BOSTON, Jan. 25, 2013—A man who participated in the robbery and home invasion that preceded the murders of four people but did not play a part in the killings themselves was sentenced to a term of almost 20 years in prison today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KIMANI WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 10/17/75) pleaded guilty to a six-count indictment charging him with home invasion, armed robbery, armed carjacking, unlawful possession of a firearm, trafficking in a Class B substance, and possession of a Class D substance. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Christine McEvoy sentenced Washington to a term of 16 to 18 years in state prison. more »
Boston, Jan. 25, 2013—A self-proclaimed member of the MS-13 street gang was convicted today of second-degree murder today in the unprovoked shooting death of 38-year-old Braulio Gomez in the summer of 2011, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors deliberated for just over two days before finding SANTOS PORTILLO (D.O.B. 7/4/90) of Chelsea guilty of murder in the second degree and illegal firearm possession. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 24, 2013—Three women accused of robbing a Revere convenience store at knife point were arraigned last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KERRY JENKINS (11/19/76), a homeless woman from Revere, was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on Jan. 17 on a charge of armed robbery, and HEATHER HARPER (D.O.B. 11/3/89) of Dedham and NICOLE THAIN (D.O.B. 2/22/83) of Boston were arraigned on the same charge the next day. more »
Evidence Suggests Accident; Victim Still in Critical
BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2012—A city street worker was held on $50,000 cash bail yesterday after his girlfriend suffered a gunshot wound to her head from an unregistered firearm that had an extended magazine and an obliterated serial number, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 18, 2013—Four students at East Boston’s Excel Charter School had lunch with Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and toured Boston’s central courthouse yesterday in recognition of their winning essays on the topic of being safe and kind online.
Fifth-graders Alex, Bella, Ry, and Tony were among more than 20 students to write essays on the lessons they learned as part of an internet safety and anti-bullying program led by Conley and directed by Director of Youth Safety and Outreach Jacquelyn Lamont.
“Selecting four top essays was a tough decision, but these four really crystallized what it means for kids to be safe and kind online,” Conley said. “This is an important message for young people in the 21st century. They, their classmates, and their parents should be proud of this accomplishment.”
Joined by Dean of Fifth and Sixth Grade Students Ben Ure, the youngsters dined on pizza with Conley and Lamont at the DA’s downtown offices, then toured the Boston Municipal Court, where they met Judge Sally Kelly. Kelly allowed them the rare privilege of taking the bench, and Court Officer Roberta Alexopoulos demonstrated security techniques used to keep the building safe for everyone inside.
“We hear stories of cyberbullying, online enticement, and other disturbing events involving kids and computers,” Conley said. “But every day, Suffolk County’s young people are making smart decisions that keep themselves and their friends safe. I want to recognize and praise them as the leaders they really are.” more »
Boston, Jan. 17, 2013—A Dorchester man was ordered held on high bail on charges he coerced a teenage girl into prostitution and viciously beat her when she said she wanted to stop, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL McKOY (D.O.B. 4/27/85) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court yesterday on charges of trafficking of a person for sexual servitude, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and threatening to commit a crime. Assistant District Attorney Joseph Roseme requested McKoy be held on $50,000, stay away and have no contact with the victim or witnesses, and be subject to GPS monitoring and a curfew. Judge Franco Gobourne imposed the requested bail and stay-away order but denied the request for monitoring and curfew. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 15, 2012—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks on Operation Concord, a long-term, interagency investigation targeting the Woodward and Hendry street gangs. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 15, 2012—Twenty-eight-year-old Shawn Ray Taylor was unarmed when he was shot dead in the course of a physical altercation last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Taylor’s alleged killer, ANDREW BRITT (D.O.B. 3/24/94) of Dorchester, was arraigned in Roxbury District Court today on charges of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with Taylor’s Dec. 11, 2012, shooting death at 37 Copeland St. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Masai King, Judge Kenneth Fiandaca ordered Britt held without bail. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 16, 2012—The murder conviction in the fatal 2006 strangulation of 19-year-old Dominique Samuels will remain in place, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said, praising the efforts of homicide and appellate prosecutors in the case against her killer.
“Dominique’s life was snuffed out by one man, one vicious man who would do anything to avoid accountability for his actions,” Conley said. “Today, the Appeals Court affirmed his conviction for murder and denied him a new trial. The evidence was strong, the case was tried expertly, and justice was done for a young woman taken too soon. I’m very proud of the men and women who fought so hard on her behalf.” more »
BOSTON, Jan. 15, 2013—A South Boston man convicted nine times of operating under the influence will remain behind bars at least until later this week, when prosecutors will seek to have him held without bail as a threat to the community, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
TIMOTHY DAVIDSON (D.O.B. 7/20/61) of South Boston was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court yesterday on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol as a fifth or subsequent offense, operating after suspension, and leaving the scene of an accident causing property damage. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Michael Glennon, Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing on Jan. 18. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 14, 2012—A Weymouth man is now the target of an arrest warrant after he apparently fled the arraignment session of Dorchester District Court, where he was to face charges that he bought a bag of heroin and then fled Boston Police officers as they approached his car, dragging one down Columbia Road, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Judge Robert Baylor issued a bench warrant for ERIC J. NELSON (D.O.B. 5/12/66) after Nelson failed to appear during his arraignment today. Nelson posted $1,000 cash bail set by the bail commissioner after his arrest yesterday morning, appeared in court today, and spoke with an attorney and probation officer; when his case was called, however, he was not present in the courthouse. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 10, 2013—A Roxbury man with a history of violent offenses was held on high bail yesterday after he was arrested with crack cocaine and a handgun with an obliterated serial number during a traffic stop, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
SILAS RANKINS (D.O.B. 11/27/79) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court after his arrest early yesterday on charges of carrying a loaded firearm without a license, possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a Class B substance, and resisting arrest. Rankins, who has prior convictions for armed assault with intent to murder and assault with a dangerous weapon in 2001 and for firearm possession in 1999 and 2000, was additionally charged with unlawfully carrying a firearm as a third offense and as a Level II armed career criminal. more »
Gun Owner Licensed to Possess Firearms, but Three Were Stored Improperly
BOSTON, Jan. 9, 2013—Two Dorchester men were held on half a million dollars’ cash bail each after prosecutors said they were arrested with a shotgun, an AK-47, seven handguns, more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition, and a large quantity of cocaine, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
AMILCAR CASTILLO (D.O.B. 8/3/67) and ESTUARDO-RAFAEL CASTILLO-GUZMAN (D.O.B. 12/6/69) were arraigned today in Dorchester District Court following their arrests yesterday by Boston Police executing a search warrant at their Rill Street residence. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 9, 2013—The state’s highest court today affirmed the convictions of two men in an armed home invasion that lead to the murders of 20-year-old roommates Roland Chow and Karen Young in their Mission Hill apartment, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The Supreme Judicial Court today upheld the 2006 convictions of TERRANCE BROWN (D.O.B. 7/12/81) and NATHAN RIVERA (D.O.B. 5/19/81) on two counts of first-degree murder for the 2001 homicides, two counts of armed assault in a dwelling, and single counts of armed home invasion, and unlawful possession of a firearm. Rivera was additionally convicted of armed assault with intent to murder attempting to shoot a third roommate after running out of ammunition. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 3, 2013—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today upheld the conviction of a gang member convicted in the 2007 shooting death of 22-year-old Chiara Levin, calling the evidence of his gang affiliation important to jurors’ understanding of the facts and his motive, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
CASIMIRO BARROS (D.O.B. 6/10/86) of Roxbury was convicted in 2008 of voluntary manslaughter in Levin’s fatal shooting on March 24, 2007, as well as unlawful possession of a firearm and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for injuring his intended target, MANUEL “SPANK” ANDRADE (D.O.B. 10/30/73) of Dorchester, during the same gunfight. The Appeals Court affirmed each of the convictions. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 4, 2012— A former union official convicted of stealing more than $100,000 from funds contributed by his fellow union members was sentenced to jail time today – the second such sentence handed down in thefts from that organization, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Dec. 19 convicted JOHN HORAN (D.O.B. 7/16/54) of two counts of larceny over $250 by scheme for the theft of $105,812.53 from Local 600 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union while Horan served as its president. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 3, 2012—A Boston Police officer responded so quickly to a report of a stolen credit card being used that he was able to apprehend the suspect with more than $2,000 in fraudulently-purchased merchandise outside a Back Bay retail store, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KATHRYN P. JEMMETT (D.O.B. 3/23/67) of the Fenway was arraigned today in the Boston Municipal Court on charges of receiving stolen property and credit card fraud over $250. Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons imposed $500 cash bail. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2012—A tipster’s 911 call led to the seizure of a semiautomatic mini-rifle and four dozen rounds of ammunition from a man with no license to possess either, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ALEXIS A. LABOY (D.O.B. 11/17/88) of South Boston was arraigned today for unlawful possession of a Calico M-100 and 48 rounds of .22 caliber ammunition. South Boston District Court Judge Michael Bolden imposed $20,000 cash bail. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2013—A man whose conviction for the murder of Aston Dwayne Thompson was overturned last year by the state’s highest court pleaded guilty today in the 2003 slaying, accepting a 15-year prison term and likely deportation upon his release, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
LINROSE WOODBINE (D.O.B. 9/21/76) pleaded guilty to charges of voluntary manslaughter, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition in connection with the Dec. 15, 2003, fatal shooting of the 28-year-old Thompson, who had left the Wales Street apartment where he and some friends were celebrating his birthday. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2013—A Brighton man is charged with murder for allegedly stabbing 21-year-old Anthony Spaulding to death during a New Year’s Eve party at the victim’s Allston home, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
BRIAN MacDONALD (D.O.B. 4/7/88) was arraigned on that charge today in Brighton District Court, where Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent recommended that he be held without bail. Judge David T. Donnelly set bail at $500,000 cash. more »