BOSTON, Aug. 29, 2014—A year and a half after the Massachusetts Appeals Court affirmed a murder conviction in the 2006 slaying of Dominique Samuels, the Supreme Judicial Court reached the same conclusion and denied her killer’s efforts to reverse it, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
The 26-page decision authored by Justice Barbara Lenk is expected to end any further appeals by RODRICK JAMES TAYLOR (D.O.B. 5/15/71), who was found guilty of second-degree murder for strangling the 19-year-old Milton High School graduate to death in the early morning hours of April 28, 2006, then setting her remains on fire in Franklin Park to destroy any forensic evidence that might incriminate him. His 2008 trial was one of the longest homicide trials in Suffolk County history, with some 30 witnesses offering testimony over the course of almost seven weeks. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 28, 2014—Two H-Block gang members pleaded guilty today to their respective roles in the 2010 shooting death of 14-year-old Jaewon Martin, Suffolk County Distyrict Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
TIMOTHY HEARNS (D.O.B. 3/13/90) and RAMON SILVELO-MILES (D.O.B. 11/30/89) pleaded guilty to manslaughter for Martin’s May 8, 2010, homicide, as well as three counts of armed assault with intent to murder and related offenses for firing at three other teens at a basketball court near the Bromley Heath housing development. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 25, 2014—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks on the arraignment of KEITH WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 7/13/96) on charges of murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and gun charges in connection with the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Dawnn Jaffier on Saturday morning. Williams was ordered held without bail and will return to court on Oct. 14 with attorney John Galvin. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 22, 2014—DeAndre Russ was murdered at age 22, but his family today expressed forgiveness for the man who killed him, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Their words came at a sentencing hearing this afternoon for DAVID YARDE (D.O.B. 9/16/90) of Dorchester, convicted Aug. 6 of second-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm for shooting Russ dead outside a 2012 party on Tremont Street. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 20, 2014—A man who allegedly stole an SUV with a teenage boy inside was held on high bail at his arraignment yesterday thanks to the exhaustive efforts of Revere Police and the quick thinking of the young victim, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROBERT CONSOLO (D.O.B. 1/11/82) of Melrose was arraigned in Chelsea District Court yesterday on charges of carjacking, kidnapping, larceny of a motor vehicle, and taxi fare evasion. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Myriam Feliz, Judge Matthew Nestor imposed $20,000 bail. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 20, 2014—A Dorchester man was held on high bail at his arraignment today on charges he attempted to murder a 24-year-old Randolph man, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
BALFOUR McLEAN (D.O.B. 3/17/92) was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of armed assault with intent to murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition as a subsequent offense, carrying a loaded firearm, possessing a firearm with an defaced serial number, discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling, possession of a Class B substance, and being a Level I armed career criminal. Prosecutors told the court that McLean was previously convicted of unlawfully possessing ammunition in 2011 and 2012 and of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance in 2011. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 20, 2014—A Dorchester teen today admitted to fatally shooting his 9-year-old brother with a handgun that he thought was unloaded, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
During an appearance this morning in the Suffolk County Juvenile Court, JUANLY PEÑA, 15, admitted to charges of manslaughter and unlawful possession of a firearm in the Feb. 7 shooting death of his brother Janmarcos Peña, accepting a commitment to the Department of Youth Services and the possibility of state prison if he re-offends after his release. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 19, 2014—A man was arraigned today after Allston residents told Boston Police that he had been lurking around their home, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
GENESIO CASSIMIRO (D.O.B. 3/30/63) of Allston was arraigned in Brighton Municipal Court this morning on charges of trespassing and disorderly conduct. Assistant District Attorney Michael V. Glennon requested that bail be set in the amount of $1,000; Judge Robert McKenna released Cassimiro on his own recognizance and ordered him to wear a GPS monitor, stay away from the location of the incident, and abide by a curfew. more »
DV Murder Conviction Affirmed in Unrelated Case
BOSTON, Aug. 18, 2014—A man once described as “stalker-like” in his relationship with 32-year-old Sherry Leigh Bradley was held without bail more than a year after she was found dead in an East Boston parking garage, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 18, 2014—A man on federal probation for a firearms charge was held on $1 million cash bail at his arraignment today on charges that he shot four people in Chinatown early Sunday morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Boston Municipal Court Judge Thomas Horgan imposed twice the bail recommended for KAREEM SMITH (D.O.B. 4/25/85) of Malden by Assistant District Attorney Lindsey Weinstein, chief of the DA’s Gun Prosecution Task Force. Smith is charged with unlawful possession of a firearm as a second offense, carrying a loaded firearm, discharging a firearm within 500’ of a building, and four counts each of armed assault with intent to murder and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 18, 2014—The man whom prosecutors say was behind the wheel when his Ford Explorer struck and killed Jessica Campbell and John Lanzillotti was held on high bail at his arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MOHAMED ALFAGEEH (D.O.B. 8/15/84), who surrendered himself on a warrant this morning after his indictment late last week, was held on the $10,000 cash bail requested by Assistant District Attorney Gregory Henning. He is charged with two counts of motor vehicle homicide and one count of negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
Henning told the court that Campbell, 27, and Lanzillotti, 28, were together at the intersection of Beacon and Fairfield streets shortly after 9:00 p.m. on June 21. He said Alfageeh was travelling westbound on Beacon when the light at Fairfield turned red. Alfageeh allegedly continued through the red light, struck the front end of another vehicle in the intersection, spun through the intersection, and came to rest on its roof after hitting two parked cars.
Both Campbell and Lanzillotti were struck by the Explorer as it skidded through the crosswalk, suffering injuries that claimed both their lives.
Boston Police detectives and crash reconstruction experts immediately began investigating the collision to determine the facts of the collision and the identity of the driver. In light of conflicting witness statements on that latter point, the case was presented to the Suffolk County Grand Jury, which has the power to compel testimony and subpoena medical records, surveillance footage, and other evidence. The grand jury returned its indictments Thursday.
Alfageeh was ordered to surrender his passport while the case is pending. He will return to court on Sept. 22 for a pre-trial conference with attorney John Seed. Katherine Moran is the DA’s assigned victim-witness advocate.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
BOSTON, Aug. 14, 2014– A Dorchester man arrested Tuesday on gun charges is being held without bail pending a hearing on whether he violated the terms of his open probation on an unrelated case, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
GEQUANN PERRY (D.O.B. 9/6/90) was arraigned in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm as a subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and being a Level III armed career criminal. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 13, 2014–A Roxbury woman was sent for a mental health evaluation at her arraignment today in the apparently unprovoked stabbing of a stranger at a bus stop, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHELLE JACKSON (D.O.B. 6/4/67) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder. Assistant District Attorney Eric Teasdale requested $50,000 bail; Judge Tracy-Lee Lyons ordered Jackson to undergo a 20-day mental health evaluation at the Worcester Recovery Center and imposed $5,000 bail upon the completion of the evaluation. more »
Both Cases Retrials after Prior Hung Juries
BOSTON, Aug. 13, 2014—A Roslindale man became the second defendant this week to be convicted of child rape and sentenced to state prison after previous juries deadlocked on the two unrelated cases, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 8, 2014—A Dorchester man was arraigned yesterday on firearm charges after a Boston Police criminalist discovered his fingerprints on a loaded gun recovered from behind a Roxbury home, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DAQUAN CHADWICK (D.O.B. 3/2/89) of Dorchester was arraigned in Roxbury Municipal Court yesterday on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possessing a firearm with a defaced serial number, carrying a loaded firearm, and possession of a large capacity firearm. Assistant District Attorney Caitlin Fitzgerald requested that Chadwick be held on $15,000 bail and that he be ordered wear a GPS monitor, stay away from the area of his arrest, and stay away and have no contact with potential witnesses in the event he is released on bail. Judge Pamela Dashiell imposed $7,500 bail and granted the requested conditions of release. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 8, 2014—State Police are investigating a sexual assault on the Esplanade shortly before 12:30 this morning.
Uniformed troopers, detectives from Troop H, and the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit responded to the area of the Harvard Bridge spanning the Charles River at Massachusetts Avenue and spoke with a 22-year-old woman who reported that a man on a bicycle had assaulted her after a brief verbal encounter. The woman ran and sought help from another cyclist who called 911. A search of the area by numerous State Police assets did not turn up the suspect. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 6, 2014—A Dorchester man has been found guilty of murder for gunning down 22-year-old DeAndre Russ in a dispute outside an after-hours party on Tremont Street two years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury late today convicted DAVID YARDE (D.O.B. 9/16/90) of second-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with Russ’ fatal shooting. Yarde faces a mandatory term of life in prison when he is sentenced on Aug. 22. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 6, 2014—A 72-year-old man will spend the next 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting a young girl who years later found the strength to come forward and testify against him, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
HENRY PEARL BROWN, Jr. (D.O.B. 1/26/42), formerly of Boston and more recently of Westbrook, Maine, pleaded guilty yesterday to rape of a child and indecent assault and battery on a child under 14. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Garry Inge sentenced him to eight to 10 years in prison. Brown was additionally sentenced to 10 years of probation upon his release and may be held even longer under the state’s Sexually Dangerous Person statute. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 4, 2014—The operator of a Boston Department of Public Works truck was arraigned today on charges he sold drugs out of the vehicle, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
KENNETH CLARK (D.O.B. 7/14/65) of Dorchester was arraigned today in Dorchester District Court on a charge of distribution of a Class A substance as a subsequent offense. That charge was brought in light of a 1999 Suffolk Superior Court conviction for distributing a Class A substance and possession with intent to distribute a Class A substance. Judge Serge Georges imposed $15,000 bail but declined prosecutors’ request that he revoke Clark’s open bail on a case out of Wrentham District Court charging possession of a Class A substance and operating after suspension. more »
BOSTON, Aug. 1, 2014—A Malden man has been arrested and held on high bail for allegedly trying to lure a 15-year-old child into sexual activity, Winthrop Police Chief Terence Delehanty and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
THOMAS VINCENT ROSE (D.O.B. 2/9/52) was arrested on one count of enticement of a child last night by Winthrop Police and arraigned today in East Boston Municipal Court. Assistant District Attorney Kaushal Rana recommended that he be held on $150,000 cash bail. Judge John McDonald imposed $50,000. Rana recommended orders that Rose wear a GPS device and have no contact with any witnesses in the case if he posts that amount; McDonald imposed those conditions. more »
BOSTON, July 31, 2014—A Hyde Park man was held without bail on a murder charge today following his arrest for allegedly shooting his co-worker, 23-year-old Daniel P. Taylor, to death in Dorchester earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARQUIS SMITH (D.O.B. 9/27/90) was formally charged in South Boston Municipal Court today with Taylor’s Feb. 23 homicide near the intersection of Boston and Howell streets. Boston Police homicide detectives arrested him yesterday afternoon at the Boston valet service where he and Taylor both worked. more »