BOSTON, March 31, 2014—More than 200 participants raised more than $55,000 for abused, neglected, and exploited kids this weekend by climbing the stairs of Boston’s tallest building, Suffolk County District Attorney Dan Conley said.
A total of 220 entrants blew far past their goal of raising $40,000 in pledges to support the Children’s Advocacy Center of Suffolk County at The Ginormous Climb, a vertical charity run up the 61-flight stairwell of the John Hancock Tower. more »
BOSTON, March 27, 2014—A woman raped by a former New Jersey resident declared that she was a survivor, not a victim, moments before he was sentenced to more than a decade behind bars, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
At the request of Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent, the DA’s chief sexual assault prosecutor, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frances McIntyre sentenced WILLIAM E. SALINAS (D.O.B. 3/16/90) to a term of 12 to 16 years in state prison, followed by 10 years of probation. As conditions of that probation, Salinas must register and undergo treatment as a sex offender, wear a GPS monitoring device, and have no contact with the victim. more »
In Second Case, Lynn Man Convicted of Role in Fatal Drug-Related Robbery
BOSTON, March 25, 2014—A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a Dorchester youth of a double shooting that nearly killed one man, but acquitted the youth of murdering an immigrant laborer with the same gun two weeks earlier. more »
BOSTON, March 25, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week delivered thousands of dollars seized from drug traffickers to a Jamaica Plain organization dedicated to reducing gun violence in Boston.
As part of his annual Asset Forfeiture Community Reinvestment Program, Conley visited Citizens for Safety to present staff members with a check for $5,000 earmarked for the program known as Operation LIPSTICK – Ladies Involved in Putting a Stop to Inner-City Killing – which educates girls and young women about the dangers of carrying or holding illegal firearms for boyfriends or family members. more »
BOSTON, March 25, 2014—A Quincy attorney today pleaded guilty to charges he attempted to sneak drugs to another person at Chelsea District Court last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
MICHAEL LUSTIG (D.O.B. 7/13/68) today pleaded guilty in Chelsea District Court to possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance. Judge Michael Nestor sentenced Lustig to a probationary term of 18 months, during which time he must undergo treatment for drug and alcohol abuse, submit to random drug and alcohol testing, and continue to receive counseling. more »
BOSTON, March 24, 2014— A Mattapan man was arraigned yesterday for robbing a stranger at knifepoint after allegedly demanding the victim help him find a prostitute, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JEAN-MARIE EL-SAIEH (D.O.B. 5/26/61) was arraigned yesterday in Dorchester District Court on a charge of armed robbery. Judge James Coffey ordered El-Saieh to undergo evaluation at Bridgewater State Hospital. Prosecutors reserved the right to argue for bail during his next court appearance. more »
BOSTON, March 24, 2014— A Roxbury man received a lengthy prison sentence today after a jury convicted him of robbing an Allston convenience store while on probation for a similar offense, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury this afternoon found DOUGLAS SAVORY (D.O.B. 4/19/56) guilty of armed robbery and assault with a dangerous weapon for the robbery of a Franklin Street market last year. more »
BOSTON, March 24, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and about 200 volunteers are preparing to climb Boston’s tallest building to support the victims of child abuse, neglect, and exploitation.
Conley, along with about 35 Suffolk prosecutors and victim advocates, will scale the 61-story stairwell of the John Hancock Tower this weekend for The Ginormous Climb, a first-of-its kind vertical charity run to raise funds for and awareness of the Children’s Advocacy Center of Suffolk County. more »
In Separate Case, Appeals Court Sets Stage for Alleged Fratricide Prosecution
BOSTON, March 21, 2014—A one-time Roslindale resident is behind bars today after pleading guilty to a gun possession charge more than a decade after he was arrested, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »
BOSTON, March 20, 2014—A Quincy man was arraigned this morning for a South End hit-and-run crash that left a pedestrian with life threatening injuries, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
LAWRENCE STEAD (D.O.B. 6/1/44) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on a charge of leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury. Stead was released on $1,100 bail after his arrest yesterday and today walked in to court. Assistant District Attorney Emily Hamrock requested bail of $10,000 and that Stead be ordered not to drive while the case is pending. Judge Sally Kelly declined to impose any additional bail or conditions of release. more »
BOSTON, March 18, 2014—Three men and a woman were arraigned yesterday for their roles in the March 9 beatings of a 40-year-old man and a group of teens who came to his defense – including one alleged perpetrator on probation for an earlier, unprovoked beating, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today. more »
Warrants Issue for Two; Community Service Ordered for Three More
BOSTON, March 17, 2014—Seven men spent St. Patrick’s Day in the arraignment session of a Suffolk County courtroom after their arrests at yesterday’s parade in South Boston, while arrest warrants issued for three more who failed to appear in court, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »
BOSTON, March 17, 2014—An alleged armed career criminal and his girlfriend were arraigned on firearm and other charges last week after Boston Police showed up with a warrant for the man’s arrest and discovered a gun and drugs in a diaper bag the woman was carrying, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.
JEAN TOUSSAINT (D.O.B. 5/5/90) and JESSICA BUTLER (D.O.B. 8/29/89), both of Dorchester, were arraigned Thursday in Dorchester Municipal Court. more »
BOSTON, March 17, 2014—A West Roxbury man was formally charged today with his father’s shooting death in the home they shared, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARK TOMAS REGAN (D.O.B. 7/21/80) was arraigned today in West Roxbury Municipal Court in connection with the fatal shooting of Mark Thomas Regan, 66. At the request of Assistant District Attorney David Fredette, Judge Franco Gobourne ordered the defendant held without bail. more »
BOSTON, March 13, 2014—The driver who allegedly struck and killed 7-year-old Brianna Rosales and seriously injured the girl’s mother has been indicted for manslaughter in connection with the collision on Olney Street late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments, returned yesterday, charge OLIVIA MORA (D.O.B. 7/19/77) with manslaughter by motor vehicle, motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, operating under the influence causing serious bodily injury, and leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury. more »
BOSTON, March 13, 2014—A Dorchester man was arraigned yesterday on his second gun offense and marijuana charges after a housekeeper found a loaded gun and more than a quarter pound of marijuana in his hotel room, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
REGINALD WEAKS (D.O.B. 3/3/81) of Dorchester was arraigned yesterday in South Boston District Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm as a subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, improper storage of a firearm, and possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance. Assistant District Attorney Elizabeth Burke requested that bail be set in the amount of $200,000. Judge Jonathan Tynes imposed $50,000 bail and ordered Weaks to wear a GPS monitoring device, abide by a curfew, and stay away from the location of the incident in the event he is released on bail. more »
BOSTON, March 12, 2014—A Boston Municipal Court jury rejected a Mattapan gun defendant’s claim that he was planning on turning in the loaded handgun Boston Police found in his waistband after responding to a call for shots fired, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors convicted JEFF JEAN (D.O.B. 6/14/90) of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm. After the verdicts were returned, Judge Michael Coyne dismissed the charge of unlawful possession of ammunition as duplicative of the conviction for carrying a loaded firearm. more »
BOSTON, March 12, 2014—A Roslindale man was arraigned on a robbery charge today, thanks to a US Marine who tackled him moments after he allegedly stole a woman’s purse in Chinatown, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DEMETRICK NEALY (D.O.B. 3/19/87) was formally charged today with one count of unarmed robbery for the incident yesterday evening. Nealy is accused of snatching a 41-year-old woman’s purse from behind as the woman walked down Beach Street at about 7:30 p.m. The woman screamed for help, and a 23-year-old Marine Corps lieutenant from Corona, California, responded. more »
BOSTON, March 10, 2014— Five men were arraigned today on charges stemming from two separate incidents just hours apart during which police recovered a total of five firearms, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMES EDWARDS (D.O.B. 4/1/91) of Dorchester was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and improper storage of a firearm. JESOR BROWN (D.O.B. 10/27/94) of Dorchester was arraigned on charges of unlawful possession a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and possession with intent to distribute a class D drug. JESUS GONZALEZ (D.O.B. 11/1/90) of Dorchester was arraigned on a charge of possession with intent to distribute a class D drug. Granting the requests of Assistant District Attorney Amanda Cascione, Judge Rosalind Miller set bail of $10,000 for Edwards, $20,000 for Brown, and $240 for Gonzalez. more »
BOSTON, March 10, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley last week hosted a training to help law enforcement officials recognize and prevent false confessions as part of an ongoing professional development program for Suffolk prosecutors.
Conley welcomed retired Detective Jim Trainum, formerly of the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department, and retired FBI Special Agent Gregg McCrary, formerly of the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime, for the seminar, entitled “Witness Interviews: Investigative Processes, Practices, and Pitfalls.” Trainum, who received the 2009 Champion of Justice Award from the Innocence Project, is a frequent presenter on police work, including the causes of false confessions. A legendary criminal profiler, McCrary was the principal instructor for the First International Symposium on Criminal Investigative Analysis and is an adjunct faculty member in the forensic psychology and criminal justice programs of Marymount University. more »
BOSTON, March 5, 2014—The Dorchester man accused of shooting 36-year-old Rashaad O’Neill to death on Christmas morning was ordered held without bail at his arraignment today, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
IAN HOLNESS (D.O.B. 9/24/86) was arraigned in Dorchester District Court this morning on a charge of murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition. Judge Serge Georges granted a request by Assistant District Attorney Lynn Feigenbaum that Holness be held without bail. more »
BOSTON, March 5, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today urged Massachusetts lawmakers to revise a law that the state’s highest court says does not forbid secretly photographing underneath a person’s clothes.
The Supreme Judicial Court today reversed a Boston Municipal Court judge’s order denying a motion by MICHAEL ROBERTSON (D.O.B. 3/3/82) of Andover to dismiss a criminal complaint charging two counts of attempting to secretly photograph a person in a state of partial nudity. more »
BOSTON, March 5, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following statement on the Supreme Judicial Court’s decisions in Commonwealth v. Rakim D. Scott and five other cases:
“The SJC wisely reversed lower court rulings allowing defendants who pleaded guilty on Hinton Lab drug cases to withdraw their pleas automatically. Consistent with the Inspector General’s recent findings, it also drew a bright line between Annie Dookhan’s cases and all other cases from the Hinton Lab. Moreover, it validated our careful, methodical, case-by-case approach to this crisis. more »
BOSTON, March 3, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following statement on the retirement of Chief Justice Roderick Ireland:
“Having appeared before Chief Justice Ireland many times as a prosecutor, I’m sorry to hear of his departure from the high court but very happy for him personally. As a trial judge and as Chief Justice, his rulings were thoughtful, measured, and balanced. He’s a gentleman on and off the bench with the ideal judicial temperament. He brought decades of courtroom experience to the SJC, and he understood as a practical centrist how his rulings would affect real people in the community. He’s been a unifying figure on the SJC and I hope Governor Patrick selects in his replacement a judge with very similar qualities.”
BOSTON, March 3, 2014— The state’s highest court last week affirmed the conviction of the man who killed 31-year-old Heureur Previlon during an armed robbery in Brighton, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
The Supreme Judicial Court on Wednesday issued the decision upholding the verdicts against CLEVELAND “SLEAZY” MARTIN (D.O.B. 7/4/86) for armed robbery and first-degree murder under the theory of felony murder – a homicide committed during the commission of a felony. more »
BOSTON, March 3, 2014—A Hyde Park man was ordered held without bail for the December shooting death of 25-year-old Romeo McCubbin, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ANDREW “SPOILERS” ROBERTSON (D.O.B. 06/09/1976) was arraigned today in Dorchester District Court on a charge of murder following his arrest Friday by Boston Police. more »