BOSTON, April 12, 2013— A Charlestown man is now charged with four counts of possessing child pornography, two more than he was initially arraigned on late last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JAMES MANSFIELD (D.O.B. 5/10/65) was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court following his Feb. 28 indictment by the Suffolk County Grand Jury. Assistant District Attorney Gloriann Moroney requested that Mansfield’s bail remain at $20,000, as set at his Charlestown District Court arraignment on Oct. 15. The four-count indictment moves the case from district court to Superior Court, where it will be adjudicated.
Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson granted the requested bail as well as the requested conditions that Mansfield continue to wear a GPS monitor; that he have no unsupervised contact with any child under age 16, including his own children; that he refrain from using computers and the internet; that he not use alcohol or illicit drugs; and that he not loiter in the area of schools, libraries, parks, and other locations where children typically congregate.
Moroney told the court that Boston Police detectives received a cybertip last year from the Massachusetts Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force regarding online chats discussing explicit sexual activity with young boys. The chat was traced to Mansfield’s iPhone, and during the course of the investigation, multiple specimens of child pornography were discovered on a computer belonging to Mansfield, prosecutors said.
Mansfield was represented by James Cipoletta. He will return to court on May 13 for a pretrial conference.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.