Press Releases from 2014
May 29, 2014

Boston, May 29, 2014— An habitual offender has been sentenced to more than 22 years in prison for a racially-based assault that left one of his victims permanently disfigured, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

ROBERT O’CONNOR (D.O.B. 11/21/67) of South Boston was convicted in March of mayhem, a civil rights violation with injuries, and two counts of assault and battery in connection with a 2012 bar fight. Jurors in that trial were not allowed to hear of his extensive criminal history.  more »


May 27, 2014

BOSTON, May 27, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley has extended the application period for his Youth Advisory Council in order to allow more young leaders the opportunity to provide input on policy, legislation, and crime-fighting strategies affecting young people.

Conley began seeking teens from Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop to staff the 21-member council nearly two weeks ago.  Today, he announced that the application deadline would be extended an additional month from May 23 to June 23. more »


May 23, 2014

BOSTON, May 22, 2014—A passenger on an MBTA bus was arraigned this week on charges he attacked the driver, even after she allowed him to ride for free, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DONNELL FLATTES (D.O.B. 6/5/90), who lists a Boston homeless shelter as his address, was arraigned Monday in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of interfering with a bus driver, indecent assault and battery, possession of a Class D substance with intent to distribute, resisting arrest, and two counts each of assault and battery on a public employee and making threats to commit a crime.  more »


May 22, 2014

BOSTON, May 22, 2014—A one-time friend of 25-year-old Shannon Richardson was arraigned today on a murder charge stemming from his shooting death in broad daylight yesterday afternoon, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PETER CARVALHO (D.O.B. 8/11/88) of Dorchester was arraigned today in Roxbury Municipal Court, where Judge Lisa Grant ordered him held without bail at the request of Assistant District Attorney Tara Burdman. more »


May 22, 2014

BOSTON, May 22, 2014—A man convicted of biting off and swallowing part of another man’s lip and violating his civil rights faces upwards of 35 years in prison when he is sentenced as a habitual offender next week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

On March 31, a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted ROBERT O’CONNOR (D.O.B. 11/21/67) of South Boston of mayhem, a civil rights violation with injuries, and two counts of assault and battery in connection with a 2012 bar fight that left the victim permanently disfigured.  more »


May 21, 2014

Murder Arraignment Expected Next Week

BOSTON, May 21, 2014—With his arraignment on two counts of first-degree murder expected one week from today, Boston Police and Suffolk prosecutors are seeking assistance from tattoo artists who may have inked AARON HERNANDEZ in the aftermath of the 2012 homicides of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado. more »


May 20, 2014

BOSTON, May 19, 2014—A man was held on high bail today at his arraignment for allegedly bringing two loaded firearms to the Boston University commencement ceremony yesterday in violation of state law and his license to carry, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ANDREA MASSA (D.O.B. 9/30/85), who claims addresses in Marshfield and Scituate, was arraigned today in Brighton Municipal Court on charges of unlawfully carrying a firearm on school grounds, disturbing a school, disturbing a public assembly, and violation of a firearm license restriction. more »


May 19, 2014

BOSTON, May 19, 2014—A Beacon Hill man was arraigned late last week for possession of child pornography after allegedly leaving a thumb drive containing explicit images in a co-worker’s car, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

PAUL FEST (D.O.B. 12/12/70) was arraigned Friday in the Boston Municipal Court on one count of possession of child pornography after a month long investigation by Boston Police and Suffolk prosecutors.  Assistant District Attorney Gerry Cahill of the DA’s Child Protection Unit requested that bail be set in the amount of $25,000 and that Fest be ordered to wear a GPS monitor, have no unsupervised contact with children under 16, not reside with children under 16, neither work nor volunteer where he would have contact with children unless approved in advance by the Department of Probation, not remain within 1,000 feet of schools or other locations where children regularly congregate, not allow any other person access to his computer or other devices, not use the internet, and undergo random searches of his computers, electronic devices, and other digital media in the event he is released on bail.  more »


May 15, 2014

BOSTON, May 15, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks on the indictment of AARON HERNANDEZ (D.O.B. 11/6/89) on two counts of first-degree murder and other offenses: more »


May 14, 2014

BOSTON, May 14, 2014—A Dorchester teen convicted as a youthful offender in the shootings of two men during a botched robbery was sentenced to state prison today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury in March convicted JOHN GRAHAM (D.O.B. 12/15/94) as a youthful offender on two counts of armed assault with intent to rob and single counts of armed assault with intent to murder, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and firearm offenses for shooting two men on Oct. 30, 2011, but acquitted him of first-degree murder and armed assault with intent to rob in the fatal shooting of 36-year-old Ciaran Conneely three weeks prior to the non-fatal shooting. more »


May 9, 2014

BOSTON, May 8, 2014—A senior Suffolk prosecutor was honored with a prestigious award from the Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Assistant District Attorney Christina Miller received the Kevin Larkin Award for Public Service last night at the association’s annual dinner. In her role as Chief of District Courts and Community Prosecutions, Miller oversees the great majority of some 40,000 criminal cases each year in Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop. She is also the DA’s point person on internet crimes against children and directly supervises all investigations of hate crimes and civil rights violations in Suffolk County. more »


May 8, 2014

BOSTON, May 8, 2014—A Brockton man was sentenced to state prison today following his conviction last month for shooting an elderly woman when he opened fire on a crowd in Boston’s South End, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury on April 11 found KEVIN WASHINGTON (D.O.B. 12/14/79) guilty of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.  Jurors acquitted him of an additional indictment charging armed assault with intent to murder. more »


May 7, 2014

BOSTON, May 7, 2014—On the day their homicide trial was scheduled to begin, two Boston men today admitted guilt rather than face a jury in the 2011 shooting death of 25-year-old Willie Marquis Turner, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOSE MERCADO (D.O.B. 11/11/93) of Jamaica Plain and PRINCE DENIS (D.O.B. 11/7/90) of Dorchester pleaded guilty to charges of manslaughter, unlawful possession of a firearm, and witness intimidation.  The defendants changed their pleas just as they were scheduled to begin selecting a jury for their trial on charges of first-degree murder. Judge Dianne Kottmyer sentenced Mercado to 19 to 20 years in state prison followed by four years of probation and Denis to 15 years in prison followed by four years of probation. more »


May 6, 2014

BOSTON, May 6, 2014—A West Roxbury man was sentenced to state prison this week for a gun conviction made possible in part by his dirt bike’s failure to start, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ALEXANDER HARRIS (D.O.B. 7/4/82) pleaded guilty yesterday to indictments charging him with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and being a Level I armed career criminal because of prior convictions for drug distribution and firearm possession. He was sentenced to three years in state prison followed by three years of probation. more »


May 5, 2014

BOSTON, May 7, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley is recruiting young leaders to help staff his Youth Advisory Council, a 21-member body drawn from across the region to provide input on policy, legislation, and crime-fighting strategies affecting young people.

more »


May 5, 2014

BOSTON, May 5, 2014—State Police detectives assigned to Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office are seeking the public’s help in identifying a man whose remains washed up on Revere Beach last week.

The conditions of the remains have thus far hindered investigators’ efforts to identify the man or determine his ethnicity, but forensic anthropologists consulted by the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit have opined that he was an adult between 20 and 40 years old – and likely on the younger end of that range. more »


May 1, 2014

BOSTON, April 30, 2014—Alfonso “Itto” Rivas was remembered as caring and generous by his heartbroken siblings this morning as the two men convicted of murdering him were sentenced to life in prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

REGINALD HOLLEY (D.O.B. 11/22/89) of Dorchester and OASIS PRITCHETT (D.O.B. 10/5/90) of Roxbury were convicted yesterday of first-degree murder under the theory of felony murder in 23-year-old Rivas’ slaying and this morning appeared before Suffolk Superior Court Judge Patrick Brady to receive the mandatory sentence of life in prison with no possibility of parole.  Brady also sentenced the two to four to five years in prison to be served concurrent to their life sentences on their convictions for unlawful possession of the firearm used to kill Rivas and placed on file the duos convictions for armed robbery – the requisite felony for the felony murder conviction. more »