BOSTON, June 19, 2013—A Medford man who had been living in the Mission Hill area was arraigned today for the second of two sexual assaults within an hour of one another early Saturday morning, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
PATRICK BARRY (D.O.B. 5/26/92) was arraigned in West Roxbury District Court on charges of assault with intent to rape and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. Assistant District Attorney Courtney Doherty recommended that Barry be held on $100,000 bail. Judge Kathleen Coffey set bail at $20,000.
Doherty also recommended an order that Barry abide by a 7:00 p.m. curfew; stay away from Mission Hill, Northeastern University, and the Huntington Avenue apartment in which he had been living while attending school; and have no contact with any victims or witnesses in the case. Doherty also requested a protective order keeping the identities and personal information of the two victims secret. Coffey granted the requested orders but amended the curfew to 9:00 p.m.
Barry’s arraignment today in West Roxbury follows his arraignment Monday on similar charges in Roxbury District Court, where prosecutors recommended $250,000 bail and a judge imposed $30,000.
The two cases stem from separate attacks on Mission Hill early Saturday morning in which the female victims were ambushed by a man who attacked them from behind with a knife.
The first attack took place at about 2:00 in the area of Huntington Avenue and Vancouver Street. In that case, the victim reported that her assailant jumped from a group of bushes, grabbed her from behind, and attempted to sexually assault her. She suffered multiple lacerations from the assailant’s knife. The assailant took her purse and cell phone before she was able to flee.
This woman described her attacker as a white male in his 20s, about 6’ tall, with light brown or dark blond hair, wearing a blue plaid shirt and khaki shorts.
The second attack took place at about 2:50 in the area of Huntington Avenue and Parker Hill Avenue. In that case, the victim reported that she was grabbed from behind and knocked to the ground. The assailant had a knife, which injured her during the attack. The victim screamed and the assailant fled the scene.
This woman described her attacker as a white male in his 20s with brown hair wearing a white or gray hooded sweatshirt and jeans.
Barry was first identified with the assistance of individuals who contacted investigators after surveillance images were released to the public, prosecutors said. The witnesses told police that Barry was bleeding from cuts to his face in the early hours of Sunday morning and that he claimed to have sustained when he was confronted by a knife-wielding attacker whom he fought off using his own knife, prosecutors said. He was initially charged only with the first of the two attacks.
Yesterday, after recovering additional evidence through the execution of a search warrant and after additional interviews with the victims and witnesses, investigators obtained an additional complaint charging Barry with the second of the two attacks, as well.
Barry is represented by Carlton Williams. His next scheduled court date is in Roxbury court on July 8.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.