Press Releases from 2013
Mar 29, 2013

BOSTON, March 29, 2013—A Roxbury man received a lengthy prison sentence this week after his conviction on a 2009 street robbery spree, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

ALEXANDER CURET, Sr., (D.O.B. 3/13/68) was sentenced Wednesday to a term of 10 to 12 years in state prison following his March 6 convictions on two counts of unarmed robbery and one count each of armed robbery, assault and battery, and receiving a stolen motor vehicle. more »


Mar 28, 2013

BOSTON, March 28, 2013—A man who jumped bail after being arrested for impersonating a police officer was taken into custody and held on high bail today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

SANDRO ANAYA (D.O.B. 4/6/94) was arraigned in Chelsea District court today on that charge, receiving a stolen motor vehicle, carrying a dangerous weapon, violating a City of Revere ordinance against carrying a knife with a blade longer than 2½ inches, and operating a vehicle as a junior operator without a licensed driver. Judge Benjamin Barnes imposed $50,000 cash bail. more »


Mar 28, 2013

BOSTON, March 28, 2013—The man charged in two similar rapes near the Roxbury and Jamaica Plain border has been indicted for three more violent attacks on women, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.

The indictments, returned yesterday, charge TIKEE BEVERLY (D.O.B. 1/15/76) of Roxbury with a total of 13 offenses linked to five known assaults between September 2012 and February 2013. Specifically, the indictments charge Beverly with four counts each of rape and aggravated rape, two counts each of robbery and kidnapping, and one count of assault with a dangerous weapon. more »


Mar 28, 2013

BOSTON, March 28, 2013—The Suffolk County Grand Jury has brought new charges against a West Roxbury man, his wife, and the corporation of which they and their eldest son are the sole employees, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.

The grand jury on March 21 returned indictments charging STEVEN PALLADINO (D.O.B. 9/11/57), LORI PALLADINO (D.O.B. 2/17/61), and VIKING FINANCIAL GROUP with one count of larceny over $250 for allegedly taking money from additional, previously-uncharged victims and one count of uttering for allegedly forging an investor’s name on a check that allowed them to move victims’ money into a personal bank account. more »


Mar 27, 2013

BOSTON, March 27, 2013—A Boston man will spend the rest of his life in prison for murdering 29-year-old Erica Field and trying to murder her boyfriend in a Dorchester parking lot, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

AMOS “ACE” DON (D.O.B. 3/11/86) was convicted yesterday and sentenced today for first-degree murder in Field’s Aug. 25, 2009, homicide. That crime carries a mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole, which was imposed by Suffolk Superior Court Judge Christine McEvoy this morning. more »


Mar 27, 2013

BOSTON, March 27, 2013 – An Everett man was charged with murder and ordered held without bail in the stabbing death last month of 44-year-old Corey Thompson, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

CHRISTOPHER W. POWELL (D.O.B. 5/2/73) of Everett was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court this morning in Thompson’s stabbing death in the South End last month.  Judge Mark Hart Summerville ordered Powell held without bail at the request of Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin, chief of the DA’s Homicide unit. more »


Mar 27, 2013

BOSTON, March 26, 2013—An Everett man is in custody this evening, charged with murder in the fatal stabbing of Corey Thompson in Boston’s South End last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.

CHRISTOPHER W. POWELL (D.O.B. 5/2/73) is expected to be arraigned tomorrow in the Boston Municipal Court. more »


Mar 27, 2013

BOSTON, March 26, 2013 – The man who killed a 29-year-old woman from Lewiston, Maine, and shot a second victim in the head in 2009 has been found guilty of murder, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury deliberated for one day before finding AMOS “ACE” DON (D.O.B. 3/11/86) of Dorchester guilty of murder in the first degree in the shooting death of Erica Field, as well as aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, armed assault with intent to murder, and illegal possession of a firearm in the non-fatal shooting of the woman’s boyfriend. more »


Mar 22, 2013

BOSTON, March 22, 2013—A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a Lancaster man of robbing one woman at gunpoint and taking part in the attempted robbery of another in Dorchester incidents that were just minutes apart, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

After a two-day trial, jurors convicted AL MARTIN (D.O.B. 1/21/77) of armed assault with intent to rob and armed robbery for crimes against two women in the early morning hours of July 20, 2010. Martin was not charged with unlawful possession of a firearm because at the time of the incident he possessed a valid license to carry the firearm used in the two incidents. more »


Mar 20, 2013

BOSTON, March 20, 2013—A Cambridge man was arraigned today after MBTA Transit Police worked with the woman he allegedly assaulted to identify him on a train they often rode together, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

BASHIR SHAIKH (D.O.B. 3/1/50) was charged today with indecent assault and battery for the incident at Downtown Crossing station last week. Assistant District Attorney Michael V. Glennon recommended that Shaikh be held on $1500 cash bail and be ordered to stay away from the victim and off of the Red Line. Boston Municipal Court Judge Thomas Horgan imposed $1000 bail, ordered Shaikh to stay away from the victim, and ordered him to stay off of the MBTA while his case is pending. more »


Mar 20, 2013

BOSTON, March 20, 2013—Jury selection has begun for the trial of a man accused of murder in the 1988 strangulation death of 20-year-old Janet Phinney in West Roxbury.

Thirteen jurors have been seated and three more remain to be empanelled for the trial of MICHAEL COKER (D.O.B. 7/3/62), formerly of Hyde Park. Coker is charged with first-degree murder. more »


Mar 19, 2013

BOSTON, March 19, 2013—Two Rhode Island men were arraigned today for allegedly passing counterfeit bills at the bar of a downtown hotel, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

FELIX PEREZ (D.O.B. 4/5/89) of Providence and DANA LEYLAND (D.O.B. 7/5/83) of Pawtucket were arraigned today in the Boston municipal Court on one count each of possessing counterfeit notes and uttering counterfeit currency. Leyland is additionally charged with providing a false name to arresting Boston Police officers – apparently because of outstanding warrants for related offenses. more »


Mar 19, 2013

BOSTON, March 19, 2013—State Police assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are investigating a woman’s death last night near a rail yard in the City of Boston.

The Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit responded to the area of the Beacon Park Rail Yard shortly before midnight, finding the woman’s remains on the tracks beneath Route 90 eastbound. She has been identified as a 29-year-old New Hampshire woman but her name is not being released at this time. more »


Mar 18, 2013

BOSTON, March 18, 2013—A West Roxbury man is expected this afternoon in Suffolk Superior Court and his wife is scheduled to appear next month on charges that they ran a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme and used investors’ funds to pay for their own lavish lifestyle, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner Edward Davis announced today.

Boston Police detectives began the investigation last year.  On March 13, the Suffolk County Grand Jury returned indictments against STEVEN PALLADINO (D.O.B. 9/11/57) and LORI PALLADINO (D.O.B. 2/17/61), charging the couple  with four counts of larceny over $250, three counts of making false entries in corporate books, one count of uttering, and three counts of usury, commonly referred to as loan sharking. Steven Palladino is also charged as a common and notorious thief based on more than two dozen prior larceny convictions in Suffolk Superior and Norfolk Superior courts. more »


Mar 15, 2013

BOSTON, March 14, 2013—Jury selection has begun and opening statements could come as early as today in the trial of a Boston man charged with the slaying of 29-year-old Erica Field, a Lewiston, Maine, woman found shot to death in a Dorchester parking lot.

AMOS “ACE” DON (D.O.B. 3/11/86) is charged with first-degree murder for Field’s death, as well as armed assault with intent to murder and aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for allegedly shooting her boyfriend in the head during the 2009 incident. more »


Mar 12, 2013

BOSTON, March 12, 2013—A Braintree man was arraigned yesterday for allegedly firing at one man and shooting a second last week as part of an ongoing feud between two rival street gangs, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PAUL WALROND (D.O.B. 8/9/90) was formally charged yesterday in Roxbury District Court with two counts each of armed assault with intent to murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building for incidents on March 7 and 8. He was also charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle for the March 8 incident. Because of prior convictions for assault and battery, Walrond is charged as a Level III armed career criminal. Because the firearm believed to have been used in both incidents had been reported stolen, he is also charged with receiving stolen property. more »


Mar 12, 2013

BOSTON, March 12, 2013—A Dorchester man was arraigned yesterday after MBTA Transit Police stopped him for driving erratically and found an empty bottle of cognac and an unregistered firearm in his vehicle, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MICHAEL A. JONES (D.O.B. 6/5/71) was arraigned in Dorchester District Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, operating under the influence of alcohol, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle. more »


Mar 8, 2013

BOSTON, March 8, 2013—A Suffolk Superior Court jury returned verdicts today convicting a man of armed assault with intent to murder for a near-fatal stabbing at a Boston homeless shelter, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors also found GARY BLACK (D.O.B. 4/28/79) guilty of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for repeatedly stabbing a homeless man in the leg, chest, back, and face during the May 28, 2009, incident at the St. Francis House shelter in Boston’s Chinatown. more »


Mar 8, 2013

BOSTON, March 8, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s chief homicide prosecutor was inducted last week into one of the nation’s premier legal associations.

Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin, chief of the DA’s Homicide Unit since 2008, was named a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers at a March 2 ceremony in Naples, Florida. Present for the ceremony were about 600 of the nation’s most outstanding attorneys. more »


Mar 7, 2013

BOSTON, March 7, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today led a State House auditorium full of men in a pledge to take a stand against violence against women as part of an annual statewide campaign.

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley (center, at podium) leads the Massachusetts State House’s Gardner Auditorium in a pledge “to be part of the solution in ending violence against women.” Conley co-chaired this year’s campaign, organized by Jane Doe, Inc., to involve men in the effort to stop sexual and domestic violence.

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley (center, at podium) leads the Massachusetts State House’s Gardner Auditorium in a pledge “to be part of the solution in ending violence against women.” Conley co-chaired this year’s campaign, organized by Jane Doe, Inc., to involve men in the effort to stop sexual and domestic violence.

Conley co-chaired this year’s Massachusetts White Ribbon Day campaign, launched in 2008 by Jane Doe, Inc., the Massachusetts Coalition against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence. Jane Doe Inc. adopted the White Ribbon Campaign because, while cases of sexual and domestic violence can involve victims and offenders from every walk of life, men have a unique role to play in ending male violence against women.

“Far and away, most men will tell you honestly that they’d never hit a woman,” Conley said to a crowd at the State House’s Gardner Auditorium this afternoon. “But that’s not enough in an age when boys and young men are bombarded with imagery that encourages aggressive and dominating behavior toward their partners. We need to take an active role in discouraging that behavior whenever and wherever we see it. So I want to say this to all the young men here today: You don’t have to limit yourself to a stereotype. You can show strength in your relationships without showing violence. You can show commitment to your partner without using control. And you can be a man without ever hurting a woman.” more »


Mar 6, 2013

BOSTON, March 6, 2013—An Everett man allegedly admitted to firing the shots that killed 21-year-old Elder Morales in Chelsea last night. Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.

JONATHAN CASTRO (D.O.B. 7/30/90), a.k.a. JONATHAN CASTRO SALA, a.k.a. MANUEL CASTRO, a.k.a. MANUEL JONATHAN CASTRO MENJIVAR was arraigned on a murder charge today in Chelsea District Court. Granting a request by Assistant District Attorney Mark Zanini, Judge Martine Carroll ordered Castro held without bail. more »


Mar 6, 2013

BOSTON, March 6, 2013—The Suffolk County Grand Jury yesterday returned an indictment charging a South Boston man with murder for allegedly causing a fellow inmate’s death while beating him late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The indictment charges LESLIE JURCZUK (D.O.B. 10/15/61) with second-degree murder for the Dec. 2, 2012, homicide of 25-year-old Alexander Callahan of West Roxbury. At the time of Callahan’s death, both men were serving sentences at the Suffolk County House of Corrections at South Bay. Jurczuk was serving a two-and-a-half-year term for domestic assault and battery, while Callahan was serving one year for assault. more »


Mar 6, 2013

BOSTON, March 6, 2013—A Quincy man whose alleged robbery get-up aroused the suspicions of two separate bank tellers was arraigned yesterday on charges he robbed one South Boston bank just minutes after his attempt across the street was foiled, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

PATRICK HENNESSEY (D.O.B. 10/9/81) was arraigned in South Boston District Court yesterday on one count each of unarmed robbery and attempted unarmed robbery for the incidents late last month.  more »


Mar 6, 2013

BOSTON, March 6, 2013—An Everett man is in custody for last night’s fatal shooting in Chelsea, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes announced.

JONATHAN CASTRO SALA, 22, is charged with murder. He is expected to be arraigned in Chelsea District Court today for the homicide of a man in his 20s on Blossom Street. The victim has been tentatively identified but his name is not being released at this time. more »


Mar 5, 2013

Arrest Follows Incident at Courthouse; Defendant on Probation for Possessing 12 Firearms

BOSTON, March 5, 2013—A Chelsea man on probation for multiple gun convictions and free on bail for allegedly bringing live ammunition into a Boston courthouse was arrested on Revere Beach with an illegal firearm and other weapons on Friday – the very same day he was released from custody, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JACK LINDSEY (D.O.B. 2/2/47) was arraigned yesterday in Chelsea District Court on charges of unlawful firearm possession as a fourth or subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition as a subsequent offense, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, carrying a dangerous weapon as a fourth offense, and possessing a knife in violation of a Revere city ordinance.  more »


Mar 4, 2013

BOSTON, March 4, 2013—Six men were held on high bails today at their arraignments on gun and drug charges, including one man with a pending gun charge whose earlier drug charges were dismissed because the assigned chemist is under investigation, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Dorchester District Court Judge James Coffey imposed $200,000 cash bail for: more »


Mar 4, 2013

BOSTON, March 4, 2013—A Lynn man with a history of violent and firearm-related charges was ordered held on high bail at his arraignment today on firearm and other charges, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

EUGENE DAVIS (D.O.B. 1/10/71) of Lynn was arraigned in Chelsea District Court today on charges of illegal firearm possession, illegal firearm possession as a third or subsequent offense, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct, leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.  more »


Mar 4, 2013

BOSTON, March 4, 2013—A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a former MBTA bus driver of lying to MBTA Transit Police by saying she’d been shot at by an unknown assailant five years ago, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors convicted NANCY L. PARKER (D.O.B. 10/12/58) of misleading an investigator, a felony under the state’s witness intimidation statute, for the 2007 incident aboard an MBTA bus. She faces up to 10 years behind bars when she is sentenced later this week. more »


Mar 4, 2013

BOSTON, March 4, 2013—An Abington man was arraigned Friday on charges he was driving under the influence of drugs and without a license when he struck two children on a crosswalk in Dorchester, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

MICHAEL DUCA (10/23/84) was arraigned on charges of operating after suspension, operating under the influence of drugs, and negligent operation of a motor vehicle at his Dorchester District Court arraignment.  Assistant District Attorney Caitlin Grasso requested bail be set at $2,000 and that his bail be revoked in two open cases out of Plymouth District Court and a third case out of Quincy District Court, each of which charge Duca with operating after suspension.  She additionally requested that Duca be required to abstain from drugs and alcohol and be subject to random urine tests. more »


Mar 4, 2013

BOSTON, March 1, 2013—Two men were ordered held without bail today following their arraignments for the shooting death of 26-year-old Courtney Jackson at the Dudley MBTA station last night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JAMEL BANNISTER (D.O.B. 10/7/90) of Dorchester and BRIAN COOPER (D.O.B. 1/19/88) of Mattapan are both charged with murder and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with the incident at about 9:50 last night. more »