BOSTON, April 30, 2013—Prosecutors today arraigned eight men accused of taking part in a vicious group attack inside a parking garage, bringing the total number of defendants in the case to 12, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »
BOSTON, April 30, 2013—A 14-year-old girl is charged with setting the front door of a popular roller-skating rink on fire Saturday night after being denied entry, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The Mattapan teen, whose name will not be released because of her age, was arraigned yesterday in the juvenile session of Dorchester District Court. Assistant District Attorney Amanda Cascione recommended that she be held on $5,000 cash bail; Judge Leslie Harris released her to the custody of her grandmother with orders to abide by a 5:00 p.m. curfew, attend school each day and arrive on time, and stay away from the scene of the incident and any witnesses. more »
BOSTON, April 30, 2013—A Roxbury man with a decades-long record for larceny and robbery has been charged in a 16-count indictment alleging six thefts in Boston and even one in Cambridge, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
KEVIN DRAYTON (D.O.B. 12/4/63) was arraigned yesterday in Suffolk Superior Court on four counts of larceny from a person, two counts of receiving stolen property under $250, five counts of receiving stolen property over $250, and one count each of larceny under $250, attempted larceny from a person, and attempted larceny over $250. more »
BOSTON, April 29, 2013—A Chelsea woman with a long list of aliases and two outstanding warrants was arraigned last week on a new charge alleging she robbed a bank, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
JODIE PERKINS (D.O.B. 10/17/67) was arraigned Thursday in Chelsea District Court on a charge of armed robbery. Assistant District Attorney Christopher Henry requested bail be set at $50,000. Judge Benjamin Barnes set bail at $1,700 and declined to revoke Perkins bail on two open Chelsea cases in which default warrants had been issued. more »
BOSTON, April 29, 2013—The state’s highest court recently upheld a career criminal’s 2004 conviction for the 1974 murder of 14-year-old Carlos Matos in Roxbury, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The conviction ensures that RODOLFO CARR (D.O.B. 6/2/54), a.k.a. HONDURAS, will serve out his sentence of life in prison without the possibility of parole for shooting Matos to death after an Aug. 5, 1974, dispute near a park on Dudley Street. more »
BOSTON, April 26, 2013 —A second person has been ordered held without bail in the 2012 stabbing death of 39-year-old Cherby LaJoie, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
TARAYIAH “TIP” HUNT (D.O.B. 1/1/92) of Dorchester was arraigned Wednesday in Dorchester District Court on a charge of murder. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Craig Iannini, Judge Kenneth Fiandaca ordered Hunt held without bail. more »
BOSTON, April 26, 2013—A South Boston man was arraigned earlier this month on charges he ditched more than 3,000 prescription painkillers on a New York to Boston bus, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
GREGORY HORNE (D.O.B. 5/21/81) of South Boston was arraigned April 11 in Boston Municipal Court on a charge of trafficking in a Class B substance. Assistant District Attorney Neil Flynn requested Horne be held on $250,000 bail. Judge Patricia Bernstein set bail at $5,000, which Horne had posted prior to arraignment. more »
BOSTON, April 25, 2013—A Cambridge man was arraigned today on charges he attacked two people at a train station earlier this month, puncturing one victim’s lung by stabbing him, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JOSE MURILLO (D.O.B. 5/21/85) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court today on two charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Erica Brody, Judge Annette Forde set bail at $25,000 and ordered Murillo to stay away from his two victims. more »
“Whether You Work on Boylston Street or Blue Hill Ave, Your Family and Your Safety are Important to Us”
BOSTON, April 23, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks at Ruggles MBTA station to roll out an advertising campaign observing National Crime Victim Rights Week. The campaign was funded by a grant from the Department of Justice Office for Victims of Crime that Conley’s office sought and obtained last year.
“In the aftermath of last week’s terrible tragedies in Boston and across the river, we saw a tremendous outpouring of support from people who wanted to help the investigation. We got tips, phone calls, photos, and videos from people across the city. And as we all know, that assistance paid off. We’re much closer to justice for the victims because of that help.
“But in the time since Monday’s bombings, we’ve had two homicides in the City of Boston, and those victims deserve justice too. Their families deserve the same outpouring of support we saw over the past few days. more »
BOSTON, April 23, 2013—A Roslindale man was convicted of murder today and his friend found guilty of helping him in the aftermath of 19-year-old Kenneth Soto’s 2011 stabbing death in Jamaica Plain, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury this afternoon convicted HECTOR “NEMO” SOTO (D.O.B. 3/16/91) of murder in the second degree, and CHRISTIAN RIVERA (D.O.B. 12/17/88) of Mission Hill of being accessory to murder after the fact. Sentencing will take place on Wednesday, May 1, at which time Judge Raymond Brassard is expected to sentence Soto to the mandatory sentence of life in prison with the possibility of parole in 15 years. Rivera faces a maximum of seven years. more »
BOSTON, April 22, 2013—The driver who inadvertently left a 1-year-old boy in a day care van where he died of hyperthermia will not face criminal charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said after meeting with the boy’s family, their attorneys, victim-witness advocates, and Boston Police today. Those findings were announced after being withheld since last year at the request of representatives of the family and their attorneys. The meeting today was scheduled last month.
After a comprehensive investigation of the facts, circumstances, and legal issues surrounding Gabriel Pierre’s death, senior prosecutors assigned to the DA’s Homicide, Child Protection, and Appellate units agreed that Massachusetts’ criminal statutes do not provide a legal foundation for charges against LUIS MATOS, who left the boy in his van on the afternoon of Sept. 12, 2011. more »
BOSTON, April 22, 2013—A Charlestown man was held on high bail on 30 separate counts last week after a lengthy investigation that turned up drugs and a firearm stolen from a courthouse evidence locker, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
MELVIN JONES (D.O.B. 2/24/74) of Charlestown was arraigned April 16 in Charlestown District Court on four separate dockets charging him with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, improper storage of a firearm, receiving stolen property, and 12 drug charges related to the distribution or possession with intent to distribute Class A, Class B, Class D, and Class E substances. more »
BOSTON, April 18, 2013—A twice-convicted double-murderer will not get a third trial for the 1986 slayings of two men in Boston’s North End, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
In a sharply-worded, 28-page decision filed yesterday, Chief Justice for Administration and Management Robert Mulligan denied a motion for new trial filed by LOUIS COSTA, convicted with FRANK DiBENEDETTO in 1988 and again in 1994 of two counts of first-degree murder for the shooting deaths of Frank Chiuchiolo and Joseph Bottari. Mulligan last year denied a similar motion filed by DiBenedetto; his decision on Costa’s motion essentially closes the case for good. more »
Shortly after the explosions of two devices at the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley responded to the scene and assigned three top prosecutors to the investigation. Each has extensive experience in violent death probes and each has coordinated many times in the past with local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies. Though the bombing investigation is being led by the FBI, Suffolk prosecutors are on hand to take on any state-level proceedings arising out of the case.
In the aftermath of the explosions, Conley addressed the public twice, delivering the following remarks at a command post located in the Westin Copley Hotel. more »
BOSTON, April 12, 2013—The defendant in one gun case was convicted yesterday and the suspect in another was arraigned and held on high bail in a separate proceeding today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury yesterday convicted GIROLD GRAND-PIERRE (D.O.B. 6/23/85) of Somerville on two counts each of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. The charges arise out of an incident two years ago in which Grand-Pierre tossed two handguns into a dumpster near a Roxbury housing development.
And in a separate case arising out of an arrest yesterday evening, DEARRO BROWN (D.O.B. 7/25/87) of Roxbury was arraigned today in South Boston District Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and trespassing. Judge Michael Coyne set his bail at $100,000. more »
BOSTON, April 12, 2013— A Charlestown man is now charged with four counts of possessing child pornography, two more than he was initially arraigned on late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMES MANSFIELD (D.O.B. 5/10/65) was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court following his Feb. 28 indictment by the Suffolk County Grand Jury. Assistant District Attorney Gloriann Moroney requested that Mansfield’s bail remain at $20,000, as set at his Charlestown District Court arraignment on Oct. 15. The four-count indictment moves the case from district court to Superior Court, where it will be adjudicated. more »
BOSTON, April 10, 2013—Six Boston College seniors were arraigned today on charges they vandalized a Brighton apartment, damaging a gas line and leaving behind a dangerous leak, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Charged in Brighton District Court with breaking and entering in the nighttime and willful and malicious destruction of property over $250 were: more »
BOSTON, April 10, 2013–District Attorney Daniel F. Conley yesterday sent the following letter to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in support of Senate Bill 649, imploring the republican leader to help pass the bill without delay. This common-sense legislation has the support of the majority of Americans, and Conley asked McConnell to put his support behind the bill in order to protect the public from further, pointless gun violence.
BOSTON, April 9, 2013—A man and woman were arraigned on multiple firearms charges yesterday after workers looking for bedbugs instead discovered firearms hidden under a mattress, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said.
SAYIRA COOPER (D.O.B. 3/30/89) of the South End and DANNIE LEVY (D.O.B. 4/12/83) of Mattapan were each arraigned on 11 counts each of unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition, two counts of possessing a firearm with a defaced serial number, and one count each of illegal possession of a large capacity weapon, improper storage of a large capacity weapon, and unsafe storage with a minor present. Assistant District Attorney Lindsey Weinstein requested bail for both defendants be set at $100,000, and that they be subject to GPS monitoring, abide by a curfew, and comply with any requirements set forth by the Department of Children and Families. Judge Raymond Dougan set bail for Cooper at $3,500 and for Levy at $7,500 and imposed the requested conditions. more »
BOSTON, April 8, 2013—A Mattapan man was ordered held without bail on charges that he executed 25-year-old Keosha Gilmore last year because she did not share his romantic feelings, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.
CHRISTOPHER JACKSON (D.O.B. 10/8/86) was arraigned today in Dorchester District Court on single counts of murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition in Gilmore’s Feb. 19, 2012, shooting death. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Gretchen Lundgren, Judge Rosalind Miller ordered him held without bail. more »
BOSTON, April 8, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley delivered the following remarks upon receiving the Gerard D. Downing Leadership Award from the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance. The award, named after former Berkshire County District Attorney Gerard Downing, is bestowed annually upon “an agency leader … who has demonstrated unwavering commitment to advancing the rights of crime victims and is recognized by his or her colleagues for their efforts in advancing victim rights.” more »
BOSTON, April 5, 2013—A Dorchester man was arraigned today on charges that he participated in the stabbing of his ex-girlfriend, the mother of his 8-month-old child, by his new partner, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Assistant District Attorney Jennifer OKeeffe of the DA’s Domestic Violence Team recommended that DAQUAN SPARKS (D.O.B. 8/22/93) be held on $500,000 cash bail and be ordered to stay away from the victim and wear a GPS tracking device if he posts that amount. Dorchester District Court Judge Rosalind Miller imposed $75,000 cash bail and set the recommended conditions of release. more »
BOSTON, April 4, 2013—A Utah man today admitted to possessing child pornography on a flight to Boston, receiving a suspended sentence and a series of strict conditions, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
GRANT SMITH (D.O.B. 5/28/64) of Salt Lake City pleaded guilty to one count of possessing child pornography. Prosecutors recommended a sentence of 2½ years in a house of correction, with one year to serve up front and the balance suspended for a five-year probationary term. East Boston District Court Judge Roberto Ronquillo, Jr., imposed a 2½-year term, suspending the entire sentence. The five-year probationary term will be monitored by authorities in Utah, where he must register in accordance with that state’s sex offender registration requirements. more »
BOSTON, April 3, 2013—Janet Phinney’s killer was finally held accountable for her slaying 25 years ago, with a Suffolk Superior Court jury finding the 20-year-old’s one-time boyfriend guilty of murder, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
After about two days of deliberations, jurors found MICHAEL COKER (D.O.B. 7/3/62) of West Roxbury guilty of second-degree murder. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke imposed the mandatory sentence for that offense, life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years. more »
BOSTON, April 3, 2013—A Suffolk Superior Court jury deliberated for fewer than 15 minutes last week before convicting a recidivist drug dealer of selling heroin to a plainclothes Boston Police officer, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors on March 27 convicted JULIO MEDINA (D.O.B. 8/14/58) of distributing a Class A substance in a school zone for selling members of the District D-4 Drug Control Unit five bags of heroin near a South End school in 2009. The drug evidence in the case had been certified by Annie Dookhan, a former Department of Public Health chemist accused of mishandling evidence in some cases. more »
BOSTON, April 2, 2013—A Chelsea man was held on high bail after his arraignment this week on 20 separate charges after Chelsea Police discovered firearms, ammunition, stun guns, and drugs inside two apartments he occupied, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
FREDERICK J. BONAMO (D.O.B. 4/1/41) was arraigned in Chelsea District Court yesterday on four counts each of unlawful firearm possession and possession of an electric stun gun; two counts of trafficking in heroin; and one count each of possession with intent to distribute a class B substance, possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine, possession of a class C substance, possession of a class E substance, and unlawful possession of ammunition. more »
BOSTON, April 2, 2013—A Roxbury man accused of five violent attacks on women was held on $1 million cash bail today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson imposed the amount requested by Assistant District Attorney Patrick Devlin for TIKEE BEVERLY (D.O.B. 1/15/76), who was indicted late last month on 13 charges stemming from assaults in Dorchester, Roxbury, and Jamaica Plain. more »
BOSTON, April 2, 2013—A Dorchester teen was arraigned today on charges that she stabbed the mother of an 8-month-old baby while the child’s father held the victim down, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
SAMIA JONES (D.O.B. 2/29/96) was formally charged in Dorchester District Court with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder for the incident yesterday afternoon on Midland Street. Assistant District Attorney Brian Brodigan recommended that she be held on $500,000 cash bail, that she be ordered to stay away from the victim, and that she wear a GPS device if she posts that amount; Judge Robert McKenna imposed $50,000 cash bail and all the recommended conditions of release. more »
BOSTON, April 1, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley will receive a top award from the state’s leading victim rights organization during an annual ceremony next week.
Conley will receive the Gerard D. Downing Leadership Award from the Massachusetts Office of Victim Assistance at next week’s 2013 Victim Rights Awards ceremony at the Massachusetts State House. more »