BOSTON, June 29, 2015— A Hyde Park man accused of stabbing three children was held on high bail at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ROCK AURELIAN (D.O.B. 8/16/63) was arraigned in West Roxbury Municipal Court today on three counts each of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and armed assault with intent to murder in connection with the Saturday stabbings. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Amy Martin of the DA’s Family Protection and Sexual Assault Bureau, Judge Kathleen Coffey imposed $100,000 and orders that Aurelian stay away and have no contact with the victims and a family member and wear a GPS monitor in the event he is released on bail. more »
BOSTON, June 29, 2015—An Arizona man was held on high bail at his arraignment for allegedly bringing about a pound of crystal methamphetamine to Boston through Logan Airport this weekend, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICAH GIBSON (D.O.B. 12/19/76) of Phoenix was arraigned in East Boston Municipal Court on one count of trafficking in more than 200 grams of methamphetamine. Assistant District Attorney Emily Hamrock recommended that he be held on $150,000 cash bail and be ordered to surrender his passport and wear a GPS monitor if he posts that amount; a judge imposed $75,000 bail and the requested conditions. more »
BOSTON, June 29, 2015—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today reversed a municipal court decision suppressing firearm evidence found on a man who fled from a moving vehicle as Boston Police attempted to conduct a traffic stop, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Today’s decision reverses a Dorchester Municipal Court judge’s order that would effectively have ended the case against EDDY G. TEIXEIRA-FURTADO (D.O.B.10/17/90), charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm following his November 23, 2012, arrest as he fled from a moving vehicle that Boston Police officers had attempted to stop for speeding. more »
BOSTON, June 26, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, State Police Colonel Timothy Alben, and Winthrop Police Chief Terence Delehanty today released a physical description of the young girl whose body was found on Deer Island yesterday.
After a physical examination by the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, investigators believe the girl was about 4 years old with brown eyes and brown hair that was about 14 inches long. She stood about 3½ feet tall, and weighed just over 30 pounds. She was not significantly overweight or underweight for her height. Her ethnicity has not been established. more »
BOSTON, June 26, 2015—An H-Block gang member has been sentenced to up to eight years in prison for causing the death of 40-year-old Kelvin Rowell, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL “FRESH” STALLINGS (D.O.B. 3/31/89) faced sentencing today after a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted him earlier this month of involuntary manslaughter and unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with Rowell’s 2012 death from an asthma attack he suffered while fleeing after Stallings opened fire on a group of men on Blue Hill Avenue and Pasadena Road. Assistant District Attorney Julie Higgins of the DA’s Homicide Unit recommended that Stallings serve 18 to 20 years in prison for manslaughter and an additional three to five years for unlawfully possessing the firearm used in the incident. Judge Edward P. Leibensperger sentenced Stallings to six to eight years for manslaughter and a concurrent four to five years for the firearm conviction. more »
BOSTON, June 25, 2015—Authorities are seeking the public’s help after the body of a young child was discovered near the shoreline on Deer Island early this afternoon.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, State Police Colonel Timothy Alben, and Winthrop Police Chief Terence Delehanty said today that a woman walking a dog at about 1:00 this afternoon made observations that led to the discovery of a child’s body near the shoreline. more »
BOSTON, June 25, 2015— A Dorchester gang member will serve at least a year and a half behind bars for possessing a firearm that Boston Police recovered while investigating a pair of Independence Day shootings two years ago, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury yesterday convicted HENRY COAKLEY (D.O.B. 2/2/86) of unlawful possession of a firearm. After the verdict was returned, Judge Linda Giles sentenced Coakley to 2 ½ years in the house of correction, with 18 months to serve and the remainder suspended for a probationary period of two years. During that time, Coakley must earn his GED, remain employed, and not reoffend. If he complies with those terms, the he will face no further jail time; if he does not, he could be ordered to serve out the entire sentence. more »
BOSTON, June 25, 2015— A former Allston man was indicted yesterday in a series of sexual assaults in the Allston area, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced.
A Suffolk County grand jury yesterday returned indictments charging STEVEN LENT (D.O.B. 7/14/88) with rape, assault with intent to rape, and four counts of indecent assault and battery in connection with four separate assaults that occurred in August and May. Lent was arraigned in Brighton Municipal Court after his May 22 arrest by Boston Police. Yesterday’s indictments move the case to Suffolk Superior Court, where arraignment is scheduled for July 9. more »
BOSTON, June 19, 2015—A Boston man was arraigned today on charges he destroyed evidence being sought by police investigating a boating accident in which a woman lost her arm, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ALEXANDER WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 7/30/90) of Boston was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court today on charges of misleading an investigator under the state’s witness intimidation statute, as well as negligent operating of a boat or vessel and providing alcohol to minors. Assistant District Attorney Nicole Rimar of the DA’s Major Felony Bureau requested bail of $10,000; Judge Catherine Byrne imposed $5,000. more »
BOSTON, June 19, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this afternoon assigned a senior prosecutor to investigate the use of lethal force by a State trooper during a confrontation with an armed suspect.
Conley assigned Chief Trial Counsel John Pappas to lead the probe into the fatal shooting of an adult male at about 2:20 this afternoon on the Silber Way Overpass over Storrow Drive. The deceased has been tentatively identified as a 45-year-old Boston man; authorities are withholding his name until his identity has been confirmed and his family has been notified. more »
BOSTON, June 18, 2015—An accused armed career criminal who fled from police during a routine traffic stop was arraigned this week on firearm charges, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DWAYNE WILLIAMS, Jr. (D.O.B. 7/18/85), who provided the address of a Boston homeless shelter as his residence, was arraigned Monday in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of unlawful possession of a firearm as a subsequent offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, possession of a large capacity feeding device, carrying a dangerous weapon, and being a Level 3 armed career criminal. Assistant District Attorney William Kettlewell requested bail of $100,000 and orders that Williams wear a GPS monitor and remain on home confinement in the event he is released on bail. Judge Thomas Kaplanes set bail at $50,000 and imposed the requested conditions of release. more »
BOSTON, June 18, 2015—A Chicago man was arraigned yesterday on charges he forced his way into the motorman compartment of an Orange Line train in an alleged attempt to drive the train, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
REECE D. CONRAD (D.O.B. 6/14/71) was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court yesterday on charges of disorderly conduct and interfering with public transportation. Assistant District Attorney Brad Tully requested that bail be set at $500; Judge Sally Kelly released Conrad on his own recognizance. more »
BOSTON, June 17, 2015—An appeals court panel today affirmed the convictions of the man who gunned down Paula Castillo after her 18th birthday party, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
In an unpublished decision issued this morning, the Massachusetts Appeals Court affirmed the 2011 convictions of RUBEN SANCHEZ (D.O.B. 9/6/90) of Hyde Park for second-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and carrying a loaded firearm. The court likewise affirmed the convictions of Sanchez’s co-defendant, ANDRES BREA (D.O.B. 1/25/90) of Roxbury, who was found guilty of unlawful possession of a firearm and carrying a loaded firearm. more »
BOSTON, June 15, 2015—Jonathan Dos Santos, 16, was shot and killed last week by a 14-year-old and 16-year-old working in concert, Suffolk County prosecutors said at the teens’ arraignment today on murder charges.
District Attorney Daniel F. Conley identified the youths as RAESHAWN MOODY (D.O.B. 2/8/01), most recently of Mattapan, and DUSHAWN TAYLOR-GENNIS (D.O.B. 12/29/98) of Dorchester. Though both are juveniles, their cases are open to the public because they are charged with murder; both are additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm. more »
BOSTON, June 12, 2015—The man who gunned down Demetrius Blocker in a likely case of mistaken identity was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2010 Mission Hill slaying, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
After two days of deliberations, a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted KEITH HOBBS (D.O.B. 2/1/86) of first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm in the Dec. 16, 2010, homicide. He faces a mandatory life term when he is sentenced at 9:00 Tuesday morning. more »
BOSTON, June 10, 2015— The man who murdered 24-year-old Rashad Lesley-Barnes was today sentenced to life in prison, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Monday convicted JAHVON GOODWIN (D.O.B. 8/26/91) of second-degree murder in Lesley-Barnes’ Aug. 15, 2012, stabbing death. Prosecutors had indicted Goodwin for first-degree murder.
At his sentencing this morning, Goodwin faced the mandatory sentence for second-degree murder of life in prison with the possibility of parole. Assistant District Attorney David Fredette recommended that parole eligibility be set at 24 years in recognition of the victim who was 24 years old at the time of his murder. Judge Richard Welch sentenced Goodwin to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 20 years of incarceration. more »
Both Defendants Claimed Mental Illness; Both Victims Attacked Without Provocation
BOSTON, June 8, 2015—Two Suffolk Superior Court juries returned murder verdicts today in the unrelated homicides of Rashad Lesley-Barnes and Amy Lord, both attacked and stabbed to death without provocation, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Within minutes – and a few hundred feet – of one another, juries convicted JAHVON GOODWIN (D.O.B. 8/26/91) of second-degree murder in Lesley-Barnes’ 2012 homicide and EDWIN ALEMANY (D.O.B. 9/2/84) of Lord’s homicide a year later. more »
BOSTON, June 8, 2015—A Dorchester man was arraigned today on motor vehicle homicide and other charges in connection with the Saturday night crash that took the life of an 8-year-old girl and seriously injured a 12-year-old boy, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMES J. HORTON (D.O.B. 4/10/70) was arraigned today in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of motor vehicle homicide, leaving the scene of an accident causing death, leaving the scene of an accident causing personal injury, operating with a suspended license, and negligent operation. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Judith Lyons, chief of the DA’s Major Felony Bureau, Judge Jonathan Tynes imposed $500,000 bail and ordered Horton to wear a GPS monitor in the event he is released on bail while the case is pending. Also at Lyons’ request, Tynes revoked Horton’s open bail on cases out of Dorchester Municipal Court and Brockton District Court. more »
BOSTON, June 8, 2015–Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks prior to releasing surveillance footage from a Roslindale business near the scene of last week’s fatal shooting of Usaamah Rahim by members of the Joint Terrorism Task Force: more »
BOSTON, June 4, 2015—A Dorchester man was sentenced to prison today for human trafficking and other offenses after he admitted exploiting a 15-year-old girl, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
DOMINIC “HAZE” TOLEDO (D.O.B. 6/12/90) today pleaded guilty to charges of human trafficking, rape of a child, deriving support from prostitution, and inducing a minor into prostitution. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke sentenced him to five to seven years in state prison followed by five years of probation. During that time, Toledo is barred from having any contact with the victim or her family; working, volunteering, residing, or having unsupervised contact with anyone under age 18; using the internet for any purpose other than employment or education; and using any social media or classified advertising website. Toledo will be required to provide the Department of Probation with passwords and encryption keys in order to allow any computer, smartphone, or device to be searched by probation and law enforcement to ensure he is in compliance with these conditions and must register as a sex offender and wear a GPS monitor. more »
BOSTON, June 3, 2015—A Framingham man accused of striking a state trooper with his car door and leading police on a high speed chase over the weekend faced arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
EDWARD HUGILL (D.O.B. 3/10/91) was arraigned in Brighton Municipal Court on charges of assault and battery on a police officer, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, failure to stop for police, operating with a suspended license, speeding, speeding to endanger, and a marked lanes violation. Assistant District Attorney Kaushal Rana requested $20,000 bail and moved to revoke Hugill’s open bail on a 2015 case out of Framingham District Court charging distribution of a Class D substance as a subsequent offense and a 2011 case out of the same court charging possession with intent to distribute a Class D substance, possession with intent to distribute a Class B substance, unlawful possession of a stun gun, and a school zone violation.
Judge Debra Shopteese set bail at $8,000 and ordered Hugill to wear a GPS monitor and undergo random drug and alcohol testing. She declined to revoke Hugill’s open bail. more »
BOSTON, June 1, 2015—An H-Block gang member was convicted of involuntary manslaughter today for causing the death of 40-year-old Kelvin Rowell, who died of an asthma attack after fleeing the defendant’s barrage of gunfire, Suffolk county District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL “FRESH” STALLINGS (D.O.B. 3/31/89) was also convicted of unlawful possession of a firearm for the 2012 incident in the area of Blue Hill Avenue and Pasadena Road. Stallings, who had been indicted for first-degree murder, was acquitted of two counts of armed assault with intent to murder. more »
BOSTON, June 1, 2015—A Charlestown boat owner was held on high bail today for allegedly operating a motorboat while intoxicated when a passenger’s arm was severed by the vessel’s propeller, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
BENJAMIN P. URBELIS (D.O.B. 2/25/82) was arraigned in the Boston Municipal Court today on charges of causing serious bodily injury while operating a boat under the influence of alcohol, negligent operation of a boat, and the civil offense of operating a motorboat with no identification number, all in connection with this weekend’s maiming of a 19-year-old Auburn woman in Boston Harbor. more »