BOSTON, June 27, 2013—Two men were held without bail today following their murder arraignments for separate slayings of Melissa Hardy, 33, recently in South Boston and Dinorris Alston, 30, in Roxbury last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said today.
MARTIN JIMINEZ (D.O.B. 3/9/70) was arraigned in South Boston District court following his arrest yesterday in connection with Hardy’s death, while MAURICE JONES (D.O.B. 12/29/93) was arraigned in Suffolk Superior Court following his indictment yesterday in connection with Alston’s death.
Assistant District Attorney Holly Broadbent, chief of the DA’s Domestic Violence Unit, told the court that Jiminez and Hardy had been in an on-and-off romantic relationship for several years that ended several weeks ago when Jiminez struck her and she left his East 4th Street residence to live with her family in Weymouth. They last saw her on Sunday night, when she said she was going to Jiminez’ apartment to retrieve some personal belongings.
Monday morning, Jiminez was arrested in Concord for allegedly operating under the influence. At the time, he was operating a car registered to one of Hardy’s family members. Following his arrest, Jiminez was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
While at the hospital, Jiminez allegedly confessed to civilian witnesses that he had killed Hardy. Those witnesses in turn relayed that information to law enforcement. Boston Police conducted a well-being check at Jiminez’ apartment late yesterday and discovered her remains inside Jiminez’ bedroom, which had been padlocked from the outside. Her remains showed signs of physical trauma, and Jiminez was arrested as he attempted to leave the hospital yesterday.
“This appears to be a case of deadly domestic violence by a man who abused his partner before,” Conley said. “If you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, help is out there. Police, prosecutors, and advocates are ready to help.”
Conley urged victims of any crime, including domestic violence, to call 911 in an emergency. Victims of domestic violence may also call SafeLink, a statewide DV hotline, at 877-785-2020. SafeLink is answered by trained advocates 24 hours a day in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, as well as TTY at 877-521-2601. It also has the capacity to provide multilingual translation in more than 140 languages.
At Jones’ arraignment, Assistant District Attorney Julie Higgins of the DA’s Homicide Unit told the court that indictments returned yesterday charge him with first-degree murder, armed assault with intent to murder, aggravated assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and unlawful possession of a firearm.
Higgins said that, at approximately 4:00 p.m. on April 17, 2012, Jones ran up to a vehicle in the area of 3 Dunreath St. and shot at the vehicle’s two occupants. Alston, who was in the car’s passenger seat, was fatally struck in the neck and torso. A woman sitting in the driver’s seat was struck by a bullet that entered her right hip and exited her back, but survived her injuries.
Jones was identified as the perpetrator after an investigation on the street and behind the closed doors of the Suffolk County Grand Jury developed witness statements, cell phone records, and other significant evidence. A warrant for his arrest issued yesterday and was executed by Boston Police.
“More than a year after the fact, we were able to identify Mr. Alston’s killer thanks to police and prosecutors who would not quit,” Conley said. “We hope this comes as some small comfort to his family as we move forward to find justice on his behalf.”
Jiminez was represented by attorney Michael Doolin. He will return to court on Aug. 8. Jones was represented by attorney Earl Howard. He will return to court on July 23.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.