castle Island. Uniformed troopers from the South Boston Barracks, Troop H detectives, and the State Police Marine Section responded to the area a short time later, as did members of the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit. more »


May 29, 2012

BOSTON, May 29, 2012—A Revere man was convicted last week of repeatedly assaulting a teenage girl more than a decade ago, finally being sent to prison after fleeing the charges for more than a decade, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Friday found WENCESLAO PANAMENO, Jr. (D.O.B. 2/14/66), a.k.a. ROBERTO GONZALEZ RODRIGUEZ, guilty of two counts of rape of a child under 16, one count of indecent assault and battery on a person under 14, and two counts of indecent assault and battery on a person over 14, all stemming from his 1997 assaults on the victim, who was 13 and 14 years old at the time. more »


May 24, 2012

BOSTON, May 24, 2012—A Dorchester man was ordered held today after being charged in connection with a non-fatal shooting in Roxbury and subsequent motor vehicle pursuit into Milton, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PAUL NOVA (D.O.B. 4/25/92) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court on charges of possession with intent to distribute a Class A substance, possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance, violating the state’s drug laws in a school zone, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, and failing to stop for police. more »


May 24, 2012

BOSTON, May 24, 2012—State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are seeking the assistance of dog walkers and fishermen as they investigate an apparent assault this week on a man in Charlestown.

State troopers assigned to the Boston Barracks discovered the 45-year-old male victim, who is believed to be homeless, on the fishing pier at Paul Revere Park on Monday afternoon. He had suffered a head injury and was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital. The investigation thus far suggests he had been assaulted the night before. State Police are investigating because the park is State property. more »


May 23, 2012

BOSTON, May 23, 2012—The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging a Dorchester man with first-degree murder for the shooting death of 23-year-old Anthony Depina in Roxbury earlier this year, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The indictments also charge JASON BARBOSA (D.O.B. 1/8/89) with unlawful possession of a firearm as an armed career criminal in light of prior convictions for assault with a dangerous weapon. more »


May 23, 2012

BOSTON, May 23, 2012—A former Dorchester resident pleaded guilty today in the shooting death last year of 19-year-old Derek Matulina at an MBTA Red Line station, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

NHU NGUYEN (D.O.B. 5/5/92) pleaded guilty to manslaughter and firearms charges for Matulina’s slaying at Savin Hill station after Matulina initiated a physical confrontation with him on the afternoon of May 7, 2011. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke sentenced him to two and a half years in a house of correction to be followed by two years of probation, the sentence jointly recommended by prosecutors and Nguyen’s attorney. more »


May 22, 2012

 BOSTON, May 22, 2012—An employee of a Chelsea strip club has been charged in the stabbing of a patron earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JODY LASSITER (D.O.B. 1/24/63) of Everett was arraigned yesterday in Chelsea District Court on a single count of armed assault with intent to murder. Assistant District Attorney Christopher Henry recommended that he be held on $150,000 cash bail. Judge D. Dunbar Livingston imposed $50,000. more »


May 22, 2012

BOSTON, May 21, 2012—The use of DNA technology has identified a suspect in an eight-year-old unsolved sexual assault on the MBTA, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

TIMOTHY L. DAY (D.O.B. 2/20/60) of Bethesda, Maryland, was arraigned this afternoon in Suffolk Superior Court on a single count of indecent assault and battery for the 2004 incident. Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson set Day’s bail at $1500, the amount recommended by Assistant District Attorney Tara Burdman of Conley’s Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Unit. more »


May 18, 2012

BOSTON, May 18, 2012—A Dorchester teenager was held without bail on a murder charge stemming from the April 27 shooting death of 25-year-old Mariano Malave in Jamaica Plain, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

CHARLES REDDICKS (D.O.B. 4/20/94) was arraigned this afternoon in West Roxbury District Court following his arrest this morning by Boston Police homicide detectives amid the ongoing investigation into Malave’s homicide inside his Hyde Park Avenue residence. more »


May 16, 2012

 BOSTON, May 16, 2012—A Wilmington man who failed to change lanes or reduce his speed when passing a stationary State Police cruiser was arraigned on drug trafficking charges this week after troopers recovered more than 100 prescription painkillers and more than $1000 cash during the car stop that followed, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSHUA GIROUX (D.O.B. 5/14/89) was arraigned Monday in Charlestown District Court on charges of trafficking in oxycodone, possession of a Class B substance, possession of a Class E substance, and various civil infractions for the Saturday incident near the Route 99 Rotary in Charlestown. Assistant District Attorney Peter Pasciucco recommended that Giroux be held on $10,000; Judge Lawrence McCormick imposed bail of $2500. more »


May 14, 2012

BOSTON, May 14, 2012—A Swampscott man was arraigned today for allegedly beating a former business partner badly and biting part of his nose off after a meeting inside a Revere restaurant earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

KENNETH MICHAUD (D.O.B. 10/8/71) was charged today with mayhem, assault and battery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault with intent to kill for the May 2 incident outside a Revere Beach Boulevard restaurant. more »


May 14, 2012

BOSTON, May 14, 2012—A Dorchester man admitted last week to neglecting his 4-year-old dog, leaving the animal emaciated with hunger and badly injured, accepting a minimum of six months in jail rather than face trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DANA M. THOMSON (D.O.B. 8/12/77) pleaded guilty in Dorchester District Court last week to two counts of cruelty to animals, just as his trial on those charges was scheduled to begin. Thomson was charged with failing to provide food or medical care to Braun, a Staffordshire terrier that was later put to sleep. more »


May 14, 2012

BOSTON, May 14, 2012—A man who allegedly used his Dorchester residence as a base for a prostitution enterprise is due back in court today after his arrest in March, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LEROY LOCKETT (D.O.B. 11/4/52) was arraigned March 21 in Dorchester District Court on a charge of deriving support from prostitution, a felony punishable by up to five years in state prison. Conley’s office at that time recommended that he be held on $20,000 cash bail; Judge Kenneth V. Desmond set bail at $2,500. more »


May 10, 2012

BOSTON, May 10, 2012—A former teacher’s assistant was taken into custody today after Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office successfully argued to triple his bail in light of indictments charging sexual misconduct with children.

At the request of Assistant District Attorney Leora Joseph, chief of Conley’s Child Protection Unit, Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson increased LaSHAWN HILL’s bail from $10,000 cash to $30,000. Court officers took Hill into custody at his arraignment this morning. more »


May 9, 2012

Prosecutors Sought State Prison Term

BOSTON, May 9, 2012—A Mission Hill woman will serve at least a year behind bars for stabbing her former neighbor during a dispute sparked by a prior conflict over a parking space the victim had shoveled out, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

Assistant District Attorney Lauren Greene of Conley’s Major Felony Bureau recommended that CARMEN ANDINO (D.O.B. 10/30/71) serve two to three years in state prison for the 2010 incident, which sent a 24-year-old woman to the hospital with serious injuries to her face and the area under her left arm after she and the victim fought one another in the middle of McGreevey Way. more »


May 9, 2012

BOSTON, May 9, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley joined first graders at Boston’s Marshall Elementary School today, reading for the kids, bringing books for every student, and urging public officials to do the same.

Reading day at the Marshall Elementary School

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley (back right), with (from left) Assistant District Attorney Joseph Roseme and Assistant District Attorney Adam Foss, during a weekly trip by prosecutors to the Marshall Elementary School, where they read to Ms. Beazer’s first grade class. The visits build bonds between youth and the office while stressing the fun and importance of reading.

“Adults in public life have a lot of opportunities to interact with kids,” Conley said. “I want them to make the most of those opportunities, not for themselves but for the youngsters.  If you’re an elected official, a celebrity, or anyone in a position of respect, bring books and show these children the importance of reading.”

Members of Conley’s staff have joined the first graders of Karline Beazer’s class every Wednesday since November of last year, reading to them and with them to demonstrate the importance of literacy. He joined those staff members for today’s trip, bringing two dozen books from Mary Pope Osborne’s Magic Tree House series for the students to bring home. more »


May 7, 2012

BOSTON, May 7, 2012—A Revere man was ordered held without bail today after being formally charged with the homicide of 50-year-old John Barrientos in East Boston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

CRISTIAN SANTA (D.O.B. 10/10/91) was arraigned this morning in East Boston District Court on a single count of murder for Barrientos’ slaying in the early morning hours of May 4. Investigators believe Barrientos was killed in the basement of his Chelsea Street apartment building sometime around 5:00 a.m., then dragged outside to an alleyway, where his remains were found about an hour later, Conley said. more »


May 4, 2012

BOSTON, May 4, 2012—A Roxbury man was held without bail today after being formally charged with the beating death of his roommate, 50-year-old Roosevelt Harris, in February, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CRISTIAN RODRIGUEZ (D.O.B. 7/19/76) was arraigned today on a murder charge stemming from Harris’ Feb. 9, 2012, homicide inside the Tremont Street apartment they shared. Boston Police and Suffolk prosecutors identified Rodriguez as a suspect early in the investigation and obtained a warrant for his arrest on March 7; they soon learned that Rodriguez had been arrested in Bedford shortly after the homicide and was in already custody. more »


May 4, 2012

BOSTON, May 4, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced a three-count indictment charging a former teacher’s assistant with improper sexual activity with two children at two Dorchester schools last year.

The indictments charge LaSHAWN HILL (D.O.B. 3/10/78) of Dorchester with indecent assault and battery on a child for an incident with a 7-year-old boy at the Martin Luther King, Jr., School in March 2011. They also charge Hill with lewd and lascivious behavior and lascivious acts with a child under 16 for another incident involving a 14-year-old boy, who is autistic and non-verbal, at the Harbor Pilot Middle School on Dec. 12, 2011. more »


May 2, 2012

BOSTON, May 2, 2012—A man was held on a quarter-million dollars’ cash bail and his alleged associate on $75,000 after they were arraigned on cocaine trafficking charges that stem from the interception of three kilograms of cocaine shipped from California, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ROBERT CONLEY (D.O.B. 11/26/65) and MYISHA WILKERSON (D.O.B. 7/6/82), both of Dorchester, arraigned in Dorchester District Court on charges of trafficking in more than 200 grams of cocaine and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws. Robert Conley was additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition for an unregistered handgun recovered from his residence during the execution of a search warrant last night. more »


May 2, 2012

BOSTON, May 2, 2012—A Brookline man’s bail for crashing his car last month after a police chase was revoked today after he crashed another car at an Allston auto dealership, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ENDER DURGUT (D.O.B. 7/20/72) was arraigned in Brighton District Court today on charges of larceny of a motor vehicle, malicious destruction of property, assault with a dangerous weapon, and disorderly conduct for his actions at Herb Chambers Toyota this morning. more »


May 1, 2012

BOSTON, May 1, 2012—A Roslindale man was arraigned yesterday on charges that he had more than 10 kilograms of cocaine stashed in a hidden compartment in the car he’d been driving erratically, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ELVYN RAFAEL GARCIA (D.O.B. 10/3/80) was arraigned yesterday in Roxbury District Court on charges of trafficking in more than 200 grams of cocaine, violating the state’s drug laws in a school zone, and various civil motor vehicle infractions. Assistant District Attorney Joseph Roseme recommended that he be held on $1 million cash bail; Judge David Weingarten set bail at $30,000 and ordered that Garcia surrender his US passport if he has one. more »