Press Releases from 2017
Jan 31, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 31, 2017— Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the arrest of a Dedham man in the June murder of 31-year-old Marcus Hall inside a Mattapan barber shop.

Early this morning members of the Boston Police Fugitive Unit, along with US Marshals and New York City Police Department, arrested WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (D.O.B. 10/12/87) of Dedham for Hall’s June 14 murder. Conley’s office had secured a four-count indictment against Shakespeare late last year following an extensive presentation to the Suffolk County Grand Jury.  Shakespeare was taken into custody in the Bronx, New York, without incident and will face extradition back to Boston in the coming days. more »


Jan 23, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2017—The man accused of planting an improvised explosive device next to a Boston Police cruiser parked on a busy South Boston bridge was held on high bail at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

ASIM KIETA (D.O.B. 10/30/1974), who has no fixed address, was arraigned on charges of assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a police officer, unlawful possession of an incendiary device, and arson today for the explosion on Friday morning along a portion of West Broadway above the South Boston Bypass Road. more »


Jan 19, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 19, 2017—A Revere Police officer was arraigned today on charges of physically abusing a young child, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MARCOS R. GARCIA (DOB 12/4/84) of Saugus was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on charges of assault and battery on a child causing injury and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Alissa Goldhaber, Judge Michael Patten set bail in the amount of $5,000 and ordered Garcia to stay away from and have no contact with the victims and witnesses in the case and have no contact with children under the age of 18, except his own child, without the knowledge of a parent or guardian.  more »


Jan 18, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 18, 2017–Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today released the following statement on the Supreme Judicial Court’s decision in Bridgeman v. District Attorney, aka “Bridgeman II,” stemming from former chemist Annie Dookhan’s wrongdoing at a Department of Public Health drug testing facility:

“Today’s SJC decision is consistent with an uninterrupted series of rulings that prosecutors are best situated to assess the viability of their cases.  Since the Scott decision in 2013, the high court has rejected mass dismissal as a remedy to Annie Dookhan’s misconduct, and it has done so once again.  In the weeks to come, we’ll consider the quality of the evidence, the availability of our witnesses, and the relative seriousness of each specific case in terms of public safety, public health, and public policy.  But that approach is not a new one: it’s our practice every day, in every case, in every courthouse in Suffolk County.”

Today’s decision followed the 2015 decision in Bridgeman I, in which the SJC declined to order the mass dismissal of Dookhan-related cases and established that defendants who challenged their convictions on those cases would not face harsher penalties or sentences if and when they are re-convicted after doing so.

 

–30–

 

All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.


Jan 17, 2017

CHELSEA, Jan. 17, 2017—The youth shot and killed in Chelsea on Friday has been identified as 15-year-old Jimmy Vasquez, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said today.

Vasquez, a resident of Chelsea, suffered a fatal gunshot wound during an incident on Shurtleff Street at approximately 5:35 Friday evening. He was rushed to CHA Everett Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. A second youth, also 15, suffered a nonfatal gunshot injury and is expected to survive. more »


Jan 14, 2017

CHELSEA, Jan. 14, 2017–State Police assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office and Chelsea Police detectives continue to investigate a double shooting yesterday evening that claimed one teen’s life and injured another, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said today.

The shooting at approximately 5:35 pm on Shurtleff Street left the 15-year-old homicide victim with mortal injuries. He was rushed to Whidden Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. His name is not currently being released pending full family notifications. A second youth, also 15, suffered less serious injuries and is expected to survive. more »


Jan 12, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 12, 2017—A West Roxbury couple were ordered held on high bail at their arraignment today on human trafficking charges for allegedly running a house of prostitution in Allston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

During their arraignment today in Suffolk Superior Court, Clerk Magistrate Edward Curley ordered YUET CHOW (D.O.B. 9/9/63) and KIM CHOW (D.O.B. 9/18/48) each held on $500,000 bail – an amount previously set in Brighton Municipal Court.  more »


Jan 11, 2017

BOSTON, Jan. 11, 2017—A Georgia man who worked with underage performers was sentenced to prison today after pleading guilty to secretly recording them in hotel rooms, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

WILLIAM H. ALLEN (D.O.B. 9/8/52) of Athens, Georgia, appeared in Suffolk Superior Court for sentencing today after pleading guilty to two counts each of secretly photographing sexual or intimate parts of a child and possession of child pornography.  Judge Mary Ames sentenced Allen to two years in state prison followed by 10 years of probation.  During that time, Allen is barred from residing or having unsupervised contact with anyone under 18 and from taking part in any employment or volunteer activity that would put him in contact with anyone under age 18.  He must also stay away and have no contact with his victims, undergo a psychiatric evaluation, and complete any treatment deemed necessary, including sex offender treatment. more »


Jan 10, 2017

BOSTON, January 10, 2017—A Level 3 sex offender was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing at his arraignment today on charges he assaulted two women during a break-in, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

RONALD BROWN (D.O.B. 3/20/64), who lists the Pine Street Inn as he primary residence, was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of indecent assault and battery, evidence tampering, assault for the purposes of racial intimidation, burglary with assault, and two counts each of aggravated rape, robbery, kidnapping, and witness intimidation.

Brown is additionally charged as a habitual offender and with aggravated rape as a second offense as a result of his prior convictions. According to prosecutors, Brown was convicted in Suffolk Superior Court in 1986 of aggravated rape, burglary, and other offenses for attacking a woman during a similar incident; he was sentenced to 18 to 25 years in state prison for those offenses.  In 2013, prosecutors said, he was convicted of multiple counts of juror intimidation for an incident that occurred during a separate trial at Worcester Superior Court.

At the request of Assistant District Attorney Ian Polumbaum, chief of the DA’s Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Unit, Clerk Magistrate Anne Kaczmarek ordered that Brown continue to be held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing under Chapter 276, Section 58A, of the Massachusetts General Laws. The statute allows a judge to hold a defendant accused of certain offenses without bail for up to 120 days pending trial upon “clear and convincing evidence that no conditions of release will reasonably assure the safety of any other person or the community.” That hearing is scheduled to take place Jan. 17. more »