BOSTON, Dec. 18, 2013—The Suffolk County Grand Jury has returned a first-degree murder indictment against the man accused of killing 27-year-old Jajuan Griffin in Dorchester this summer, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DIOVANNI CARTER (D.O.B. 10/25/89) of Dorchester is currently held for violating the terms of his probation on a 2010 gun case for which he served three years behind bars. He will be arraigned on the murder charge in Suffolk Superior Court on Jan. 2.
“The holiday season can be emotionally wrenching for those living in the shadow of loss,” Conley said. “No court proceeding can bring a loved one back, but I hope Mr. Griffin’s family can at least take some small comfort in knowing that police and prosecutors have been working every day to reach this point.”
Griffin was shot in the area of 70 Ames St. in the Franklin Field housing development at about 9:45 p.m. on June 12. He was transported to Boston Medical Center, where he died of his injuries.
Based on evidence developed by Boston Police homicide detectives in the days and weeks that followed, Suffolk prosecutors approved a warrant for Carter’s arrest on Aug. 22. Carter was later taken into custody for violating the terms of his probation and has been incarcerated while prosecutors built the case behind the closed doors of the Suffolk County Grand Jury. The murder indictment was returned on Dec. 18.
Assistant District Attorney Masai King led the grand jury investigation that resulted in last week’s indictment. Jennifer Sears is the DA’s victim-witness advocate assigned to the case. Carter is represented by attorneys Anthony Ellison and James Dilday.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.