BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2012—State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Chelsea Police detectives are investigating a double shooting overnight that left one man dead.
Investigators have identified the deceased as a 34-year-old Chelsea man. His name is being withheld until his family can be located and notified. Also shot was a second Chelsea resident, a 37-year-old man. He is not being identified because he is the surviving victim of a violent crime. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2012—A serial rapist today admitted to assaulting and strangling 87-year-old Zahia Salem to death in her South End home more than 20 years ago, accepting the near-certainty that he will die in prison for his crime, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
CHARLES H. BROOK, Jr. (D.O.B. 10/3/44) pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the Nov. 31, 1989, incident that took Salem’s life. Judge Thomas Connors sentenced Brook – who has cancer – to the mandatory term for that offense, life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2012—A Suffolk Superior Court clerk magistrate ordered two brothers held on high bail at their arraignment for the stabbing death of 15-year-old Lance Hartgrove and the non-fatal stabbing of another youth in Roxbury, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren requested RULA JONES (D.O.B. 6/18/94) and ILM JONES (D.O.B. 9/20/92) each be held on $500,000 bail, wear GPS monitoring bracelets, and stay away from parties who were present during the July 10 altercation that ended with Hartgrove dead and a 17-year-old youth injured. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 24, 2012—A Suffolk Superior Court judge today stayed a convicted career criminal’s 10-year sentence for gun, ammunition, and drug trafficking convictions and admitted him to high bail in light of a crisis at a former Department of Public Health drug testing laboratory.
Over the objections of Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office, Judge Christine Roach stayed further execution of the sentences imposed earlier this year on DAVID HUFFMAN (D.O.B. 2/27/57). Roach set his bail at $75,000 and ordered him to wear a GPS monitoring device if he posts that amount. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 24, 2012—The Suffolk County Grand Jury last week returned indictments against five people accused of beating a mentally disabled man at an MBTA station last month, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments charge KAREN MARIE AKIBA (D.O.B. 5/30/90) of Somerville, IVAN P. BACAI (D.O.B. 4/25/89) of Malden, MARYANNE HAMILTON (D.O.B. 10/24/83) of Jamaica Plain, GERMAIL JOHNSON (D.O.B. 1/19/84) of Dorchester, and BYRON H. LASHUS (D.O.B. 7/31/80) of Watertown with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon – shod foot – and assault and battery on a disabled person causing bodily injury. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 24, 2012—An Everett man accused of leaving poisoned food on a Charlestown lawn for neighborhood dogs had his bail in two separate cases revoked at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KENNETH HYLAND (D.O.B. 3/7/59) of Everett was arraigned in Charlestown District Court on a charge of poisoning animals. Assistant District Attorney Peter Pasciucco requested Hyland’s bail be set at $5,000 and that his open bail in unrelated Lynn and Woburn cases be revoked. Pasciucco also requested that Hyland be required to stay away from Charlestown and any witnesses in the case and have no unsupervised contact with animals. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 21, 2012—State Police assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and Revere Police detectives are investigating the shooting death of a man in Revere last night.
Revere police and firefighters responded to 52 Rose St. at about 9:20 p.m. after a smoke alarm activation. On arrival, they found an adult male unresponsive inside the residence. The deceased, a man in his 50s, has been identified but authorities are not releasing his name until his family can be located and identified. Emergency medical technicians pronounced him dead at the scene. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 20, 2012—A woman who allegedly cut off a GPS bracelet and fled her Revere stabbing case more than a decade ago was apprehended Tuesday and brought back to court to answer on the charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROSA COLON (D.O.B. 9/2/76) appeared yesterday in Chelsea District Court after her arrest on default warrants for armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery on a public employee, failure to stop for police, and resisting arrest. She was also wanted on straight warrants for assault and battery on a public employee and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon – a car – that stemmed from the same July 4, 2001, incident. more »
Says Defense Relied on “Gossamer Inferences and Speculation” in Motion
BOSTON, Sept. 17, 2012—A man convicted twice of murdering two men in Boston’s North End more than a quarter century ago will not get a third trial, the state’s chief justice for administration and management decided today.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, who opposed the motion for a new trial by FRANK DiBENEDETTO and a co-defendant in the 1986 murders of Frank Chiuchiolo and Joseph Bottari, praised Judge Robert Mulligan’s 27-page order. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 17, 2011 – A Dorchester man was drinking at the bar he co-owns before colliding with and killing a 63-year-old bicyclist early Friday morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.
MICHAEL AHERN (D.O.B. 12/23/65) of Dorchester was arraigned in Dorchester District Court this morning on charges of motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence of alcohol, operating to endanger, and speeding. Assistant District Attorney Patrick Devlin requested $50,000 bail and that Ahern not drive while his case is pending. Judge James W. Coffey set bail at $25,000 and imposed the driving restriction. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 14, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office this week asked that one drug defendant be released without monetary bail but urged a judge to keep another held on high bail as Boston’s prosecutors assess the effects of an investigation at a state drug laboratory on thousands of their cases.
At a previously scheduled pre-trial appearance for EDWARD DANCY (D.O.B. 9/15/70), Assistant District Attorney Macy Lee, chief of the DA’s Narcotics Unit, on Wednesday recommended that Suffolk Superior Court Judge Christine Roach reduce Dancy’s bail from $30,000 to personal recognizance. After providing the judge with a copy of Dancy’s prior record, Lee also asked for a 60-day continuance so prosecutors could re-examine the state of the evidence as State Police investigate the actions of the former Department of Public Health chemist who had certified that a substance Dancy allegedly sold to an undercover Boston Police officer in Chinatown in 2010 was cocaine. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 13, 2012—A New York man wanted in four states was ordered held without bail after his arrest this week with six different identification cards and a stun gun on board an Amtrak train, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARK MOSKOWITZ (D.O.B. 8/27/86) of Brooklyn, New York, was arraigned yesterday in Boston Municipal Court on five counts of identity fraud and one count each of possession of an electric stun gun, fare evasion, trespassing, and providing a false name to police. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Justyna Miller, Judge Franco Gobourne ordered Moskowitz held without bail. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 13, 2012— An Irishman who had just begun his vacation in Boston was arraigned today on a charge of armed robbery for allegedly stealing a cannoli from a beloved North End bakery, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROBERT MCTERNAN (D.O.B. 7/8/87) of Newbridge, Ireland, was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court today on a single count of armed robbery. Assistant District Attorney Larry Bates requested $10,000 bail. Judge Mark Hart Summerville set bail at $2,000 and ordered McTernan to surrender his passport and stay away from Bova’s Bakery, where the alleged robbery occurred. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 12, 2012–Suffolk County District Attorney today delivered the following remarks at 281 Lee Burbank Highway in Revere, where the remains of 27-year-old Susan Taraskiewicz were found 20 years earlier:
“Good morning. As you know, we’re here today to discuss the 1992 homicide of Susan Taraskiewicz, and before we begin, I’d like to introduce Susan’s mother, Marlene, who has lived with the pain of Susan’s murder for 20 years. Her persistence and commitment to seeing justice done in this case has been an inspiration to everyone in my office. She has never, ever given up hope that it will be solved and that her daughter’s killer or killers will one day be held accountable. more »
A Lynn man was held without bail on charges that he shot and killed a 33-year-old Roxbury man outside the victim’s home in May, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
George Ortega (D.O.B. 2/19/83) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court on charges of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. more »