Press Releases from 2012
Jun 29, 2012

BOSTON, June 29, 2012—Two alleged associates of the man charged with murdering US Army veteran Stephen Perez were arrested this morning and held on bail at their subsequent
arraignments, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis said today.

Boston Police arrested LUIS SEPELVEDA (D.O.B. 8/15/84) and JANICE HARDY (D.O.B. 12/12/90) at their Lynn home this morning on warrants charging them with perjury and
misleading a police investigator under Ch. 268, Sect. 13B, of the Massachusetts General Laws. more »


Jun 28, 2012

BOSTON, June 28, 2012—The Suffolk County Grand Jury has returned indictments charging a Salem man with the April murder of US Army veteran Stephen Perez earlier this year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

The indictments, returned yesterday, charge PETER CASTILLO (D.O.B. 8/6/88) with first-degree murder for allegedly shooting Perez to death in a Tremont Street parking garage and unlawful possession of a firearm for the handgun he allegedly used to take Perez’ life. more »


Jun 27, 2012

Four Students’ Cases Still Pending

BOSTON, June 27, 2012—One defendant was arraigned today on charges stemming from an alleged hazing incident at an Allston residence earlier this year, two more accepted responsibility for similar offenses, and the cases against four more remain pending, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JESSE KAY (D.O.B. 2/2/92) of Allston was arraigned today one count each of hazing and failure to report hazing and five counts of assault and battery – one for each of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity pledges he allegedly abused in an Ashford Street basement on the night of April 8. Kay was released on his own recognizance and will return to court on Aug. 20 with attorney David Losier. more »


Jun 26, 2012

Nonprofits Invited to Seek Money Seized from Drug Dealers 

BOSTON, June 26, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today invited area non-profit organizations that work with kids and teens to apply for his annual series of free cash awards to provide the young people of Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop with constructive alternatives to crime and drug use.

The annual grants, which this year total an estimated $50,000, are disbursed from Conley’s Asset Forfeiture Community Reinvestment Program, which takes cash and assets seized from drug dealers and awards them to Suffolk County organizations that work to help young people. more »


Jun 26, 2012

BOSTON, June 26, 2012—A Quincy man has been criminally charged for allegedly using the bushes of a Boston playground to stash his loaded handgun – which is now missing, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOHN T. MURRETT (D.O.B. 6/6/86) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court this morning on one count of improper storage of a firearm. Prosecutors recommended bail of $500 and Judge Annette Forde released him on his own recognizance. more »


Jun 22, 2012

BOSTON, June 22, 2012—Nicholas Fomby-Davis, snatched off a scooter and murdered at the age of 14, was a “respectful, helpful, smart, and positive young man,” his aunt recalled today as the two gang members who killed him were sentenced to life in prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Both convicted of first-degree murder yesterday, JOSHUA FERNANDES (D.O.B. 8/8/93) and CRISOSTOMO LOPES (D.O.B. 2/27/90) faced the mandatory term for that offense this morning. Under Massachusetts law, neither will ever be eligible for parole. Fernandes, who was also convicted of unlawfully possessing the firearm that killed Fomby-Davis, was sentenced to a concurrent four- to five-year prison term. more »


Jun 21, 2012

BOSTON, June 21, 2012—A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted two Dorchester gang members of all charges in the 2010 shooting death of 14-year-old Nicholas Fomby-Davis, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors deliberated for about four hours before convicting JOSHUA FERNANDES (D.O.B. 8/8/93) and CRISOSTOMO LOPES (D.O.B. 2/27/90) of first-degree murder for Fomby-Davis’ May 30, 2010, shooting death. Fernandes was additionally convicted of unlawful possession of a firearm. more »


Jun 20, 2012

BOSTON, June 20, 2012—A Charlestown man who failed in his alleged bid to rob a bank was held on high bail today after another Charlestown man tackled him in the parking lot, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ROBERT KROL, Jr. (D.O.B. 3/6/80) was arraigned in Charlestown District Court this morning on a single count of unarmed robbery for the incident yesterday morning at the  Cooperative Bank on Main Street. Assistant District Attorney Peter Pasciucco recommended that he be held on $75,000 cash bail and Judge Lawrence McCormick imposed $50,000. more »


Jun 18, 2012

BOSTON, June 18, 2012—A former Roxbury man now serving a federal prison sentence was ordered held without bail today at his arraignment for the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Rebecca Payne, a Northeastern University student believed to have been mistaken for someone else, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

June 18, 2012

Nicholas and Virginia Payne speak with reporters after their daughter’s alleged killer was ordered held without bail at his arraignment today in Suffolk Superior Court. Rebecca Payne, a 22-year-old student at Boston’s Northeastern University, was shot dead in her Mission Hill apartment in the early morning hours of May 20, 2008; four years later, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced indictments charging a convicted drug dealer with murdering her in a case of mistaken identity and a customer of that man with lying to the Suffolk County Grand Jury during the course of the investigation.

After four years of investigation, CORNELL SMITH (D.O.B. 12/19/81) was indicted April 27 for first-degree murder, armed assault in a dwelling, and unlawful possession of a firearm, all in connection with the May 20, 2008, slaying. He was formally charged with those offenses this morning in Suffolk Superior Court, where Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson granted prosecutors’ requests and ordered him held without bail. more »


Jun 18, 2012

BOSTON, June 17, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office has filed paperwork seeking a new sentence for a violent serial rapist after the Massachusetts Appeals Court reversed the man’s earlier convictions on an unrelated home invasion, potentially putting him on the street decades earlier than the sentencing judge anticipated.

Conley’s office on Friday moved for a hearing at which prosecutors would once again seek their original recommended sentence of life plus 40 years for MICHAEL JOHNSON (D.O.B. 4/9/69) on two counts of aggravated rape and one count of attempted rape for which he was convicted in 2010. Those convictions stem from anApril 10, 1990, assault on a 23-year-old woman in her Wellington Street home; aMay 7, 1990, assault on a 24-year-old woman in her West Concord Street home; and an assault on that woman’s 30-year-old roommate on the same date. In those cases, Johnson broke into the victims’ residences, cut their telephone lines, attacked and forced himself on them, and fled with money or valuables. more »


Jun 14, 2012

BOSTON, June 14, 2012—The Brighton man who led State Police on a multi-city chase yesterday evening was wanted for his role in the illegal sale of an unregistered handgun in Revere, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

LEROY MARTIN (D.O.B. 9/27/77) was arraigned in Chelsea District Court today on a total of 10 offenses including unlawful possession of a firearm, improper sale of a firearm, unlicensed sale of ammunition, and being a Level III armed career criminal. The latter charge is based on Martin’s prior convictions, including a 2008 gun and assault conviction for which he served four years in prison and is currently on probation. more »


Jun 12, 2012

BOSTON, June 12, 2012—A long-term investigation into violent Charlestown drug dealers has led to 86 indictments against five main targets and 20 additional suspects arrested today by Boston Police, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced. more »


Jun 12, 2012
Superintendent's Unit Commendation

Massachusetts State Police Superintendent Marian McGovern is flanked by Detective Lieutenant Jack Lannon (left), the current commander of the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit, and Major William Christiansen, the team’s leader at the time of Revere Police Officer Daniel Talbot’s 2009 murder. McGovern presented Lannon, Christiansen, and a dozen other past and present members of Suffolk SPDU with the Superintendent’s Unit Commendation for their work investigating the crime, which led to convictions for all charged defendants – including the shooter, who is now serving a life term.

BOSTON, June 12, 2012—Members of the State Police detective unit assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office were honored by Colonel Marian McGovern today for their work investigating the homicide of an off-duty Revere Police officer five years ago.

Past and present members of the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit received the Superintendent’s Unit Commendation at the 2012 Spring Superintendent’s Award Ceremony at State Police headquarters tomorrow morning. The award reflects Suffolk SPDU’s investigation of the Sept. 29, 2007, shooting death of Officer Daniel Talbot as he socialized with friends and colleagues. more »


Jun 8, 2012

BOSTON, June 8, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office leads the Commonwealth in funding to protect victims, witnesses, and their families, a recent report shows.

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts Witness Protection Program: An Overview of Cases During Fiscal Years 2010 and 2011, prepared by the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, breaks down witness protection funding allocated to the state’s 11 district attorneys’ offices and the state attorney general’s office. more »


Jun 8, 2012

BOSTON, June 8, 2012—A Dorchester man will serve five years behind bars for slashing a romantic partner with a box cutter last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Dorchester District Court jury yesterday convicted TILFOR HAMILTON (D.O.B. 12/31/78) of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and other offenses for the Nov. 18, 2011, incident at his Quincy Street home. District Court Judge Robert Baylor imposed the sentence recommended by Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Sherwood – two consecutive terms of two and a half years. more »


Jun 7, 2012

 BOSTON, June 7, 2012—A homeless man stabbed with a Swiss Army knife near Boston’s Financial District yesterday evening is expected to survive his injuries and another man known to him was held on high bail at his arraignment this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Boston Municipal Court Judge Mark Hart Summerville ordered JOHN BARBOZA (D.O.B. 12/15/56), who has no fixed address, held on $30,000 bail on charges of armed assault with intent to murder and related offenses for the 5:39 p.m. incident that sent the 39-year-old victim to the hospital. more »


Jun 6, 2012

 BOSTON, June 6, 2012—After the overwhelming positive response to his last trip delivering books to youngsters at a Dorchester school, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel is returning this week with reading material for hundreds more students.

Conley and members of his staff will deliver 250 children’s books to Principal Teresa Harvey-Jackson and the kids of the John Marshall Elementary School’s first through fifth grades. They will be joined by Carlos Valente of Thrift Recycling, which works with a non-profit organization that provides hundreds of thousands of books each year to schools, libraries, and youth groups at no cost. more »


Jun 4, 2012

BOSTON, June 4, 2012—A Dorchester man will serve up to 10 years in state prison for shooting a rival after a paternity test showed that the victim was the father of mutual friend’s baby, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Suffolk Superior Court Judge Regina Quinlan last week sentenced KAMAL OLIVER (D.O.B. 8/19/63) to a term of eight to 10 years in state prison following Oliver’s guilty plea to the crimes of armed assault with intent to murder, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm. Quinlan additionally ordered him to serve three years of probation upon his release. Assistant District Attorney Patrick Devlin of Conley’s Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Unit had recommended no less than 10 years in prison. more »