Press Releases from 2014
Jan 31, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 31, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week delivered more than $10,000 in seized drug money to Boston non-profit groups that help the city’s youth stay away from drugs, gangs, and risky behavior.

As part of his annual Asset Forfeiture Community Reinvestment Program, Conley visited Project RIGHT in Dorchester, the Laboure Center in South Boston, and the Hull Lifesaving Museum in South Boston on Monday, presenting youth workers with a total of $11,500 in cash grants representing assets seized during Suffolk County narcotics trafficking prosecutions. more »


Jan 31, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 30, 2014—The Massachusetts Appeals Court last week reversed a lower court judge’s decision suppressing a loaded handgun from evidence, meaning a jury will see the high-capacity firearm and ammunition seized from a previously-convicted gun defendant during a car stop in Mattapan, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The Jan. 21 decision in the case against YVES FONTAINE (D.O.B. 6/10/74) comes after Suffolk prosecutors appealed a Boston Municipal Court judge’s finding that a 2010 search warrant obtained by Boston Police for Fontaine’s car was not supported by probable cause. more »


Jan 30, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 30, 2014—A third defendant has been held without bail in the shooting death last month of Romeo McCubbin, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

JAVAINE WATSON (D.O.B. 10/11/90) of Dorchester was arraigned on a murder charge this afternoon in Dorchester Municipal Court following his arrest this morning by Boston Police homicide detectives. Assistant District Attorney Ian Polumbaum recommended that he be held without bail; Judge James Coffey granted that request. more »


Jan 30, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 30, 2014—The Suffolk County Grand Jury late yesterday returned a mammoth set of indictments against nearly three dozen members of a highly organized drug trafficking network, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

The 189-count indictment charges 33 men and women targeted during Operation Limehouse, a wiretap-based investigation that began in the summer of 2012 and culminated in more than 20 arrests late last year; about a dozen additional defendants were identified during the course of the grand jury investigation. The indictments move the various cases from municipal courts across Suffolk County to Suffolk Superior Court, where they will be adjudicated. more »


Jan 29, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 29, 2014—Shawn Flores’ mother embraced the father of the man who killed her son at an emotionally-charged sentencing hearing in Suffolk Superior Court today, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Flores, 29, was shot dead on Sept. 22, 2011, by KENDRICK CLARK (D.O.B. 3/19/74) on the porch of their Dorchester rooming house. No one saw the shooting, but Flores identified his killer in a dying declaration to residents who came running and relayed his last words to Boston Police homicide detectives. After a week-long trial, jurors convicted Clark of second-degree murder yesterday. more »


Jan 28, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 28, 2014— Three family members were indicted today for first-degree murder in the fatal beating and stabbing of 29-year-old Edwin Santos in South Boston, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.

A Suffolk County grand jury returned the indictments charging ANGEL SANCHEZ (D.O.B. 5/15/97); his father, ELIAS SANCHEZ (D.O.B. 1/12/70); and Elias’ brother, GABRIEL SANCHEZ (DOB 1/31/81), with first-degree murder for the fatal Nov. 17 attack.  The three men are expected to be arraigned on the indictments tomorrow morning in Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Jan 28, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 28, 2014—Two teenagers, one a 15-year-old from Dorchester and one a 17-year-old from Roxbury, were held on high bail today for allegedly opening fire on a third youth, age 18, at the Bromley Heath housing development yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Assistant District Attorney Adam Foss of the DA’s Juvenile Unit arraigned the two defendants in the Boston Juvenile Court. Both are charged with delinquency, to wit armed assault with intent to murder and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling; the younger of the two, who was arrested with a handgun, was additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. more »


Jan 28, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 28, 2014—A Dorchester man was convicted of second-degree murder today for shooting 29-year-old Shawn Flores to death before fleeing to North Carolina, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

KENDRICK CLARK (D.O.B. 3/19/74) faces a mandatory life term when he is sentenced tomorrow morning. more »


Jan 27, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 27, 2014—A repeat drug dealer was held on high bail at his arraignment today on charges that he possessed a firearm during an early-morning argument with a former romantic partner on Saturday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JEFF ANILUS (D.O.B. 4/19/80) of Dorchester was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, assault and battery, and drinking in public. Because of prior convictions for assault and battery on a public employee, carrying a dangerous weapon, and possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute, he was additionally charged as a Level III armed career criminal. more »


Jan 27, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 27, 2014—A Dorchester man was arraigned today after Boston Police acting on a tip discovered a loaded firearm in his car during a traffic stop, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CHRISTIAN ISAAC (D.O.B. 8/19/85) was arraigned in Roxbury District Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance, and failure to stop for police.  He was additionally charged as a Level I armed career criminal based on a 2006 conviction for distribution of a Class B substance. more »


Jan 24, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 24, 2014—A Quincy man was arraigned today on charges he committed a lewd act onboard a Red Line train earlier this week, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Jan 24, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 24, 2014—The man who robbed and raped a Beacon Hill woman after his release from prison on an earlier sexual assault could die behind bars, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

Scheduled for trial Monday on charges of aggravated rape, kidnapping, armed robbery, armed burglary, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, ANTHONY G. WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 4/2/67) pleaded guilty to all counts this afternoon in Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Jan 23, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2014—The man who allegedly made off with $2 after pushing a woman to the ground during a robbery was ordered held on high bail at his arraignment today, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Jan 23, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2014—Two Springfield residents have been charged in a scam in which family members are contacted by phone and told that a loved one is being held for ransom, prompting Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley to warn the public about similar schemes.

Revere Police detectives on Jan. 16 arrested JOSE O. CARRASQUILLO (D.O.B. 5/1/81) and JENNIFER RODRIGUEZ (D.O.B. 8/1/83) on warrants charging extortion by threat of bodily injury. They were arraigned the next day in Chelsea District Court, where Suffolk prosecutors recommended that they be held on $10,000 cash bail each. Judge D. Dunbar Livingston imposed $5,000 each. Both are expected back in court next month. more »


Jan 21, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 21, 2014—Three members of a West Roxbury family today pleaded guilty to orchestrating a Ponzi scheme that funneled more than $10 million from their victims that was used to fund a lavish lifestyle, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

STEVEN PALLADINO (D.O.B. 9/11/57), his wife LORI PALLADINO (D.O.B. 2/17/61), the couple’s son GREGORY PALLADINO (D.O.B. 3/7/85), and the investment firm they operated – VIKING FINANCIAL GROUP – admitted guilt during an appearance before Judge Janet Sanders in Suffolk Superior Court today.  Steven and pleaded guilty to one count each of larceny over $250, larceny over $250 from a person over 60, conspiracy to commit larceny, and tampering with evidence; two counts of uttering a false; three counts of making false check, making a false entry in corporate books; and four counts of usury.  Lori Palladino pleaded guilty to one count each of larceny over $250, larceny over $250 from a person over 60, and conspiracy to commit larceny; two counts of uttering a false; three counts of making false check, making a false entry in corporate books; and three counts of usury.  Gregory Palladino pleaded guilty to one count each of larceny over $250, larceny over $250 from a person over 60, conspiracy to commit larceny, and tampering with evidence; and three counts of usury.  The corporate entity also entered guilty pleas on one count each of larceny over $250, larceny over $250 and from a person over 60, and tampering with evidence; two counts of uttering; and three counts of usury. more »


Jan 17, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 17, 2014—A Woburn man was ordered held today for allegedly carjacking a woman in Boston’s South End yesterday, violating the terms of his bail on an open larceny case, Suffolk county District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOEL CARTAGENA (D.O.B. 12/3/77) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court on charges of carjacking, kidnapping, assault and battery, leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, leaving the scene of an accident causing property damage, reckless operation of a motor vehicle, unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, and receiving stolen property. The latter charge stems from credit cards in Cartagena’s possession that had earlier been stolen from an additional victim. more »


Jan 16, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 16, 2014—A Roxbury man arrested near the scene of a fatal shooting was held on high bail at his arraignment today, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

CEDRICK SLAYDEN (DOB 12/11/95) was arraigned this morning in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Michael Callahan, Judge James Coffey set bail in the amount of $50,000 and ordered Slayden to wear a GPS monitoring device, abide by a curfew, and stay away from Mattapan in the event that he is released on bail.  Coffey also granted Callahan’s motion to revoke Slayden’s open bail on a 2013 case out of Boston Municipal Court charging him with larceny from a person. more »


Jan 14, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 14, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week delivered thousands of dollars in seized drug money to a Revere non-profit that works to keep kids and teens away from drugs, gangs, and risky behavior.

As part of his office’s annual Asset Forfeiture Community Reinvestment Program, Conley yesterday presented a check for $3,000 to Community Action Programs Inter-City to fund sporting goods, uniforms, and travel expenses for the Police Activities League basketball team. The team draws players receiving services through CAPIC, which addresses the needs of families in poverty to help them achieve and maintain self-sufficiency. more »


Jan 14, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 14, 2013—The man accused of killing 19-year-old store clerk Joseph Morante allegedly pointed his handgun at the Revere teen’s head even as the mortally wounded youth ran for help, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ELOSKO BROWN (D.O.B. 2/23/86) was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on indictments charging first-degree murder, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm  in connection with Morante’s July 31 shooting death.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Edmond Zabin, chief of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson ordered that Brown be held without bail. more »


Jan 14, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 14, 2013—Jury selection is under way in a Mattapan man’s trial for the fatal 2011 shooting of Shawn Flores in Dorchester.

KENDRICK CLARK (D.O.B. 3/19/74) of Dorchester is charged with first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. Prosecutors allege that he shot Flores, 29, to death near the intersection of Blue Hill Avenue and Abbott Street at about 9:20 p.m. on Sept. 22, 2011. Clark was apprehended in a Raleigh, North Carolina, motel room on Oct. 31 of that year. more »


Jan 13, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 13, 2014—Two alleged career criminals – one an accused fugitive from Maine – were arraigned today after Boston Police arrested the duo with a loaded firearm, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

THOMAS MCNAIR III (D.O.B. 8/31/88) and DOUGLAS WALKER (D.O.B. 8/20/84) of Roslindale were arraigned in Roxbury District Court on charges stemming from their arrest late yesterday.  more »


Jan 13, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 13, 2014—The man who allegedly gunned down 19-year-old Joseph Morante Jr. during an armed robbery will be arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court tomorrow following his indictment for first-degree murder and related offenses, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.

The Suffolk County Grand Jury on Jan. 6 returned indictments charging ELOSKO BROWN (D.O.B. 2/23/86) of Brockton with first-degree murder, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm.  Brown was previously arraigned on these charges in Roxbury District Court.  The indictment moves the case from the district court to Suffolk Superior Court, where it will be adjudicated.  more »


Jan 10, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 10, 2014—A Mattapan man was held without bail today in the fatal stabbing of a 19-year-old male on Margaretta Drive yesterday evening, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

WILLIAM EARL (D.O.B. 8/9/93) was arraigned on one count of murder for the slaying. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Tara Burdman, West Roxbury Municipal Court Judge Ernest Sarason ordered Earl held without bail. more »


Jan 9, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 9, 2014—A Mattapan man today admitted to killing a relative during a fight on Blue Hill Avenue a year and a half ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DERRICK BULLOCK (D.O.B. 8/13/71) pleaded guilty to the crime of manslaughter for stabbing his nephew, 43-year-old Curtis Cox, on July 31, 2012, causing injuries that claimed Cox’s life at Boston Medical Center the next day. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Dana Pierce, Judge Christine McEvoy sentenced Bullock to 12 years in state prison. more »


Jan 8, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2014—The Dorchester man accused of striking a disabled man with his own cane was arraigned today after a member of the public helped Transit Police identify him as the assailant, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MIGUEL VELASQUEZ-MENDOZA (D.O.B. 5/30/93) was arraigned in South Boston District Court on charges of unarmed robbery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery on a disabled person.  Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Burke requested that bail be set at $10,000 and that Velasquez-Mendoza’s bail be revoked in an open case out of Concord District Court charging him with larceny over $250.  Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons imposed $1,500 bail and ordered that he undergo mental health evaluation and any treatment deemed necessary, stay away from South Boston, remain drug-free, and undergo random drug screens.  Lyons declined to revoke the defendant’s open bail. more »


Jan 8, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2014—Two Dorchester men arraigned today on charges they robbed a Roxbury market of cash and cigarettes while carrying replica firearms the victim believed to be real, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LIQUARRY JEFFERSON (D.O.B. 2/8/80) and JAMES THORNTON (D.O.B. 3/6/73) were arraigned in Roxbury District Court for the Tuesday evening incident.  Jefferson is charged with armed robbery while masked, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, failure to stop for police, and operating with a suspended license.  He was additionally cited for possessing less than an ounce of marijuana.  Thornton is charged with armed robbery while masked and resisting arrest. more »


Jan 8, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2014—The state’s highest court upheld a Charlestown man’s conviction for first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Mark Parilla on Monument Street six years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The unanimous decision of the Supreme Judicial Court ensures that CARLOS MALDONADO (D.O.B. 2/23/82) will continue to serve his life sentence for shooting Parilla dead after a fight in the Bunker Hill housing development on Dec. 26, 2006. more »


Jan 8, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following statement on Mayor Martin Walsh’s appointment of William Evans to the position of Boston Police Commissioner:

“I commend Mayor Walsh for his decision to name William Evans as Boston’s police commissioner.  He’s an excellent choice and represents the very best of a department that respects his experience and leadership.  As a prosecutor, I’ve seen his commitment to careful, thorough investigations that continue well after an arrest is made.  But even more than this, he’s earned the trust and partnership of countless people outside the law enforcement community.  I look forward to working closely with him in the weeks and months to come.” more »


Jan 6, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 6, 2014—An East Woburn woman was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court today on a three-count indictment charging her with breaking a bar glass on another woman’s face, causing injuries that may claim the victim’s left eye, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JESSICA LUCIA (D.O.B. 11/20/80) was arraigned today on charges of mayhem, assault with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery on a public employee for the Sept. 30 incident. Lucia was previously charged in the Boston Municipal Court for the attack on the 27-year-old victim near the intersection of Tremont and Bosworth streets. Prosecutors recommended $5,000 bail at her arraignment there, and a district court judge imposed $1,000 cash bail; Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson kept that amount in place at today’s proceedings. more »


Jan 3, 2014

BOSTON, Jan. 3, 2014—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today upheld the murder convictions of a South Boston woman who killed two young girls when she set their mother’s house on fire in the middle of the night, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The decision by Justices Peter Agnes, Jr., Judd Carhart, and Ariane Vuono affirms the convictions of NICOLE CHUMINSKI (D.O.B. 5/19/82) on two counts of second-degree murder for the April 6, 2008, homicides of 14-year-old Acia Johnson and her 2-year-old sister, Sophia, in their West 6th Street home. After 10 days of testimony elicited by Suffolk prosecutors, a jury convicted Chuminski of those offenses, as well as one count of arson for setting the blaze and two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon – smoke and flames – for injuries sustained by the girls’ mother and brother, who survived. more »