South End Murder Defendant Behind Bars

A South End man has been held without bail following his arrest in Texas and arraignment in a Boston courtroom for the shooting death of Raymond Lemar earlier this summer, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.

Acting on a request by Assistant District Attorney Masai-Maliek King, Boston Municipal Court Judge Franco Gobourne ordered ANTHONY THAMES (D.O.B. 2/22/83) held without bail pending trial. Thames was arraigned this morning on charges of murder and unlawful possession of a firearm.

King told the court that Thames was inside a black sport utility vehicle that pulled into a gas station at the intersection of East Berkeley and Albany streets in the early morning hours of Aug. 6. Thames allegedly exited that vehicle wearing a red shirt with white lettering and waved a gun at a group of people there.

Thames got back into the SUV, which drove around the block, King said. When it reached the intersection of East Berkeley and Harrison Avenue, Thames allegedly leaned out and fired multiple shots from a 9mm handgun. Lemar was struck. He ran a short distance before collapsing in front of 405 Harrison Ave., where he was pronounced dead of his injuries.

Using a partial license plate number, Boston Police homicide detectives obtained the registration information for the SUV’s owner. That person is an associate of Thames. After obtaining a search warrant, investigators went to that person’s residence, searched it, and found the murder weapon and the red shirt the assailant had worn.

Outside the residence was the SUV in which Thames had travelled. Near the vehicle was a single round of 9mm ammunition. Boston Police obtained a warrant to search the vehicle, and inside they located Thames’ identification card.

Based on that evidence and additional information gathered in the days that followed, Suffolk prosecutors approved a warrant charging Thames with murder. Despite their best efforts, however, authorities could not locate him until late September, when he was located in Texas.

With the assistance of US Marshals and the Montgomery County, Texas, Sheriff’s office, members of the Boston Police Fugitive and Apprehension Unit took Thames into custody in a trailer park in Conroe, Texas, on Sept. 20. Thames was returned to Boston this weekend.

Thams was represented today by attorney Thomas Ford. He will return to court on Nov. 17.