BOSTON, Dec. 30, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans today released a report on homicides committed, solved, and adjudicated in the City of Boston this year, pointing to the special challenge posed by illegal firearms.
“No other weapon makes a homicide easier to commit or harder to solve,” Evans and Conley said in the report, which is “dedicated to the memory of all those who lost their lives to violence in the City of Boston, and to the families and loved ones they leave behind.” more »
BOSTON, Dec. 29, 2015—A second man is being sought in connection with the homicides of 66-year-old Peter Pitari and 35-year-old Cristy Johnson in a Revere apartment building earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Revere Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli said today.
VICHETH SO (D.O.B. 10/25/79) of Everett is wanted on a warrant charging him with two counts of murder and one count of armed assault with intent to murder in connection with the Dec. 10 shooting that claimed the lives of Pitari and Johnson, both of Revere, and seriously injured a 38-year-old man. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 28, 2015— A Jamaica Plain gang member was sentenced to prison today after he admitted to injuring two women when he opened fire on a rival at a crowded MBTA station earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
REGINALD PRICE (D.O.B. 2/18/96) pleaded guilty in Suffolk Superior Court to three counts of armed assault with intent to murder, two counts each of assault by means of a dangerous weapon and assault and battery by discharging a firearm, and single counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon on a person over 60, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of ammunition, all in connection with the Jan. 26 incident at Forest Hills station. more »
The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office partnered with the Department of Children and Families’ Park Street office in Dorchester to provide families served by the agency with necessities such as soaps, tooth brushes, and other wellness and beauty products. Suffolk DA staff members donated a total of 405 items that will be distributed to DCF clients. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 22, 2015—A toy drive by Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office and the Massachusetts Group Insurance Commission is putting hundreds of gifts under the tree for needy kids across Boston, Chelsea, Revere, and Winthrop.
The Group Insurance Commission’s annual toy drive this year benefitted children served by the Suffolk DA’s office, which also undertook a collection of gifts for families struggling in the aftermath of violent crime. Together, the two agencies assembled a bounty of toys, games, and clothes for kids in need. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 18, 2015—The Suffolk County Grand Jury today returned indictments charging 2-year-old Bella Bond’s mother with being an accessory after the fact to her murder, and the mother’s boyfriend with the murder itself, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The indictments charge MICHAEL PATRICK McCARTHY (D.O.B. 5/29/80) of Quincy with first-degree murder in the child’s homicide at 115 Maxwell Street in Dorchester. The indictments also charge RACHELLE DEE BOND (D.O.B. 7/25/75) of Dorchester with being an accessory after the fact to that murder and with larceny over $250 by false purposes for allegedly continuing to accept public assistance from the Department of Transitional Assistance after she knew of Bella’s death on an uncertain date in late May or early June of this year. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 18, 2015—The chief justice of the Supreme Judicial Court commended a Suffolk County prosecutor who brought to the high court’s attention an omission of testimony that went unnoticed by the trial judge and lawyers, and even the convicted defendant’s appellate attorney, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Chief Justice Ralph Gants told Assistant District Attorney Zachary Hillman that he was “acting in the highest tradition of the prosecutive trade” when Hillman informed the court that an expert witness in the murder trial of ADAM CASSINO did not testify specifically about the statistical significance of murder victim Barbara Tagen’s unique DNA profile being found on Cassino’s shoes – an omission that could have been exploited by defense counsel. The compliment came during the Dec. 11 oral arguments on Cassino’s first-degree murder conviction. more »
Announces New Chiefs of Community Outreach, Victim Services
BOSTON, Dec. 17, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the hiring of a highly-experienced prosecutor designated to work on cold case homicide investigations with Boston and State police.
John Verner, formerly of the Middlesex District Attorney’s office and Massachusetts Attorney General’s office, will take on the title of supervisor of special homicide investigations, acting as a point person for Conley’s office on unsolved homicides. He will be sworn in as a Suffolk County assistant district attorney on Jan. 4. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 16, 2015— The owner of a Brighton bar yesterday admitted to interfering with the investigation last year into the discovery of a critically injured patron outside his establishment, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JOHN ROGARIS (D.O.B. 5/13/70) yesterday pleaded guilty to charges of withholding evidence during the course of a criminal investigation, witness intimidation, and two counts of misleading an investigator, all in connection with the incident at Roggie’s, Rogaris’ Chestnut Hill Avenue bar.
Assistant District Attorney David Bradley of the DA’s Senior Trial Unit recommended a sentence of two to three years in state prison followed by five years of probation. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Peter Krupp sentenced Rogaris to two years in the house of correction, suspended for a probationary period of two years, during which time he must complete 200 hours of community service. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 15, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and a group of Boston’s elected officials yesterday gathered at an East Boston middle school to honor students graduating from anti-violence training.
Conley, Senator Anthony Petruccelli, Representative Adrian Madaro, and Boston City Councilor Sal LaMattina yesterday spoke to 29 seventh graders at Mario Umana Academy, who had completed the six-week Overcoming Violence curriculum offered through Conley’s office. Each student received a certificate of achievement for their successful completion of the course.
Overcoming Violence uses an interview documentary, site visits, group discussions, and guest speakers – including Suffolk prosecutors and victim-witness advocates, police officers, and corrections officers – to educate students about the root causes of violence as well as the long-term consequences of both positive and negative decisions. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 14, 2015—Local and state law enforcement and civic leaders joined together today at the unveiling of a new billboard pushing federal lawmakers to adopt the same common-sense firearm legislation that have made Massachusetts’ gun deaths some of the lowest in the nation.
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley cited a 2013 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association that showed a strong correlation between the strength of a state’s gun laws and its rate of firearm-related fatalities – Massachusetts was at the top of the list for legislative strength and the bottom of the list for overall gun deaths. But hundreds of crime guns are transported from states with lax laws into Massachusetts each year, undercutting the efforts of legislators and law enforcement alike. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 14, 2015— Two men were ordered held without bail today in connection with separate murders in the City of Revere, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL DeLEON (D.O.B. 4/23/79) of Lynn was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on charges he shot and killed Peter Pitari, 66, and Cristy Johnson, 35, both of Revere, and seriously wounded a 38-year-old man. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 11, 2015—A gang associate and repeat gun offender was sentenced to up to seven years in state prison today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Wednesday convicted STEVEN E. STEPHEN (D.O.B. 4/3/90) of Dorchester of unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. Jurors in that trial, however, did not hear of Stephen’s 2009 convictions for those same offenses. Stephen was initially sentenced to 18 months in a house of correction and two years of probation on those charges, but violated his probation and served out an additional year. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 11, 2015—Revere Police and State Police detectives assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office and Revere Police have charged a Lynn man with a shooting that left two people dead and one seriously wounded last night, Chief Joseph Cafarelli and District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL DeLEON (D.O.B. 4/23/79) of Lynn was arrested this afternoon. He is expected to be arraigned Monday in Chelsea District Court. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 9, 2015—Local, state, and federal authorities intercepted the delivery of more than 200 grams of cocaine shipped from Colombia and took a Randolph man into custody for drug trafficking, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Boston Police, Massachusetts State Police assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office, and US Immigrations and Customs Enforcement agents yesterday arrested NONSO OBIORA (D.O.B. 5/30/87) after he took possession of the cocaine, which had been secreted in Christmas-themed package sent via UPS. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 8, 2015—A Dorchester woman was held without bail today at her arraignment for allegedly stabbing her live-in boyfriend to death early this morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
VALERIE CIRILO-PEREZ (D.O.B. 11/18/90) was arraigned on a single count of murder for the fatal stabbing of 28-year-old Anthony Sinclair in their Nightingale Street residence. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 7, 2015—Eighteen-year-old Jonathan Reyes was shot to death in South Boston almost three years ago because he undertook drug sales that interfered with established dealers in the area, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said today.
JONATHAN MATOS (D.O.B. 1/1/89) of Mattapan was arraigned today on charges of first-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of a large-capacity feeding device in connection with Reyes’ 2013 homicide. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Mark Zanini, Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary D. Wilson ordered Matos held without bail. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 7, 2015—A Mattapan drug dealer is charged with multiple drug offenses after Boston Police recovered large quantities of fentanyl and cocaine when they executed a search warrant based on multiple undercover drug buys, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
TYRONE WILSON (D.O.B. 8/21/86) was arraigned Dec. 2 in Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of trafficking in a Class B substance for 19 grams of powder and crack cocaine and possession of a Class B substance with intent to distribute for 11 grams of fentanyl, all recovered in his Regis Street home.
“Massachusetts had the second highest number of fentanyl seizures in the country last year,” Conley said. “It’s a major concern for police, prosecutors, and public health officials.” more »
BOSTON, Dec. 7, 2015—The families of Victor Otoadese and Sean Repetto remembered the two young men shot dead three years ago as their one-time friend was sentenced to two consecutive life terms, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Tearful victim impact statements were delivered this morning as KEON MONTEIRO (D.O.B. 3/19/89) was sentenced on two counts of second-degree murder and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm in connection with the Nov. 28, 2012, homicides. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 4, 2015—A suspect in the shooting death of 18-year-old Jonathan Reyes almost three years ago was arrested today after he was indicted for murder, Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and announced.
Boston Police arrested JONATHAN MATOS (D.O.B. 1/1/89) of Mattapan this afternoon, shortly after the Suffolk County Grand Jury returned indictments charging him with first-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, and unlawful possession of a large-capacity feeding device. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 4, 2015—The man who gunned down Victor Otoadese and Sean Repetto in broad daylight three years ago was convicted of their murders today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
After seven days of testimony and five days of deliberations, a Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted KEON MONTEIRO (D.O.B. 3/19/89) of two counts of second-degree murder and one count of unlawful possession of a firearm. He faces a mandatory life term when he is sentenced Monday morning. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 3, 2015— A Dorchester youth has been indicted for fatally stabbing 17-year-old Mason Raymond at an MBTA station, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk County grand jury yesterday returned an indictment charging RONALDO CEPEDA (D.O.B. 3/3/99) with second-degree murder in connection with Raymond’s Oct. 22 killing during a confrontation at Jackson Square MBTA station. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 3, 2015— Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley this week sent letters to U.S. Senators and Congressmen representing Suffolk County asking the legislators to support a bill that would prevent known and suspected terrorists from lawfully purchasing firearms.
In letters to Senators Elizabeth Warren and Edward Markey and Representatives Stephen F. Lynch and Michael E. Capuano, Conley urged each to support S.551/H.R.1076, the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act of 2015. The legislation would allow the Attorney General to deny the transfer of firearms or issuance of firearms and explosives licenses to individuals on terror watch lists. Under current law, these known and suspected terrorists are barred from flying but not from legally purchasing weapons. Conley and other district attorneys across the country have contacted lawmakers asking them to pass S.551/H.R.1076 in order to close this dangerous loophole in the law. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 2, 2015— A Suffolk County jury today convicted a Mattapan man of motor vehicle homicide in the death of 48-year-old Walter Harris but could not reach a verdict on a more serious charge of manslaughter by motor vehicle, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DERVIN HIBBERT (D.O.B. 1/6/61) was convicted of the charge of motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence of alcohol in connection with the Nov. 23, 2013, crash that claimed Harris’ life. Jurors in Hibbert’s Suffolk Superior Court trial could not reach a unanimous verdict on the charge of manslaughter while operating a motor vehicle under the influence of an intoxicating liquor under Ch. 265, Sect. 13½, popularly known as Melanie’s Law. A mistrial was declared with regard to the charge. more »
BOSTON, Dec. 1, 2015—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley hosted a sold-out screening of the award-winning documentary Can You Dig This tonight, telling attendees that the inspirational film offered ideas for alternative sentencing options in the criminal justice system.
Conley hosted the film in a 200-seat auditorium at the Loews Boston Common theater – one of the largest venues in the country for the independent film, which follows four urban gardeners in South Central Los Angeles who bring splashes of unexpected beauty and a wealth of healthy food to their community. more »