BOSTON, Nov. 28, 2012—A Roxbury teen arrested this morning has been ordered held without bail after being formally charged with the murder of Andre Matthew last month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RASHAWN CLARK (D.O.B. 12/19/94) was additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm, and unlawfully discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building, all in connection with Matthew’s fatal shooting on the afternoon of Oct. 1.
Assistant District Attorney Amy Galatis recommended that Clark be held without bail pending trial. Roxbury District Court Judge David Poole granted that request.
“After an extensive investigation it has been revealed that earlier [on Oct. 1], the defendant Rashawn Clark and others specifically sought out Mr. Matthew with the intent to shoot him,” Galatis told the court.
Galatis said cell tower records, video surveillance footage, and other evidence suggest that Clark was called to the area, where he met and joined with others to find Matthew. Galatis said he shot Matthew once in the head before fleeing and was identified out of a number of suspects as the one who fled the scene of the shooting with a gun in his hand.
Matthew, also 17 and a Roxbury resident, was transported to Boston Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injury.
Clark is represented by attorney James Greenberg. He will return to court on Dec. 27.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.