Press Releases from 2013
Aug 28, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 28, 2013—A Medford man was held without bail today at his arraignment on murder charges for allegedly shooting 33-year-old Edward Villalona, his one-time friend, on Easter Sunday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

YERRI PEREZ (D.O.B. 9/19/91) was formally charged in Roxbury District Court with murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition for Villalona’s March 31 homicide in Jamaica Plain. more »


Aug 27, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 27, 2013—A single justice of the Supreme Judicial Court has denied the twice-convicted murderers of Joseph Bottari and Frank Chiuchiolo an appeal of another judge’s denial of a motion for a third trial after finding that the “newly discovered evidence” they presented would not have been a factor in the deliberations of juries that convicted them in the North End executions they committed more than 25 years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In separate decisions entered Aug. 23 and received by prosecutors late yesterday, Justice Barbara Lenk denied the appeals of LOUIS COSTA and FRANK DiBENEDETTO after a Suffolk Superior Court judge denied their earlier motions for new trials in the 1986 slayings, for which both men were convicted of two counts of first-degree murder, first in 1988 and again in 1994. more »


Aug 26, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 26, 2013—More than four years after he allegedly opened fire on a car full of young adults, killing three and nearly killing a fourth, the suspect in an unprovoked 2009 triple homicide in Dorchester was finally arraigned in the courtroom he fought so long to avoid, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

KERON PIERRE (D.O.B. 11/26/85), formerly of Mattapan, was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court today on three counts of first-degree murder for the March 29, 2009, shooting deaths of Shacora Gaines, 20, of Brockton; Chantal Palmer, 20, of Brockton; and Anthony Peoples, 19, of Boston. He was also charged with armed assault with intent to murder for allegedly shooting at but not hitting a 23-year-old woman who was also in the vehicle, and unlawful possession of a firearm. more »


Aug 26, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 26, 2013—A Revere man was held on high bail at his arraignment today on charges he fatally stabbed his friend, 50-year-old Ronald Russo of Winthrop, after the two spent Saturday evening drinking together, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PETER DECONINCK (DOB 10/5/66) of Revere was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on one count of murder for Russo’s death and additional counts of disorderly conduct and threats for his alleged actions when approached by Revere Police later Saturday night.  Assistant District Attorney Masai King requested that Deconinck be held without bail.  Judge Michele Hogan set bail in the amount of $1 million. more »


Aug 26, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 25, 2013—The principal defendant in the 2009 murders of Shacora Gaines, Chantal Palmer, and Anthony Peoples is expected to face arraignment tomorrow after his rendition to the United States late last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

KERON PIERRE (D.O.B. 11/26/85), formerly of Mattapan, fled Massachusetts days after the March 29, 2009, shootings on Mt. Ida Road in Dorchester. He was identified as a suspect in December 2009, was indicted in January 2010, and was arrested in Trinidad on unrelated charges several months later. He remained in custody since that time, challenging extradition proceedings to avoid facing trial. He recently abandoned those efforts, however, and US Marshals on Friday escorted him from Trinidad to Boston’s Logan Airport, where Boston Police placed him under arrest. more »


Aug 23, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 23, 2013—District Attorney Daniel F. Conley yesterday brought children from across Boston and Suffolk County together for a day of fun celebrating teamwork and nonviolence, joining in a nationwide observance of the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

The 11th annual Soccer for Peace tournament brought about 150 kids and teens to Pope John Paul II Field in Dorchester for the tournaments and other events highlighting the importance of peace and nonviolence. more »


Aug 21, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 21, 2013—A Winthrop man was arraigned this week on an array of charges for allegedly exposing himself to a father and son inside a Revere Beach bath house, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CLIFFORD AVERY (D.O.B. 2/14/69) was arraigned Monday in Chelsea District Court on charges of assault, open and gross lewdness, lewd and lascivious behavior, indecent exposure, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and trespassing.  Assistant District Attorney Andrew Miller requested that Avery be held on $10,000 bail and be ordered to wear a GPS monitor, not leave the state, and remain alcohol free while his case is pending. more »


Aug 20, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 20, 2013—A forensic review of a child pornography suspect’s computers and cameras led investigators to video files depicting his alleged rape of a 15-year-old girl he met through online chats, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

GERALDO DESOUZA (D.O.B. 9/13/71) of Revere was indicted Aug. 14 and arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on counts of aggravated rape of a child, dissemination of material harmful to minors, posing or exhibiting a child in a state of nudity, photographing or recording an unsuspecting person in a state of nudity or partial nudity, and possession of a false Registry of Motor Vehicles document. more »


Aug 20, 2013

BOSTON, August 20, 2013—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today affirmed the conviction of the Lucerne Street Doggz associate who murdered 20-year-old Antoine Perkins in the aftermath of a drug rip seven years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In an unpublished decision, the appellate court upheld the second-degree murder conviction of JAMES “GUNNA” WALKER (D.O.B. 9/9/86), a member of the Lucerne Street Doggz who on July 22, 2006, shot Perkins in the head in retaliation for assistance the victim gave to a friend from whom Walker stole a large amount of marijuana.  Walker was convicted at trial in 2010 and is currently serving a life term. more »


Aug 16, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 16, 2013—An East Boston man was arraigned today for using a machete to attack a friend who allegedly threw a traffic cone through his window after a fight, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSEPH CAHILL (D.O.B. 7/10/53) was arraigned in East Boston District Court on a charge of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.  Judge Kenneth Fiandaca set bail at $25,000 and ordered that Cahill wear a GPS monitor, stay away from the victim, surrender his passport, and stay within 15 miles of Boston. more »


Aug 16, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 16, 2013—A Dorchester man was held on high bail today on charges that he opened fire at Boston Police as they investigated a suspected drug transaction early this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ANTHONY TOOMBS (D.O.B. 4/12/92) was charged in Dorchester District Court with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, unlawfully discharging a firearm within 500’ of a dwelling, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a public employee, resisting arrest, and trespassing. more »


Aug 16, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 16, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s annual Soccer for Peace tournament will observe the 50th anniversary of one of American history’s most important orations – the “I Have a Dream” speech by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at the 1963 March on Washington.

Across the US, individuals and organizations will be commemorating King’s words and their legacy five decades after they were spoken at the Lincoln Memorial on Aug. 28, 1963. The week-long remembrance runs from Aug. 21 through Aug. 28; this year’s Soccer for Peace event will be held on Aug. 22. more »


Aug 15, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 15, 2013—Amy Lord’s alleged killer abducted her from her South Boston home, drove her to multiple banks to withdraw money, stabbed her to death, and then set her car on fire, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said at the man’s murder arraignment today.

West Roxbury District Court Judge Kathleen Coffey granted prosecutors’ requests that EDWIN ALEMANY (D.O.B. 9/2/84) be held without bail pending trial. She also ordered him to return to Bridgewater State Hospital for further observation. Alemany is charged in West Roxbury with one count of murder. more »


Aug 14, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 14, 2013—The South Boston man charged in the murder of 24-year-old Amy Lord was held on $3 million cash bail today at his arraignment on non-fatal attacks on two other lone women in that neighborhood, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

EDWIN ALEMANY (D.O.B. 9/2/84) was arraigned in South Boston District Court on three complaints arising out of the two attacks – one Old Colony Avenue on the morning of July 23 and one on Gates Street shortly after midnight on July 24. Suffolk Chief Trial Counsel John Pappas recommended that he be held on $1 million bail on each of three complaints, which Judge Thomas C. Horgan imposed. more »


Aug 14, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 14, 2013—An Abington woman presented the court with almost $93,000 in restitution and began four months of house arrest and three years of probation last week after her conviction for knowingly allowing her husband to use her bank account to store money stolen from his sick, elderly uncle, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury on June 8 convicted MICHELLE MONTROND (D.O.B. 7/13/64) of receiving stolen property. The charge stems from the theft by her husband, ALCIDES MONTROND (D.O.B. 6/22/64), of $93,735.74 from his uncle by fraudulently transferring the entirety of the uncle’s annuities contract into Michelle Montrond’s bank account. more »


Aug 14, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 13, 2013—An alleged career criminal was ordered held on high bail at his arraignment today after Boston Police spotted him allegedly firing a handgun at a motor vehicle, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MICHAEL COKE (D.O.B. 3/25/75) of Roxbury was arraigned in Dorchester District Court on charges of assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm as a subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling.  more »


Aug 12, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 12, 2013—The state’s highest court today upheld the first-degree murder conviction of the man who killed 65-year-old Galina Kotik inside her Fenway residence, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In a decision written by Chief Justice Roderick Ireland, the Supreme Judicial Court affirmed the conviction of STEVIE WALKER (D.O.B. 2/25/63) in Kotik’s Nov. 4, 2005, homicide. A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted Walker in 2007 after evidence in a six-day trial proving that he acted with extreme atrocity or cruelty when stabbed the retired physician to death in the Massachusetts Avenue apartment to which she had recently moved. more »


Aug 9, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 9, 2013—A Winthrop teen was arraigned yesterday for allegedly beating a developmentally-disabled man so badly that the victim’s jaw was fractured, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Shortly after surrendering himself on a warrant obtained by Winthrop Police, ANTHONY B. GALLO (D.O.B. 5/14/96) was formally charged in East Boston District Court with assault and battery and causing injury while violating a person’s civil rights. more »


Aug 8, 2013

Let me start out by saying that my thoughts and prayers, and those of every member of the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, are with the two injured officers and their families.  As a city I think we should all be thankful that the officers are expected to survive their injuries.

Under Massachusetts law, the District Attorney has statutory authority to investigate all sudden and unnatural deaths in the City of Boston.  As in every case involving the fatal use of force, I have assigned a senior prosecutor from my office to lead a full and impartial investigation of this incident to determine the facts and circumstances surrounding the shooting, and to determine whether any charges are warranted.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Lee, deputy chief of the Homicide Unit, is assigned to undertake a complete review of today’s police-involved shooting.  Upon the conclusion this investigation, as I do in the case of every police involved shooting investigation, I will issue a full and detailed report of our findings to the public, and open the entire case to the media for direct examination. more »


Aug 6, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 6, 2013—A man who was shot after he took possession of a deputy sheriff’s firearm was arraigned from his hospital bed this afternoon, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

RAYMOND WALLACE (D.O.B. 5/5/77) of Marblehead was arraigned from his hospital bed in Massachusetts General Hospital this afternoon on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a public employee, and escape. more »


Aug 5, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 5, 2013—A South Boston man was sentenced to life in prison today after his conviction in the beating death of 65-year-old Barbara Tagen, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

ADAM CASSINO (D.O.B. 5/9/86) of South Boston today received the mandatory sentence for first degree murder — life in prison with no possibility of parole — for the 2011 beating death of Tagen inside her home.  more »


Aug 5, 2013

BOSTON, Aug. 5, 2013—A Brighton woman was ordered held on high bail and sent for evaluation during her arraignment today on charges that she set a building on fire, trapping two people inside, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LISA BROWN (D.O.B. 5/18/64) was arraigned in Brighton District Court on a charge of arson and two counts each of attempted murder and assault by means of a dangerous weapon.  Judge Annette Forde set bail at $250,000 and ordered Brown to undergo evaluation at Worcester State Hospital. more »