Press Releases from 2014
Feb 28, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 28, 2014—A Dorchester man faces a life sentence for intentionally driving his car into 20-year-old James A. Taylor two years ago, killing him and fleeing the scene, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted ANTWAN WATHEY (D.O.B. 9/24/87) of second-degree murder for the April 13, 2012, incident in the area of Talbot Avenue and Westcott Street. more »


Feb 28, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 28, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week delivered thousands of dollars in seized drug money to two Boston non-profit groups that help the city’s Latino youth stay away from drugs, gangs, and risky behavior.

As part of his annual Asset Forfeiture Community Reinvestment Program, Conley on Tuesday visited Sociedad Latina in Roxbury and Casa Nueva Vida in Jamaica Plain to present youth workers with a total of $8,000 in cash awards representing assets seized during Suffolk County narcotics trafficking prosecutions. Conley has delivered similar awards to about half a dozen non-profits so far this year, funding safe, healthy activities for kids and teens from all walks of life. more »


Feb 27, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 27, 2014—A Mattapan man who allegedly used Facebook to arrange a robbery was arrested after the victim’s younger brother set up a sting operation with Boston Police, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JORDAN SEARCY (D.O.B. 12/12/95) was arraigned Tuesday in Dorchester District Court on charges of armed robbery, assault with a dangerous weapon, and conspiracy.  Assistant District Attorney Amanda Cascione requested bail of $2,000 and that Searcy wear a GPS monitor, abide by a curfew, stay away and have no contact with the victims, and stay away from the location of the incident in the event he is released on bail.  Judge Jonathan Tynes set bail in the amount of $1,000 and imposed the requested conditions of release. more »


Feb 26, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 26, 2014—Aaron Wornum’s killer will serve the rest of his life behind bars for the 25-year-old’s murder in Dorchester three years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury late yesterday convicted ANTHONY ROBERTSON (D.O.B. 5/19/91) of first-degree murder, armed robbery, and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with Wornum’s fatal shooting near the corner of Sumner and East Cottage streets on the night of June 26, 2011. more »


Feb 26, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 26, 2014—A Russian national was arrested today on child pornography charges after his arrest last year outside the home of a U.S. dignitary led to a search of his laptop computer, local and federal officials said today.

Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, Special Agent in Charge David Hall of the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security’s Boston Field Office, and Boston Police Commissioner William Evans announced that Boston Police in the company of Diplomatic Security Service agents this morning arrested VLADIMIR ROMANOV (D.O.B. 12/28/83) on a warrant stemming from his Feb. 21 indictment on six counts of possession of child pornography.  He is expected to be arraigned later this morning in the Magistrate’s Session of Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Feb 25, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 25, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley today joined anti-violence activists, city leaders, and law enforcement officials to announce an advertising campaign on the MBTA that’s geared toward reducing access to illegal firearms.

Conley spoke at Ruggles station with Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh and City Councilor Ayanna Pressley, Boston Police Commissioner William Evans, Transit Police Chief Paul MacMillan, the mothers of homicide victims Warren “Danny” Hairston and Steven Odom, and others in support of Operation LIPSTICK – Ladies Involved in Putting a Stop to Inner-City Killing. Before a crowd of commuters and flanked by placards showing the new advertisements, he delivered the following remarks: more »


Feb 24, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 24, 2014—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today found that Boston Police were justified in conducting a pat frisk of a Mattapan man, reversing a lower court’s decision and allowing a recovered firearm to be used as evidence in the case, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In the unpublished decision today, the Appeals Court ruled that a Boston Municipal Court judge erred in allowing a motion to suppress evidence and statements made by defendant KASHAWN STEPHEN (D.O.B. 2/1/91) after his 2010 arrest.  more »


Feb 21, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 21, 2014— A Winthrop man accused of holding up a Dunkin Donuts assisted police in their investigation by leaving his cell phone behind as he fled the scene, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DENNIS STACK (D.O.B. 12/16/72) was arraigned Tuesday in Charlestown District Court on a charge of armed robbery in connection with the incident late last year.  Judge Robert McKenna granted a request by Assistant District Attorney Ian Leson that bail be set in the amount of $15,000. more »


Feb 21, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 21, 2014—The Mattapan man charged in last month’s stabbing death of 19-year-old Samuel Constant has been indicted for first-degree murder and will remain held without bail pending trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

WILLIAM EARL (D.O.B. 8/9/93) was arraigned yesterday on a charge of first-degree murder in connection with the Jan. 9 fatal stabbing in West Roxbury.  Constant’s murder marked Boston’s first homicide of 2014. more »


Feb 20, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 20, 2014—Kids and teens across Boston and Suffolk County came together with prosecutors, victim advocates, and police officers who serve their communities today at District Attorney Dan Conley’s sixth annual Basketball for Peace tournament in Dorchester.

“So many disputes start over minor differences,” Conley said to about 100 youngsters from community youth groups based in Boston and Revere. “Fights break out over what neighborhood someone’s from or who their friends are. But events like this show us that we’re much more alike than different. And after today, if you see a stranger on the bus or the train, maybe you’ll recognize him as someone from your team. Maybe he passed you the ball. Maybe he helped you up when you fell. Or maybe he even blocked your shot. But you’ve got something in common with him that you didn’t have before. That makes both your worlds a little bigger and a little friendlier.” more »


Feb 19, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 19, 2014—Less than two weeks after winning the state’s first human trafficking convictions, Suffolk prosecutors arraigned another man for exploiting a young teen through prostitution, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TYRONE BATTLE (D.O.B. 9/19/80) of Mattapan was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court today on charges of aggravated rape and trafficking a person for sexual servitude. Both offenses carry up to life in prison on conviction; the latter carries a minimum of five years in prison. more »


Feb 19, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 19, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s annual community basketball tournament returns to the parquet in Dorchester tomorrow, bringing kids and teens from across the area together with the prosecutors and victim advocates who serve their neighborhoods.

The DA’s sixth annual Basketball for Peace tournament kicks off tomorrow at the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Dorchester, where more than 100 youngsters aged 12 through 15 will spend the day engaged in safe, healthy, physical activity. On hand will be Suffolk prosecutors, members of the DA’s Victim Witness Assistance Program, civilian investigators, and others. Also joining in will be social service providers, non-profit groups, and a contingent of Boston Police led by Superintendent-in-Chief William Gross. more »


Feb 18, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 18, 2014— Two men were arraigned in Roxbury Municipal Court on gun charges today after the police response to a double shooting turned up the alleged gunman and another individual allegedly packing a second unlicensed firearm, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TERRELL HARRIS (D.O.B. 8/25/94) was arraigned on two counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and a single count each of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building. Assistant District Attorney Thomas Costello recommended that he be held on $500,000 cash bail, that he be ordered to stay away from the victims, and that he wear a GPS tracking device if he posts bail. Judge David Weingarten imposed $50,000 bail and the requested conditions of release. more »


Feb 18, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 18, 2014—The man stabbed to death in Chelsea on Sunday his been identified as 33-year-old Francisco Dominguez, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian A. Kyes said today.

At about 1:00 on Sunday morning, Chelsea Police responded to the area of 115 Washington St. at for a report of a possible stabbing. Officers found Dominguez suffering from a life-threatening injury for which he was being treated by emergency medical technicians. Dominguez was rushed to Whidden Memorial Hospital but died of his injuries. more »


Feb 18, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 18, 2014—The state’s highest court today vacated a judge’s order that would have kept a jury from hearing key evidence in the trial of Julaine Jules’ alleged murderer, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The Supreme Judicial Court vacated an order by Superior Court Judge Janet Sanders suppressing cell site location information from evidence in the case against SHABAZZ AUGUSTINE (D.O.B. 2/19/79), Jules’ one-time romantic partner, and remanded it for a hearing. A date for that hearing has not yet been set. more »


Feb 14, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 14, 2014—The suspect in a Roxbury home invasion was held on a quarter-million dollars’ cash bail yesterday at his arraignment on charges that might not have issued without commercial and law enforcement use of GPS technology, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ROBERT HECKSTALL (D.O.B. 3/18/83) was arraigned yesterday on two counts each of armed assault in a dwelling, armed and masked robbery, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and kidnapping for the incident two weeks on Maple Street. Assistant District Attorney Thomas Costello recommended that he be held on $1 million cash bail; Roxbury Municipal Court Judge Pamela Dashiell imposed $250,000. At prosecutors’ request, she also ordered that the names and personal information of the victims be subject to a protective order. more »


Feb 13, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2014—An Everett man on probation for breaking and entering and other offenses was arraigned today after he was arrested with a backpack full of stolen property, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

LELAND BUTLER (D.O.B. 2/7/79) was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on charges of receiving stolen property over $250, trespassing, and disorderly conduct as a subsequent offense.  Assistant District Attorney Christopher Henry recommended that bail be set in the amount of $5,000 and that Barnes be ordered to wear a GPS monitoring device in the event he is release on bail.  Judge Benjamin Barnes imposed $500 bail and declined to impose the requested condition of release. more »


Feb 12, 2014

Victims Were Boy, 14, and Convenience Store Clerk

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2014—The state’s highest court today affirmed the first-degree murder convictions of the man who gunned down 14-year-old DaKeem Galloway in 2004 as well as the man who shot and killed Getasetegn Yalew during a 1997 convenience store robbery, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Feb 12, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2014—Suffolk prosecutors this week obtained high bails at the arraignments for four repeat offenders, three of whom have previously been convicted of gun charges, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

Three defendants were arrested in separate incidents within hours of one another Friday and were arraigned yesterday in Dorchester and Roxbury District Courts. A fourth was arrested last night and arraigned today. more »


Feb 12, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2014—A would-be burglar arrested wearing a sleep mask is charged with breaking and entering and other offenses for allegedly breaking into a dollar store to steal candies, cell phones, and mustache trimmers, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

DAVID WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 10/5/63), who lists a Boston homeless shelter as his address, was arraigned Friday on charges of breaking and entering a building during the night with intent to commit a felony, larceny over $250, and malicious destruction of property over $250. more »


Feb 10, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2014—Two Roxbury men were sentenced today to lengthy prison terms after their convictions last week under the state’s human trafficking statute, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TYSHAUN McGHEE (D.O.B. 10/10/80) and SIDNEY McGEE (D.O.B. 2/11/84) were convicted Feb. 6 of three counts each of trafficking a person for sexual servitude. Tyshaun McGhee was also convicted of two counts of deriving support from prostitution. The defendants are believed to be the first offenders convicted under Massachusetts’ human trafficking statute. more »


Feb 7, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 7. 2014—A 14-year-old boy has been charged in the shooting death of his 9-year-old brother this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The youth, whose name is not being released because of his age, will be arraigned next week on charges of delinquency, to wit: involuntary manslaughter and unlawful possession of a firearm. The investigation into the shooting this morning in their Mattapan home remains under investigation by the homicide units of the Boston Police Department and Suffolk DA’s office. more »


Feb 7, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 7, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the convictions of two Roxbury men for exploiting women under the state’s human trafficking laws, passed just months before the victims were recruited into sexual activity from which the defendants profited.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury late yesterday convicted TYSHAUN McGHEE (D.O.B. 10/10/80) and SIDNEY McGEE (D.O.B. 2/11/84) of three counts each of trafficking a person for sexual servitude. Tyshaun McGhee was further convicted of two counts of deriving support from prostitution. Both men were acquitted of additional counts of aggravated rape. more »


Feb 5, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 5, 2014—A homeless man with a long and violent record was arraigned last week for his third failure to register as a Level III sex offender, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CHARLES LEE BUFFORD (D.O.B. 2/18/55) was arrested Jan. 25 at the Pine Street Inn by Boston Police and US Marshals who took him into custody for failure to register as a sex offender as a subsequent offense. At arraignment on Jan. 27, Assistant District Attorney Matthew Fitzgerald recommended that Bufford be held on $1500 cash bail and that his open bail be revoked in an open case charging assault with a dangerous weapon. Boston Municipal Court Judge Michael Coyne released him on his own recognizance and declined to revoke his open bail. more »


Feb 4, 2014

BOSTON, Feb. 3, 2014—The Dorchester man who gunned down 25-year-old Jason Withers inside a Grove Hall convenience store was sentenced today to life in prison, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Feb 4, 2014

One Defendant Allegedly “Bargained” Officers Down to $45

BOSTON, Feb. 4, 2014—Seven Boston men and another 11 from the suburbs have been charged with seeking sex for a fee from Boston Police detectives in an online prostitution sting, including a Boston College student who thought he bargained a woman down to $45 and several who hoped to pay with prescription and illicit drugs, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »