Press Releases from 2016
Feb 29, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 29, 2016—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today released video and audio recordings from the incident during which PETER FANFAN, 29, was fatally injured during a gunfight with police officers responding to a call for a person shot.

During a meeting with prosecutors assigned to the case, members of Fanfan’s family reviewed the recordings and asked that they be withheld from public view until after his funeral this past weekend. As with other cases in which video evidence has been released, Conley’s office agreed to that request. more »


Feb 29, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 29, 2016—A suspect in the shooting death of 17-year-old D’Andre King-Settles was arraigned today following his arrest this weekend by Boston Police homicide detectives, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

TSUNAMI ORTIZ (D.O.B. 12/21/98) is charged with murder in the Dec. 18, 2015, encounter that claimed King-Settles’ life. He is additionally charged with two counts of armed assault with intent to murder reflecting shots fired at two surviving victims, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for a grazing injury to one of them, and firearms offenses. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Catherine Ham, Roxbury Municipal Court Judge David Weingarten ordered him held without bail. more »


Feb 29, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 29, 2016—The man found deceased on Cottage Street yesterday morning has been identified as a Chelsea resident, and Chelsea Police Chief and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley are asking for the public’s help in determining the circumstances of his death.

The man was identified as 34-year-old Alex Perez, also known as Alex Perez-Lapop. Chelsea Police officers in the area for an unrelated call were approached just before 5:00 am by a witness who stated that there was an unresponsive male on the sidewalk near 83 Cottage St. Officers responded to the scene, attempted to provide medical assistance, and called for emergency medical services. more »


Feb 26, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 26, 2016—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today affirmed a lower court’s ruling that a repeat drug dealer’s convictions for possessing a loaded .45 caliber semiautomatic Glock handgun were unaffected by the reversal of drug convictions compromised by a rogue former chemist at a Department of Public Health laboratory, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The eight-page decision by Justices Judd Carhartt, Cynthia Cohen, and Jeffrey Kinder rejected the appeal by LARRY BLUE (D.O.B. 7/14/67) of Dorchester on his 2010 conviction for unlawful possession of a firearm as a third offense. Blue is currently serving a 10-year state prison term on that conviction. more »


Feb 25, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 25, 2016—A Dorchester man was sentenced to state prison last week after he admitted to selling two women for sexual services, including one who died as the case was heading to trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Suffolk Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Locke sentenced RASHAUN HENDREN (D.O.B. 3/31/92) to four to five years in state prison – the term recommended by prosecutors – after his guilty plea to deriving support from prostitution on Feb. 17, one day before his trial was set to begin. The charge carries a maximum term of five years. more »


Feb 23, 2016

Milagros “Millie” Alvarado, Age 37, Disappeared from Worcester County in 1994

BOSTON, Feb. 23, 2016—The woman whose skeletal remains were discovered in a wooded area in Boston more than 20 years ago has been identified as a Fitchburg woman, and police and prosecutors in both jurisdictions are working jointly to determine the circumstances leading to her death. more »


Feb 23, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 23, 2016—An East Boston man who drove for a ride-share service was convicted of assaulting a female passenger in his vehicle, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Abderrahim Dakiri (D.O.B 3/29/1984) waived his right to a jury trial in the 2015 incident for which he was charged with indecent assault and battery. After a bench trial Friday, Boston Municipal Court Judge Michael Coyne found him guilty of the lesser included offense of assault and battery and sentenced him to two years of probation. Coyne ordered Dakiri to stay away from the victim, her workplace, and the campuses of her Boston-area university. If he fails to comply with that order, or if he re-offends, he could be sentenced to up to two and a half years in a house of correction. more »


Feb 22, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 22, 2016—A 16-year-old Dorchester youth was arraigned on a murder charge today for the stabbing death of 15-year-old Deon Hopkins yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

AMARI POPE (D.O.B. 10/5/99) was arraigned this afternoon in Dorchester Municipal Court. Assistant District Attorney Gregory Henning of the DA’s Senior Trial Unit recommended that he be held without bail. Judge Serge Georges granted that request. more »


Feb 19, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 19, 2016— An appellate court ruled today that a Dorchester man will not receive a new trial for his role in the stabbing death of Joel Turner during a 2001 home invasion – and for another drug-related robbery he committed at the same address three weeks earlier, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

RYAN CONWAY (D.O.B. 8/20/78) pleaded guilty in 2003 to one count of second-degree murder, four counts of home invasion, and six counts of armed assault in a dwelling.  In an unpublished decision issued today, the Massachusetts Appeals Court affirmed lower court denials of his motions to withdraw those pleas and seek a new trial.  Conway is currently serving a life sentence with the possibility of parole after 15 years, plus concurrent sentences totaling 20 to 22 years, for the Jan. 31, 2001, home invasion in which Turner was killed and an additional home invasion at the same address weeks earlier. more »


Feb 18, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 18, 2016—A Charlestown man was sentenced to two years behind bars this week for refusing to provide information during a grand jury investigation into the 2014 murder of Ryan Morrissey, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

DANIEL GOGGIN (D.O.B. 9/24/94) pleaded guilty Tuesday as his trial on one count of criminal contempt of court was scheduled to begin.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Montez Haywood of the DA’s Senior Trial Unit, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Edward P. Leibensperger sentenced him to two years in the house of corrections. more »


Feb 12, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2016—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley has designated Assistant District Attorney John Verner to lead his office’s independent investigation into today’s use of lethal force by a Boston Police officer responding to a call for a person shot.

“Our priority is to conduct a full, fair, thorough investigation,” Conley said. “When it’s complete, we will release all our findings and the complete investigative file in the interests of total transparency. For now, we’re giving the investigators the time and the tools they need to do the job right.” more »


Feb 12, 2016

Judge Finds Defense Lawyer Had Conflict of Interest; Integrity of Verdict Not at Issue

BOSTON, Feb. 12, 2016—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley has filed a notice of appeal after a judge granted a motion for a new trial by the man who murdered 10-year-old Trina Persad with a shotgun blast to the face, finding that one of the killer’s attorneys had a conflict of interest at the time of the 2009 trial that ended with his conviction.

“We disagree in the strongest possible terms with this decision,” Conley said. “We will argue that its legal and factual foundations are so flawed as to warrant reversal.” more »


Feb 11, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 11, 2016—As part of his commitment to diversity and inclusion, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the creation of a diversity fellowship open to law school students interested in serving their community as prosecutors.

Conley’s newly created Diversity Fellowship Program for Law Students is now accepting applications with the goal of welcoming fellows to the office in Summer 2016.  Fellows will be assigned an attorney mentor and will work alongside prosecutors and victim witness advocates in Conley’s office while helping achieve the DA’s mission of serving victims and communities while upholding the highest level of integrity, fairness, and ethics.  more »


Feb 10, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2016—A Chelsea woman faces life in prison after a jury found her guilty of intentionally setting the fire that killed 20-year-old Crystal Lynn Blanchard on Christmas Eve in 2010, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury this afternoon convicted MELISSA PFEIFFER (D.O.B. 1/12/84) of second-degree murder under the theory of felony murder, as well as one count of arson and two counts of causing injury to a firefighter as a result of criminal conduct.  At her sentencing on March 21, Pfeiffer faces the mandatory term for the offense of second-degree murder of life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years. more »


Feb 10, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2016—A three-month investigation by State Police assisted by Boston Police, Revere Police, and a Drug Enforcement Administration task force led to the recovery of a handgun and almost five pounds of narcotics from alleged drug traffickers operating in Boston and Revere, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JORGE LUIS MENDEZ-BAEZ (D.O.B. 9/23/89) of Mattapan and LUIS MEDINA-FELICIANO (D.O.B. 8/25/75) of the South End were arraigned today in Chelsea District Court. Mendez-Baez was charged with distribution of a Class B substance, trafficking in more than 200 grams of a Class B substance, three counts of trafficking in a Class A substance, and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws. Medina-Feliciano was charged with distribution of a Class B substance as a second or subsequent offense, trafficking in a Class A substance, and conspiracy to violate the state’s drug laws. more »


Feb 5, 2016

Two More Face Arraignment on Future Dates

 

BOSTON, Feb. 5, 2016—Five men were arraigned today after they allegedly contacted Boston Police detectives in an online prostitution sting, and two more face arraignment at a later date, Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The following men were arrested yesterday on charges of seeking to engage in sex for a fee and arraigned today in the Boston Municipal Court:

  1. CHRISTOPHER OTERO (D.O.B. 7/1/91) of Revere;
  2. HARVEY SHAPIRO (D.O.B. 12/31/52) of Needham;
  3. ROBERT P. SMITH (D.O.B. 2/18/40) of Back Bay;
  4. JOSHUA STERNSTEIN (D.O.B. 5/14/83) of Boston; and
  5. BRAD WATKINS (D.O.B. 9/26/76) of Dorchester

more »


Feb 4, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 4, 2016—A Roxbury man was arraigned today in connection with an armed robbery after he was identified in part through distinctive footwear that he allegedly attempted to flush down the toilet of a courthouse lockup, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

RANDY BROXTON (D.O.B. 5/23/85) was arraigned today in Roxbury Municipal Court on a charge of armed robbery while masked connection with the Dec. 27 robbery of a Dudley Street market.  Assistant District Attorney Alexandra Halprin requested bail of $35,000.  Judge Kenneth Fiandaca set $25,000 bail and ordered Broxton to wear a GPS monitor, remain within Massachusetts, stay away from the location of the robbery and stay away and have no contact with the victim in the event he is released on bail.  more »


Feb 3, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 3, 2015—A South End man was identified as a suspect in the 2014 stabbing death of Santo Bernabel, whose body was found inside a burning building, after DNA at the scene matched his genetic profile and a GPS monitor refuted his alibi, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

VICTOR MONTES-SEVERINO (D.O.B. 3/23/94) was arraigned in Roxbury Municipal Court today after Boston Police homicide detectives obtained a warrant charging him with murder in Bernabel’s Oct. 14, 2014, homicide. He was ordered held without bail. more »


Feb 3, 2016

BOSTON, Feb. 3, 2015—A West Roxbury man was sentenced today for causing a collision that left one of his passengers in a wheelchair and the driver of a second vehicle with catastrophic injuries that left him unable to walk, talk, or even feed himself, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A Brighton Municipal Court jury last month convicted NIKOLAS PAPADOPOULOS (D.O.B. 4/8/95) of negligent operation of a motor vehicle for the crash that he caused by driving at almost twice the speed limit along the Arborway on Sept. 6, 2013. The Jan. 19 verdict came after about three days of trial and less than a day of deliberations. The proceedings were held in Brighton because of ongoing construction near the West Roxbury courthouse that normally has jurisdiction over the location of the crash. more »