BOSTON, July 9, 2012—An East Boston man was held on high bail today after his arraignment for allegedly shooting two men during a conflict in Chelsea last week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JUAN MONTALVO (D.O.B. 2/6/83) is charged with two counts of armed assault with intent to murder and unlawful possession of a firearm for the Tuesday night incident on Shawmut Street. Judge D. Dunbar Livingston set Montalvo’s bail at $250,000 cash.
Both shooting victims are 30-year-old Chelsea men. One remains hospitalized after multiple surgeries and the other was less seriously injured. Both are expected to survive.
Assistant District Attorney David Bradley of Conley’s Major Felony Bureau told the court that one of the shooting victims had become engaged in an earlier physical altercation with another person in the area of 100 Shawmut St. That person left the area and contacted a relative. The relative, Bradley said, notified Montalvo of what happened.
At about 10:40 pm, Bradley said, Montalvo arrived at the Shawmut Street scene. A short time later, the victim came outside accompanied by friends. Montalvo engaged him in a brief conversation before allegedly shooting him in the chest. That man’s friends are said to have jumped on him, with one sustaining a grazing gunshot wound before the assailant was disarmed.
Montalvo allegedly fled the scene and the more seriously injured victim made his way to a nearby pizza shop, where Chelsea Police and emergency medical technicians responded moments later.
Chelsea Police recovered the firearm a short distance from the scene of the shooting after the victims’ associates pointed it out. Montalvo was arrested Thursday night after further investigation and multiple witness interviews throughout the intervening 48 hours.
Montalvo was represented by attorney Marcy Levington. He will return to court next month.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.