Press Releases from 2013
Sep 30, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 30, 20013—A Mattapan man was arraigned today on firearm and related charges after he allegedly dropped a handgun in front of a police officer responding to a call for a stabbing, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ALEXANDER RODRIGUEZ (D.O.B. 6/12/84) was charged in Roxbury District Court with unlawful possession of a firearm as a second or subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. Rodriguez is additionally charged as a Level I armed career criminal; he was previously convicted of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance in 2003 and has a prior gun conviction from 2005. more »


Sep 27, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2013—A Jamaica Plain woman was arraigned today on charges she walked into a Roxbury church and destroyed irreplaceable artifacts by throwing them at worshippers earlier this year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

HENRIETTA EGBUONU (D.O.B. 4/11/87) was arraigned in West Roxbury District Court on charges of malicious destruction of property over $250, assault with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a police officer, and causing injury to a church over $5,000.  Assistant District Attorney Gerry Cahill recommended that bail be set at $1,000.  Judge Kathleen Coffey released Egbuonu on her own recognizance. more »


Sep 27, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2013—A Dorchester woman already charged with drug offenses is now facing a murder charge in the fatal stabbing of 73-year-old Winston Fields inside his Washington Street apartment last month, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ANGELIEA BROWN (D.O.B. 8/15/80) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court today on one count of murder.  Judge Pamela Dashiell granted a request by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Hickman that Brown be held without bail. more »


Sep 25, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 24, 2013—A narcotics investigation that began in the towns of Acton and Boxborough led to the seizure of 830 tablets of OxyContin, 180 grams of heroin, and more than $70,000 in cash after a motor vehicle stop in Framingham and a search warrant execution in Boston, officials said today.

Acton Police Chief Francis J. Widmayer, III; Boxborough Police Chief Warren B. Ryder; Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley; Massachusetts State Police Colonel Timothy P. Alben; and Special Agent in Charge John J. Arvanitis of the New England Division of the US Drug Enforcement Administration announced the arrests last week of FRANTZ CANTAVE (D.O.B. 7/15/87) of Hyde Park and KEVIN JEAN (D.O.B. 5/6/89) of Lynn, both accused of conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws and other offenses. Both were arraigned in West Roxbury District Court on Sept. 19. more »


Sep 25, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 25, 2013—A special magistrate hearing cases affected by the crisis at a former Department of Public Health drug-testing facility has rejected a former Roxbury resident’s motion to vacate the guilty plea he entered after accepting a package full of heroin sent to him from India, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Special Judicial Magistrate Elizabeth Donovan’s decision in the case against KELLY TONGO (D.O.B. 9/29/84) is consistent with those of other municipal, superior, and federal court judges who have refused to allow defendants to withdraw the guilty pleas they made knowingly, willingly, and voluntarily in cases unaffected by the lab crisis. more »


Sep 24, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—A repeat drunk driver was arraigned yesterday on charges that he was under the influence of alcohol when he drove his car into a cement pillar on a Revere sidewalk over the weekend, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

HENRY MAZAC (D.O.B. 7/31/52) of Chelsea was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on charges of operating under the influence of alcohol as a fourth offense, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and a marked lanes violation.  Mazac’s previous convictions came after arrests in Malden in 1990, Cambridge in 1991, and East Boston in 1997. He was acquitted of that offense in the Boston Municipal Court after an earlier arrest in 1983. more »


Sep 23, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—A Swampscott man was sentenced to prison today after he was convicted of biting off part of his former business partner’s nose during a gruesome fight outside a Revere restaurant, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury last week found KENNETH MICHAUD (D.O.B. 10/8/71) guilty of mayhem and assault and battery causing serious bodily injury for the 2012 incident. Today, Assistant District Attorney Lauren Greene of the DA’s Major Felony Bureau recommended that he serve five to seven years in prison followed by three years of probation. more »


Sep 23, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—A Revere man was held on high bail today as investigators probed a possible domestic violence motive in a fire he allegedly started at his home on Page Street, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DALE PERETTI (D.O.B. 5/11/73) was arraigned today in Chelsea District Court on charges of arson of a dwelling and attempted murder. Assistant District Attorney Ursula Knight recommended that he be held on $50,000 cash bail. Judge Stephen Abany set bail at $25,000. more »


Sep 23, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—An East Boston man was held on high bail today on charges that he sexually assaulted a pre-teen girl earlier this month, and investigators are exploring a possible link to other similar offenses, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSE AVILA (D.O.B. 6/1/74) was arraigned on one count of indecent assault and battery on a child under 14 for the Sept. 8 incident on Faywood Avenue. Assistant District Attorney Ellen Lemire of the DA’s Child Protection Unit recommended that he be held on $100,000 cash bail and that Avila be confined to house arrest and wear a GPS monitoring device if he posts that amount. Judge Roberto Ronquillo, Jr., imposed $30,000, granted her recommended conditions of release, and further ordered that Avila stay away from all children under 17 except his own child. more »


Sep 23, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—State Police are investigating a fatal crash involving a motorcyclist on Storrow Drive last night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The deceased, a man in his 40s, has been tentatively identified but investigators have not yet confirmed his identity through next of kin. more »


Sep 23, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 23, 2013—A Dorchester man pleaded guilty last week to taking part in a convenience store robbery in which his joint-venturer allegedly shot 71-year-old Geraldo Serrano dead, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MARTIN FREELES (D.O.B. 1/21/93) pleaded guilty Thursday to charges of manslaughter, armed robbery, armed robbery while masked, and unlawful possession of a firearm, admitting that he took part in a series of armed robberies, including the one on Feb. 21, 2010, in which ONYX WHITE (D.O.B. 10/6/93) allegedly shot Serrano to death, killing him. White is charged with first-degree murder. more »


Sep 20, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 20, 2013—A Winthrop woman will serve two and a half years behind bars for driving drunk and crashing into another vehicle, critically injuring the two Revere men inside, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

AMANDA BIZEUR (D.O.B. 3/21/81) today pleaded guilty to two counts of operating under the influence causing serious bodily injury for causing the crash on Feb. 5, 2012, just before midnight. more »


Sep 20, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 20, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes today announced criminal charges and an active investigation arising out of an alleged sexual assault on a child at a Chelsea youth center this summer.

VRIKY SANTOS (D.O.B. 8/2/91) of Chelsea is charged with aggravated rape for allegedly sexually assaulting a pre-teen boy at Explorer Post 109, located within the Chelsea Community Fitness Center on Shurtleff Street in mid-July. Santos was a volunteer advisor at the post. more »


Sep 19, 2013

Couple’s Son, Previously Uncharged, now Indicted for Larceny in Alleged $10M Scheme

BOSTON, Sept. 19, 2013—The Suffolk County Grand Jury yesterday returned new indictments charging a West Roxbury man, his wife, their son, and the corporate entity of which they were the sole employees with larceny for allegedly pilfering upward of $10 million from dozens of victims, including seven over the age of 60, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Sep 18, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 18, 2013—A Quincy man caught with a stolen handgun declared his love for the disgraced former chemist he credited for his early release from prison as he and a companion were arrested over the weekend, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

SHAKI MUHAMMED (D.O.B.  5/12/86) of Norwood and JAMELL T. SPURILL (D.O.B. 7/28/82) of Quincy were arrested Sunday and in Roxbury and arraigned Monday in Roxbury District Court. more »


Sep 18, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 18, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and State Police Colonel Timothy Alben said today that an 18-year-old West Roxbury driver will face charges in connection with a crash on the Arborway earlier this month that left him and five others injured, two of them critically.

Authorities will seek a complaint charging NIKOLAS PAPADOPOULOS (D.O.B. 4/8/95) with the criminal offense of negligent operation of a motor vehicle and civil offenses of speeding, failing to ensure that two passengers under 16 were wearing seat belts, and unsafely crossing the road’s lane markings, all in connection with the crash at about 2:00 on Sept. 6. more »


Sep 17, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 17, 2013—A Swampscott man was found guilty yesterday of attacking his former business partner and biting off part of the man’s nose after a business meeting, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted KENNETH MICHAUD (D.O.B. 10/8/71) of mayhem and assault and battery causing serious bodily injury in connection with the May 2, 2012, attack. Jurors acquitted Michaud of an additional charge of assault with intent to murder. more »


Sep 17, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 17, 2013—State Police are investigating the drowning of a 53-year-old Somerville woman in the waters off Piers Park in East Boston early this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The preliminary investigation suggests that the woman, who had been living for the summer with her husband on their boat, fell into the water at some point early this morning after the two spent a night out together. Her husband went into the water to rescue her, performed CPR unsuccessfully, and called 911. An external examination of the woman’s body did not reveal signs of physical trauma, but an autopsy is expected to reveal the cause and manner of her death. more »


Sep 13, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 12, 2013—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following legislative testimony on H.3250, An Act to Combat Gun Violence, at the Massachusetts State House: more »


Sep 12, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 12, 2013—Five men were arraigned earlier this week after a Boston Police officer responded to one robbery and spotted them allegedly tossing the proceeds from another, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

HASSAN HUSSEIN (D.O.B. 1/1/88) of Cambridge, YAYHE ISSACK (D.O.B. 1/1/86) of Hyde Park, ABDULLAHI JAMA (D.O.B. 1/1/95) of Roxbury, AHMED JAMA (D.O.B. 5/24/92) of Roxbury, and ADNAN TAHLIL (D.O.B. 4/5/94) of Roxbury were each arraigned Monday in Boston Municipal Court on two dockets – one charging the defendants with unarmed robbery of one victim, the other charging them with receiving stolen property for items stolen from a second victim. more »


Sep 10, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 10, 2013—Cooperation among Boston Police, Chelsea Police and probation officers led to the rapid identification of a suspect in a Sept. 2 robbery in East Boston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DARRYL McCLURE (D.O.B. 8/16/69) of Chelsea was arraigned yesterday in the East Boston Division of the Boston Municipal Court on one count of armed robbery. Assistant District Attorney Janine D’Amico recommended that he be held on $10,000 cash bail and that his open bail in several pending drug cases be revoked. Judge Kenneth Fiandaca granted both requests. more »


Sep 10, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 9, 2013—A Mattapan man was arraigned today on charges he set fire to his ex-girlfriend’s home early Saturday morning, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TROY POINDEXTER (D.O.B. 2/8/78) was arraigned in Dorchester District Court on charges of unarmed burglary and arson of a dwelling.  Assistant District Attorney Adam Dumville recommended that he be held on $100,000 cash bail and, if the defendant posts that amount, an order that the defendant stay away from the victim and her residence and wear a GPS tracking device. Judge James Coffey set bail at $30,000 and imposed the recommended conditions. more »


Sep 10, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 9, 2013—Two men are charged with drug offenses after agreeing to sell the drug known as “Molly” to an undercover Boston Police officer, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DANIEL MILISI (D.O.B. 9/26/83) of South Boston and JOSEPH P. DOOLIN (D.O.B. 3/9/77) of Quincy are both charged with possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws. Milisi allegedly possessed the MDMA at the time of his arrest, while Doolin allegedly drove him to consummate the pre-arranged drug deal. Doolin is additionaly charged with a second count of possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute for illicit prescription drugs on his person. more »


Sep 6, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 6, 2013—A Dorchester woman has been charged with motor vehicle homicide and other offenses in connection with the death last night of 63-year-old Vielisha Pullum, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CHRISTINA MARTINEZ (D.O.B. 7/25/92) was arraigned today in Roxbury District Court on charges of motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident causing death, and operating a motor vehicle in violation of a license restriction for driving without wearing her prescription glasses. more »


Sep 5, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 5, 2013—A Chelsea man arrested for drug offenses last week was also charged with assaulting a court officer and other offenses after he flew into a violent rage while awaiting arraignment, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

THOMAS BENT (D.O.B. 7/13/79) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on charges of distribution of a Class C drug, possession with intent to distribute a Class C drug, possession of a Class B drug, and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws, all in connection with his Aug. 27 arrest at the Haymarket MBTA station. more »


Sep 5, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 5, 2013—Steven Jones was shot dead at the age of 21 after he stepped in to stop a fistfight, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.

Jones’ alleged killer, PABLO FLORES, Jr. (D.O.B. 2/17/93), of Charlestown, was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of second-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and multiple counts of assault with a dangerous weapon. more »


Sep 5, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 5, 2013—A Dorchester man already held on high bail in an open gun case and held without bail for allegedly violating probation on an earlier conviction was arraigned on a slew of charges yesterday after being identified as the assailant who opened fire on a group of people after being asked to leave a party, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOHN LEWIS (D.O.B. 11/7/92) was arraigned yesterday in Roxbury District Court on 16 counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count each of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building.  Assistant District Attorney Thomas Costello requested bail be set at $150,000.  Judge David B. Poole set bail at $100,000 and, if that amount is posted, ordered Lewis to wear a GPS monitor, abide by a curfew, stay away and have no contact with victims or witnesses, and to stay away from the area of Roxbury in which the incident occurred.  more »


Sep 4, 2013

BOSTON, Sept. 4, 2013—A West Roxbury man indicted earlier this year for allegedly running a multi-million dollar Ponzi scheme was arraigned today on new charges for allegedly demanding an illegal 40% interest rate on a loan his company made to a businesswoman, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

STEVEN PALLADINO (D.O.B. 9/11/57) was arraigned in West Roxbury District Court on one count of usury – commonly referred to as loan sharking – for allegedly contacting the Franklin woman repeatedly by voice mail and text message to seek a $30,000 payment on a $25,000 loan the woman received in February. That rate on a 6-month-old loan equals a 40% annual percentage rate – double the maximum allowed under Massachusetts law, prosecutors said. more »