BOSTON, April 30, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley will join the nation’s largest medical specialty organization tomorrow in support of reasonable policies to mitigate the rate of firearm-related injuries and deaths in the United States.
Conley, a leader in law enforcement’s response to gun-related violence, will speak from a prosecutor’s perspective as the American College of Physicians and more than two dozen other medical, legal, and advocacy groups endorse the policy recommendations, which were published in Annals of Internal Medicine earlier this year. more »
BOSTON, April 15, 2015—Prosecution statistics show a decline in firearm and related crimes by female defendants since the launch of a unique program that empowers women no to purchase, carry, or store handguns for their male friends and family members, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
At the request of Operation LIPSTICK – Ladies Involved in Putting a Stop to Inner City Killings) – Conley’s office reviewed prosecutions for the unlawful possession of firearms, ammunition, and other dangerous weapons during the calendar years 2011 and 2013. Operation LIPSTICK is a grassroots coalition assembled to reduce gun violence by reducing women’s roles in straw purchases and storage of illegally-possessed firearms; Conley is a strong supporter. more »
Investigation Active into Identity of Additional Suspects
BOSTON, April 27, 2015—A Dorchester man has been sentenced to prison after admitting his role in the fatal stabbing of 22-year-old Justin Albert during a group attack on Tremont Street, while investigators continue to pursue leads on the identities of other assailants, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
STEVEN ROLLEY (D.O.B. 8/24/82) pleaded guilty to manslaughter for taking part in the attack, which left Albert with fatal stab wounds to the neck and stomach shortly before 1:00 a.m. on Sept. 14, 2011. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Frank Gaziano sentenced him to 14 to 16 years in state prison, the term recommended by Assistant District Attorney Joseph Janezic, chief of the DA’s Gang Unit. more »
BOSTON, April 23, 2015—Kids and teens from across Boston and Revere came together at UMass Boston with prosecutors, victim advocates, and others who serve their communities at District Attorney Dan Conley’s seventh annual Basketball for Peace tournament in Dorchester.
“So many times when we hear about violent crime in Boston, we hear about this neighborhood fighting with that neighborhood, or this street fighting with that one, or even one block against another,” Conley said to the assembled group of about 100 kids between 12 and 15. “But the truth is, most young people in this city aren’t fighting. You’re going to school. You’re playing sports. You’re hanging out with your friends. And every one of you deserves the opportunity to do that safely, with the support of those of us in law enforcement.” more »
BOSTON, April 23, 2015—The man who gunned down 37-year-old Ismael DelValle outside his estranged wife’s family home has once again been denied a new trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
HOWARD “BIG” PAYNE (D.O.B. 11/14/46), a.k.a. ROBERT WISE, was denied his third attempt for a new trial after the state’s Appeals Court ruled that he was repeating an argument the court had already denied in his previous appeal. more »
BOSTON, April 23, 2015—The Dorchester man convicted yesterday of his role in the 2013 murder of 26-year-old Courtney Jackson was sentenced today to life in prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMEL BANNISTER (D.O.B. 10/7/90) was sentenced today following his conviction yesterday of second-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. The murder conviction carries a mandatory sentence of life in prison but allows judicial discretion to set parole eligibility beginning after a term of anywhere from 15 to 25 years. Assistant District Attorney David Fredette recommended that Bannister serve a term of life in prison with parole eligibility after 20 years and a consecutive term of four to five years on the firearm charge. Judge Richard Welch sentenced Bannister to life with the possibility of parole after 15 years and a term of four to five years to be served concurrently. more »
BOSTON, April 21, 2015—The second of two men who took part in the fatal shooting of 26-year-old Courtney Jackson at the Dudley MBTA station has been found guilty of murder, Suffolk County District attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted JAMEL BANNISTER (D.O.B. 10/7/90) of Dorchester of second-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. The jury acquitted him of charges of possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance and possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance in a school zone. more »
BOSTON, April 21, 2015—The employees and owner of a Malden metalworking company acted carelessly but not recklessly – the standard for criminal prosecution in Massachusetts – when they unwittingly started a fire that went on to claim the lives of Boston Fire Lieutenant Edward Walsh, Jr., and Firefighter Michael R. Kennedy last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Conley’s decision follows a year-long factual investigation into the March 26, 2014, fire at 298 Beacon St. by Boston Police homicide detectives and the joint Fire Investigation Unit of the Boston Police and Boston Fire departments, as well as a legal analysis by the DA’s chief homicide prosecutor and attorneys with special training in arson prosecutions. more »
BOSTON, April 17, 2015—A South End man was arraigned yesterday on charges he filmed a stranger in the bathroom of a clothing store, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROCCO COLLELA (D.O.B. 3/18/85) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on a charge of videotaping an unsuspecting person in the nude in connection with the February incident near Downtown Crossing. Judge Thomas Horgan released Collela on his own recognizance with orders to stay away from the location of the offense. more »
BOSTON, April 17, 2015—The state’s appellate courts this week affirmed murder convictions in the unrelated slayings of Jose Lane in Roxbury and Braulio Gomez in Chelsea, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts yesterday rejected an appeal by Lane’s killer, MICHAEL JACKSON (D.O.B. 11/27/84), who challenged his first-degree murder conviction in the 2002 fatal shooting on the steps of the 24-year-old victim’s Creston Street home.
Separately, the Massachusetts Appeals Court on Wednesday denied SANTOS PORTILLO (D.O.B. 7/4/90) in his effort to undo a 2013 second-degree murder conviction in Gomez’ fatal shooting on Central Avenue in 2011. more »
BOSTON, April 15, 2015—A Tewksbury man already facing charges for a November assault was arraigned today on an additional charge of violating his victim’s civil rights in the alleged hate crime, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RYAN SUGRUE (D.O.B. 3/6/91) was arraigned today in Boston Municipal Court on one count of violating a person’s civil rights in connection with a Nov. 30 attack on another man on New Chardon Street. That charge supplements existing charges of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and assault and battery for which he has already been arraigned. Prosecutors recommended $1500 cash bail; his bail was set at $1000. more »
BOSTON, April 14, 2015—An Everett man who fled the state after allegedly stabbing a teenager nearly to death in Chelsea last month has been captured and held on high bail, authorities said today.
Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes, State Police Colonel Timothy Alben, and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced the arrest, extradition, and arraignment of JUAN SANTANA-RUIZ (D.O.B. 9/5/74) on charges of armed assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and assault and battery. The charges arise out of the stabbing of a 17-year-old Chelsea male at a Washington Street restaurant last month. more »
BOSTON, April 13, 2015—A Roxbury man out on bail in an earlier assault and battery case was ordered held without bail for the next 90 days after he opened fire near a school yard filled with children, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
SEMAJ LEARY (D.O.B. 7/18/94) was arraigned this morning on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm as a subsequent offense, carrying a loaded firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a firearm with a defaced serial number, carrying a dangerous weapon on school grounds, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a dwelling. more »
BOSTON, April 13, 2015—The Dorchester man who led Boston Police on a chase after he struck and injured a teenager last summer has been sentenced to two and a half years behind bars, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
A Dorchester Municipal Court jury on Friday found MANUEL AFONSECA (D.O.B. 9/30/81) guilty of leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident causing personal injury, leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident causing property damage, and failure to stop for police. more »
BOSTON, April 9, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today congratulated a longtime staff member honored yesterday for her innovation and dedication in serving child victims of abuse and exploitation.
Jacquelyn Lamont, the DA’s director of youth safety and outreach and forensic interviewer in the office’s Child Protection Unit, received the Innovations Award from the Massachusetts Office for Victim Assistance during the 2015 Massachusetts Victim Rights Awards Ceremony at the State House yesterday morning. The award is given to service providers, agencies, and individuals responsible for innovative programs and policies to help crime victims in Massachusetts. more »
BOSTON, April 8, 2015—A man and woman today pleaded guilty to extorting thousands of dollars from victims through threatening phone calls, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JOSE O. CARRASQUILLO (D.O.B. 5/1/81) and JENNIFER RODRIGUEZ (D.O.B. 8/1/83), both of Springfield, appeared today in Suffolk Superior Court, where they admitted to taking part in a conspiracy to extort money by claiming that they held the victim’s loved one captive and would harm the captive if ransom was not paid.
“The so-called ‘kidnap scam’ has been used across the country,” Conley said. “In almost every case, investigators have learned very quickly that the nominal victims were safe and sound. Cases like these can be frightening, but victims who slow down and check on their loved ones can avoid significant financial losses.” more »
BOSTON, April 8, 2015— A Dorchester man was arraigned last week on charges he kidnapped a man at gunpoint after firing shots outside a Chelsea restaurant, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
ROBERTO ORTIZ (D.O.B. 6/1/95) was arraigned Friday in Chelsea District Court on charges of armed kidnapping, armed assault with intent to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, discharging a firearm with 500 feet of a building, and vandalism. more »
BOSTON, April 7, 2015—A Lynn man has been found guilty of murder in the shooting death of his friend, 18-year-old Christopher Pichardo, during a 2012 drug robbery that he helped plan, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
STEPHANE ETIENNE (D.O.B. 11/8/93) was convicted late today of second-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, armed robbery, home invasion, and possession of a Class D substance. He was acquitted of an additional charged of armed robbery. more »
BOSTON, April 7, 2015—State Police assigned to the Suffolk DA’s Office and Revere Police detectives are investigating the discovery of a body in the yard of an Endicott Avenue yesterday morning.
Revere Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli and District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said the body has been identified as that of a 40-year-old East Boston man. Though there were no immediate signs of violence, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner will attempt to determine the cause, manner, and approximate time of his death. Because the preliminary investigation did not immediately suggest foul play, his identity is not being released at this time. more »
BOSTON, April 6, 2015— The man who fatally shot 30-year-old Dinorris Alston was sentenced to life in prison and an additional term of 12 years for shooting and injuring the man’s companion as they sat in a car enjoying a warm April day three years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
MAURICE “MO” JONES (D.O.B. 12/29/93) appeared in Suffolk Superior Court today for sentencing after a jury convicted him last month of first-degree murder under the theories of premeditated murder and extreme atrocity and cruelty, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and unlawful possession of a firearm. Assistant District Attorney Julie Higgins of the DA’s Homicide Unit asked Judge Linda Giles to impose the mandatory sentence for first-degree murder of life in prison without the possibility of parole, followed by consecutive terms of 14 to 15 years for the assault on the surviving victim and four to five years on the firearm charge. Giles imposed the mandated life term and a consecutive term of eight to 12 years in prison for the non-fatal shooting and a concurrent sentence of three to four years for carrying the illegal firearm that he used in the April 17, 2012, shootings. more »
BOSTON, April 2, 2015—Suffolk prosecutors today indicted five men charged with the separate murders of Kenneth Lamour and Ryan Morrissey earlier this year, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging DONTE HENLEY (D.O.B. 5/18/90) of South Boston and JOSIAH ZACHERY (D.O.B. 7/13/96) of Hyde Park with first-degree murder for Lamour’s shooting death as he shoveled snow in Jamaica Plain following a February storm. Zachery was additionally indicted for armed assault with intent to murder and unlawful possession of a firearm for allegedly firing at a Boston Police officer while fleeing the scene. more »
BOSTON, April 2, 2015—The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging an off-duty police officer with civil rights violations while assaulting a livery driver earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans said.
MICHAEL DOHERTY (D.O.B. 11/7/74) of South Boston was indicted on two counts of assault and battery and one count each of assault and battery for purposes of intimidation, violation of constitutional rights, and use of a motor vehicle without authority in connection with assaults and ethnic slurs against one Uber driver and ethnic slurs while verbally threatening a second driver who attempted to intervene in the assaults. more »