BOSTON, April 2, 2013—A Roxbury man accused of five violent attacks on women was held on $1 million cash bail today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
Suffolk Superior Court Clerk Magistrate Gary Wilson imposed the amount requested by Assistant District Attorney Patrick Devlin for TIKEE BEVERLY (D.O.B. 1/15/76), who was indicted late last month on 13 charges stemming from assaults in Dorchester, Roxbury, and Jamaica Plain.
All told, Beverly is charged with:
“These attacks all took place in broad daylight at abandoned or dilapidated buildings,” Conley said. “There are patterns and similarities linking them above and beyond the forensic evidence that police and prosecutors have assembled. This is still a very active investigation and additional indictments are possible.”
Devlin told the court that the cases charged thus far have been linked by DNA in some cases and video surveillance images in others. DNA testing is still under way in other cases, prosecutors said, and investigators are reviewing a journal or diary that Boston Police discovered in his residence that appears to lay claim to multiple acts of sexual violence against women.
Beverly was arrested in the aftermath of the Feb. 2 and Feb. 3 assaults, when Boston Police spotted him on Notre Dame Street and recognized him as matching the description of the assailant in those two cases. Since that time, police and prosecutors of the Boston Police and Suffolk DA’s sexual assault units have been reviewing cases of sexual assaults by strangers that had not yielded arrests, leading to Beverly’s March 27 indictments on three previously-uncharged rapes.
“I want to reiterate that we’re here to help and support anyone victimized by crimes of sexual violence,” Conley said. “You don’t have to cope with it alone.”
While the victims of any crime are urged to call 911 in an emergency, the survivors of sexual violence in Suffolk County can also call the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center’s 24-hour hotline at 800-841-8371. The Boston Area Rape Crisis Center provides medical advocacy, legal services, counseling, and other services to victims of sexual assault.
Anne Kelley-McCarthy is the DA’s assigned victim-witness advocate. Beverly is represented by attorney Carleton Williams. He will return to court on May 23.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.