Alleged Revere Beach Flasher Arraigned

BOSTON, Aug. 21, 2013—A Winthrop man was arraigned this week on an array of charges for allegedly exposing himself to a father and son inside a Revere Beach bath house, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

CLIFFORD AVERY (D.O.B. 2/14/69) was arraigned Monday in Chelsea District Court on charges of assault, open and gross lewdness, lewd and lascivious behavior, indecent exposure, disorderly conduct, resisting arrest, and trespassing.  Assistant District Attorney Andrew Miller requested that Avery be held on $10,000 bail and be ordered to wear a GPS monitor, not leave the state, and remain alcohol free while his case is pending.

Miller also requested orders that Avery report to the State Police barracks in Revere in order to complete the booking process, which was interrupted when Avery allegedly urinated throughout the booking room, and that that Avery be ordered to reimburse State Police for the cost of having the room cleaned by biohazard cleaning specialists.

Chelsea District Court Judge Emily A. Karstetter set bail in the amount of $1,000 and imposed most of the requested conditions but declined to order restitution for the cost of cleaning the booking room.

According to prosecutors, State Police were called to the Shirley Avenue Bath House at approximately 5:40 p.m. Saturday.  As they approached, a trooper was flagged down by an employee of the Department of Conservation and Recreation and directed to the rear of a vacant building where another DCR worker was attempting to make contact with Avery.  Prosecutors said he appeared heavily intoxicated.

When Avery saw the trooper approach, he climbed over a fence and onto the nearby MBTA tracks before attempting to hide in bushes in the area of the Garfield School, prosecutors said.  He then walked back onto the tracks, removed his pants, and lay down, prosecutors said.  Fortunately, MBTA service had already been stopped and power to the tracks shut down at the request of State Police.

With the assistance of additional troopers, Avery was placed under arrest after a struggle.

Troopers spoke with the victim, who stated that he and his son were inside the bath house’s bathroom when he asked Avery to stop using profanity in front of his child.  Avery became verbally abusive and attempted to force his way into a bathroom stall that the victims were inside, the man said.  When the victims emerged, Avery allegedly exposed himself and made obscene comments. As the man shielded his son and exited the bath house, Avery attempted to physically assault the man, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said Avery was verbally abusive to troopers and exposed himself again at the Revere barracks.  He then urinated throughout a booking room, prosecutors said.

Avery was represented by Silvia Guzman.  He will return to court on Sept. 11.


All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.