Man Pleads Guilty in Fatal Chelsea Stabbing

BOSTON, Nov. 19, 2012—A Honduras native will serve 15 years behind bars for stabbing Daniel Hernandez-Martinez to death in a fight last year and could face an additional 15 years if he re-enters the United States illegally within 10 years after his expected deportation, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

OSCAR GUTTIEREZ-NUNES (D.O.B. 2/11/84), most recently of Chelsea, today pleaded guilty to the crime of manslaughter for Hernandez-Martinez’ death and two counts of aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for stabbing two of the slain man’s friends during a March 4, 2011, conflict on Everett Avenue.

At the request of Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Christine McEvoy sentenced Guttierez to 15 years in state prison for Hernandez-Martinez’ death and three years in state prison for stabbing one of the surviving victims. She placed his conviction for the second non-fatal stabbing on file for a period of 10 years beginning upon his release from prison and anticipated deportation, warning Guttierez-Nunes that he could face the maximum penalty of 15 years for that offense if he re-enters the United States illegally during that time.

Hernandez-Martinez’ father was present for today’s proceedings but did not address the court. He did, however, ask Broadbent to relay a message to the court: That he hoped the defendant served the entirety of the sentence and that he “never hurts anyone again.”

Guttierez-Nunes today admitted that he and a group of friends encountered Hernandez-Martinez, 24, and his friends, ages 19 and 29, at the Acapulco Lounge in Chelsea on the night of March 3, 2011, and became involved in a verbal altercation. He also admitted that he and his friends were ejected from the bar later that night but crossed paths with the victim’s party early on the morning of March 4.

Prosecutors say Hernandez-Martinez’ group left the bar and drove a short distance before spotting Guttierez-Nunes’ party in another vehicle. After another exchange of words, the victim’s group stopped their car and two men got out with beer bottles. The defendant admitted to getting out of his car and, after a sudden physical confrontation, stabbing them. He also admitted stabbing a third victim as that victim ran from the scene.

One of the surviving victims re-entered the victims’ vehicle and drove it toward Guttierez-Nunes, hitting him. He and Hernandez-Martinez were transported to area hospitals, where the driver survived but Martinez-Hernandez succumbed to his injuries. The third victim admitted himself to the hospital also and was treated and released.

Guttierez-Nunes returned to his Chelsea home, changed his clothes, and admitted himself to Whidden Memorial Hospital under a false name. By this time, Chelsea Police and State Police homicide detectives assigned to Conley’s office had begun the investigation into Hernandez-Martinez’ death and quickly zeroed in on him. He was arrested later that afternoon and has been held without bail since then.

Michael Schultz was the DA’s assigned victim-witness advocate on the case. The defendant was represented by attorney Scott Curtis.


All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.