BOSTON, July 3, 2013—A man who previously served time in prison for shooting a youth football coach at practice was arraigned alongside an associate this week after they allegedly shot a man on Friday evening, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
TABARI MUHAMMAD (D.O.B. 12/13/91) and DAQUADRY NORMAN (D.O.B. 4/25/92), both of Roxbury, were arraigned Monday in Roxbury District Court on charges of assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, unlawful firearm possession, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building.
Because of their prior records, each was additionally charged as a Level I armed career criminal.
At the age of 15, Norman shot and wounded a Pop Warner football coach in front of a group of 10-year-old players. The 2007 shooting was preceded by a brief encounter between Norman and the victim in which the victim’s vehicle clipped Norman’s unleashed pit bull. Though Norman was a juvenile at the time, Conley’s office indicted him under the state’s youthful offender statute, exposing him to the same penalties as an adult and opening his case to the public. He was sentenced to five years in state prison.
Muhammad was convicted of armed robbery in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, in 2008.
Assistant District Attorney Thomas Costello requested that each defendant be held on $250,000 bail. Judge David Weingarten set bail for each at $100,000 and revoked Muhammad’s open bail on a Roxbury District Court case charging him with receiving stolen property and a license plate violation. If Norman or Muhammad make bail, they will be under house arrest, must wear a GPS monitor, and are ordered to stay away and have no contact with the victim.
According to prosecutors, Boston Police officers assigned to the Youth Violence Strike Force were en route to the scene of a shooting at 8 Fenno St. shortly before 6:00 p.m. Friday when they spotted a gray Ford on Wakullah Street that had reportedly fled the scene of the shooting.
Upon turning from Washington Street onto Wakullah Street, officers observed a shirtless man later identified as Norman running between yards. One officer exited the cruiser and was able to apprehend Norman in the area of 74 Rockland St, prosecutors said.
A second officer continued driving on Rockland Street and saw Muhammad being pursued by a private security guard assigned to patrol the St. Joseph’s housing development. Muhammad was able to enter 76 Rockland St. and lock the door behind him, prosecutors said.
A SWAT team and crisis negotiator responded to the scene and searched 76 and 74 Rockland St. Muhammad was found by a K9 unit hiding inside a small crawl space of 74 Rockland St., prosecutors said. In the process of forcing his way into the crawl space, Muhammad allegedly damaged a sewer pipe and his clothing was contaminated by the sewage.
Prosecutors said investigators were able to recover surveillance images from the area of the shooting at 8 Fenno St. that depicts Norman and Muhammad emerge from behind an ice cream truck and walk a distance on Fenno Street before stopping and raising their arms. Panicked bystanders are then seen running in different directions, leading police to believe that Norman and Muhammad were the shooters, prosecutors said. Nine shell casings were recovered.
The victim of that shooting, a 19-year-old Roxbury man, suffered a gunshot wound to the torso and was transported to Boston Medical Center.
Norman was represented for bail purposes by Krista Larsen. Muhammad was represented for bail purposes by Samuel Higer. Both will return to court on July 31.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.