Press Releases from 2013
Feb 25, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 25, 2013—A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted a Dorchester man of breaking into a West Roxbury resident’s car and trying to steal a GPS device, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DENNIS J. WINSLOW (D.O.B. 5/1/64) was indicted for larceny under $250 and breaking and entering into a vehicle at night with intent to commit a felony. Jurors Thursday convicted him of larceny and breaking and entering with intent to commit a misdemeanor. more »


Feb 21, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 21, 2013—A Winthrop man got the maximum penalty for his eighth drunk driving conviction and a lengthy term of probation for trying to swing a bench at the State trooper who arrested him, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F., Conley said today.

JOSEPH F. LIMONE (D.O.B. 6/18/51) was convicted Feb. 15 of operating under the influence as a fifth or subsequent offense, assault with a dangerous weapon, and malicious destruction of property, a misdemeanor. Assistant District Attorney David Bradley of the DA’s Senior Trial Unit recommended a total of eight to 10 years in prison, with two consecutive terms of four to five years. more »


Feb 21, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 21, 2013—A Boston man was sentenced to up to four years in prison last week after a trial in which the victim chose not to testify against the man who beat her, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

After a three-day trial, a Suffolk Superior Court jury on Feb. 12 convicted DENVILLE BEMBRIDGE (D.O.B. 5/12/74) of aggravated assault and battery for beating the victim, a family member, in his home on March 7, 2012. The victim suffered serious facial injuries, including the loss of several teeth. more »


Feb 20, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 20, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s annual Basketball for Peace tournament tomorrow will feature appearances by members of the Boston City Council and Boston School Committee, a UMass Boston vice chancellor and basketball hall-of-famer, a Boston Police detective, a former head of the City’s street worker program, and Suffolk County’s senior advocate for the victims of violent crime.

They, along with former Boston Celtics guard Dana Barros, will take to the parquet at the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Dorchester on Thursday for Conley’s annual youth basketball games, which bring city teens together with Suffolk County prosecutors, victim advocates, civilian investigators, and support staff. Also on hand will be local police, non-profit groups, and social service providers. more »


Feb 20, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 15, 2013—A Mattapan man was held on high bail at his arraignment yesterday after he was arrested with a firearm during a traffic stop, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ANTHONY DAVIS (D.O.B. 3/13/82) was arraigned in Dorchester District Court yesterday on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm as a third offense, unlawful possession of ammunition possession as a subsequent offense, and carrying a loaded firearm without a license. more »


Feb 19, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 19, 2013—A Mattapan man was held on high bail today at his arraignment for allegedly possessing a handgun recovered by Boston Police responding to a nearby homicide, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

OSMELL ODENA (D.O.B. 1/25/91) was arraigned at Dorchester District Court today on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm.  Assistant District Attorney Darcy Kofol requested Odena that be held on $100,000 cash bail and that his earlier bail be revoked on an unrelated case charging him with assault with a dangerous weapon.  Kofol additionally requested that Odena be ordered to stay away and have no contact with any witnesses in the case.  Judge Rosalind Miller granted each of the requests. more »


Feb 15, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 15, 2013—A Winthrop man was convicted of his eighth drunk driving offense today for a 2011 incident in which he failed every single field sobriety test, then kicked out one of the windows of the arresting State trooper’s cruiser, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted JOSEPH F. LIMONE (D.O.B. 6/18/51) of operating under the influence, assault with a dangerous weapon, and malicious destruction of property after a two-day trial. In a separate proceeding later this afternoon, Judge Raymond Brassard found that Limone was the same defendant previously convicted of OUI on seven prior occasions. more »


Feb 15, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 15, 2013—An employee at a Copley Square market allegedly stabbed a customer in the abdomen last night, causing life-threatening injuries, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MICHAEL L. GUESS (D.O.B. 8/27/63), a.k.a. RICHARD THOMAS, of Dorchester was arraigned today in the Boston Municipal Court on one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for last night’s incident near the intersection of Boylston and Gloucester streets in Boston’s Back Bay. more »


Feb 15, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 15, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced that his review of the 2011 police-involved shooting of a domestic violence suspect is complete, and that criminal charges are not warranted.

Those findings end the investigation into the June 14, 2011, incident on Wentworth Terrace that ultimately claimed the life of TYRONE CUMMINGS (D.O.B. 8/27/85), who assaulted and threatened to kill a 29-year-old woman pregnant with his unborn child, then opened fire on Boston Police responding to a subsequent 911 call. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 14, 2013—A Dorchester man was sentenced to life in prison today after he admitted to shooting his girlfriend, 21-year-old Alessa Castellon, to death in a 2011 act of deadly domestic violence.

JUNIOR FERNANDES (D.O.B. 5/5/89) today pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and unlawful firearm possession in the July 24, 2011, shooting death of 21-year-old Alessa Castellon of Dorchester.

Judge Linda Giles imposed the mandatory sentence for second-degree murder, life in state prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years. That sentence will run from and after a sentence of four years that Giles imposed on the firearm charge. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 14, 2013—A Winthrop man was ordered to surrender his passport and stay away from children under 18 after his arraignment on child pornography charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In addition to those orders, Assistant District Attorney Janine D’Amico recommended $25,000 cash bail for WILLIAM KROTT III (D.O.B. 10/29/82) in today’s proceedings in East Boston District Court. Judge Roberto Ronquillo, Jr., imposed bail of $3,000 – the amount Krott posted after his arrest by Winthrop and State police yesterday. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 13, 2013—Winthrop Police detectives and State Police assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office today arrested a Winthrop man for allegedly possessing and distributing child pornography.

WILLIAM A. KROTT III (D.O.B. 10/29/82) is expected to be arraigned tomorrow in East Boston District Court. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 13, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley is asking romantics everywhere to contact their legislators on Valentine’s Day in support of proposed legislation that would protect victims of domestic violence and enhance penalties for serial abusers.

“This Valentine’s Day, I’m calling on my legislators to support An Act Relative to Domestic Abuse and Public Safety on behalf of my wife or husband, boyfriend or girlfriend, mother or daughter, father or son,” reads the statement Conley posted on his Facebook page, www.facebook.com/SuffolkDA.DanConley, today. The statement is hosted on his website at www.suffolkdistrictattorney.com/uncategorized/5681 and can be sent as an email attachment or printed and sent through the mail to Massachusetts lawmakers. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2013—Five Massport employees were arrested today for allegedly taking bribes from taxi drivers in exchange for preferential – and illegal – treatment at Logan Airport’s cab stands, officials announced today.

Massachusetts State Police Colonel Timothy P. Alben, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, and Massport CEO and Executive Director Thomas P. Glynn announced the arrests of:

1. KENNETH CLEMENT (D.O.B. 1/24/46) of Attleboro,
2. MICHAEL GARVEY (D.O.B. 5/18/61) of Melrose,
3. VADIM MKRTYCHEV (D.O.B. 2/20/75) of West Roxbury,
4. JAMES MULREY (D.O.B. 10/27/67) of Canton, and
5. DONALD POTTS (D.O.B. 7/24/65) of Medford.

All five defendants are employed as Ground Transportation Unit agents, known colloquially as “cab starters.” They are each charged with accepting a corrupt gift under Chapter 268A, Section 2, of the Massachusetts General Laws. Additional defendants could be charged in the weeks ahead, authorities said. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2013—The state’s highest court today affirmed the 2008 murder conviction of a man who stabbed his ex-girlfriend’s new companion in the heart during a fight, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

HASSAUN HARRIS, (D.O.B. 7/6/74) was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2006 stabbing death of 28-year-old Jeff Igbineweka of Roslindale during a fight at a Cleary Square D’Angelo’s. The Supreme Judicial Court today upheld that conviction. more »


Feb 14, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2013—A Chelsea man was arraigned last week on drug trafficking charges after local, state, and federal investigators recovered about $10,000 worth of crystal methamphetamine from a Valentine’s-themed package sent to his home, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LAWRENCE LIGOCKI (D.O.B. 6/23/50) was arraigned Thursday in Chelsea District Court on charges of trafficking in a Class B substance and possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute. The charges reflect almost 100 grams of the drug recovered from a teddy bear in a package Ligocki accepted and a smaller amount recovered from his Willard Street home. more »


Feb 11, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 8, 2013—Prosecutors today resolved the remaining 24 cases stemming from a protracted 2011 protest on the Rose Kennedy Greenway, including five that were previously scheduled to go to trial next week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Paperwork formally terminating prosecution in those cases was filed this morning in the Boston Municipal Court after the defendants – who had been offered similar dispositions shortly after their October 2011 and December 2011 arrests but insisted upon criminal trials, only to file motions to dismiss the charges – completed more than a year of abiding by certain restrictions imposed by the court during their arraignments at prosecutors’ request. The defendants had been charged with unlawful assembly, trespassing, or both. more »


Feb 5, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 5, 2013—A convicted bank robber scheduled for trial next week on domestic violence charges is now charged with violently raping two women in separate but very similar scenarios this past weekend, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TIKEE BEVERLY (D.O.B. 1/15/76) of Roxbury was arraigned today on two complaints charging a total of three counts of rape for incidents on the morning of Feb. 2 and Feb. 3. Assistant District Attorney Rebecca Corke recommended that he be held on a total of $200,000 cash bail, that he be ordered to stay away from the victims and witnesses in the case, and that the victim’s names and personal information be kept confidential. Roxbury District Court Judge David Poole imposed a total of $60,000 cash bail and all recommended orders. Beverly was represented by attorney Sandra Odiaga. more »


Feb 5, 2013

Boston, Feb. 5, 2012—A Lynn man allegedly tried to absolve his three friends of their role in the theft of a Revere resident’s bumper, and found himself even deeper in trouble when Revere Police found almost $600 in counterfeit cash on him, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

PHALLEEN KIM (D.O.B. 8/13/90) of Lynn was arraigned Thursday in Chelsea District Court on charges of larceny over $250, possession of burglarious tools, malicious damage of a motor vehicle, and possession of counterfeit notes. Assistant District Attorney Thomas Ozbolt requested that Kim be held on $2,000 bail, that his bail on an open case out of Norfolk County be revoked, and that he be ordered to stay away from three co-defendants in the case. Judge Joseph Jennings revoked Kim’s open bail, ordered him held on $500 bail, and granted the stay away order. more »


Feb 5, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 5, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley yesterday joined US Senator Elizabeth Warren, State Representative Ruth B. Balser, and Suffolk County Sheriff Steven Tompkins to support the reauthorization of federal legislation supporting the victims of sexual assault and intimate partner violence.casamyrna2013

The rally for the Violence Against Women Act was held yesterday at Casa Myrna in Boston’s South End to encourage Congress to pass the Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act of 2013, legislation co-sponsored by Warren.

The Violence Against Women Act of 1994 was groundbreaking federal legislation that provided increased resources dedicated to preventing and responding to acts of violence against women. It was reauthorized in 2000 and again in 2005 before expiring in 2011.

“We’ve made great strides in reducing violence against women and intimate partner violence since VAWA was first passed,” Conley said, “but much more remains to be done and we can’t allow this issue to be ignored. Domestic violence and sexual assault aren’t just law enforcement issues. They’re issues of public health and public policy.”

The event was hosted by Casa Myrna, which offers comprehensive programs for the victims of domestic and dating violence. In addition to operating the statewide SafeLink hotline at 877-785-2020, Casa Myrna provides residential programs, education, and public awareness in the greater Boston area.

As district attorney – and as a Suffolk prosecutor before that – Conley has dedicated himself to reducing and preventing crimes of sexual violence. He is a co-chair of this year’s Massachusetts White Ribbon Day Campaign, which encourages men to take an active role in ending domestic and sexual violence by pledging not to commit, condone, or remain silent on acts of violence against women. More recently, he helped draft proposed legislation that would enhance penalties for repeat domestic violence offenders and specifically target assault by strangulation, which has a high correlation with homicide and attempted homicide.

–30–

All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.


Feb 5, 2013

BOSTON, Feb. 4, 2013—A Roxbury man was arrested with a stolen handgun after his friend caught the eye of Boston Police by drinking a bottle of beer from a brown paper bag, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DAJUAN ROBINSON (D.O.B. 12/11/89) was arraigned today in Roxbury District Court, where Judge Pamela Dashiell imposed the $10,000 cash bail recommended by Assistant District Attorney Thomas Costello. He was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and receiving stolen property. more »


Feb 5, 2013

BOSTON, Jan. 30, 2013 – A Chelsea man has been sentenced to life in prison for the unprovoked killing of another man in Chelsea, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

SANTOS PORTILLO (D.O.B. 7/4/90), convicted on Friday of murder in the second degree and illegal firearm possession, today received the mandatory sentence life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years, and a concurrent sentence of 4 ½ to 5 years in prison for illegally possessing the firearm that he used to fatally shoot Braulio Gomez of Chelsea on July 16, 2011. more »


Feb 5, 2013

Boston, Jan. 28, 2013 – A Roxbury man was charged today with abusing an infant and the child’s mother, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

STEVEN VELASQUEZ (D.O.B. 5/27/93) was arraigned in South Boston District Court on three separate dockets charging him with four counts of assault and battery on a child causing injury and two counts of assault and battery. Assistant District Attorney David Newton requested Velasquez be held on $101,000 bail and be ordered to stay away from the victims. He also asked that Velasquez’s bail be revoked on an open case out of Boston Municipal Court in which he is charged with larceny from a person. more »


Feb 5, 2013

BOSTON, Jan. 25, 2013—A Winthrop man was sentenced to life in prison today after a jury found him guilty of murdering 36-year-old Casey Taylor, whose badly decomposed body was found under a porch more than a week after the 2011 slaying, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors found JOHN LACOY (D.O.B. 2/9/64) guilty of the indicted charge of second-degree murder for stabbing Taylor once in the heart inside Lacoy’s bedroom at 429 Winthrop St. on July 31, 2011. Taylor’s body was discovered on Aug. 9 after neighbors reported an overpowering odor coming from beneath the porch of Lacoy’s building. more »