BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2014—The man who allegedly made off with $2 after pushing a woman to the ground during a robbery was ordered held on high bail at his arraignment today, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RAYMOND CASTILLO (D.O.B. 1/22/80), who claims addresses in Hyde Park and Roslindale, was arraigned in Boston Municipal Court today on an armed robbery charge stemming from the Jan. 6 incident at the Haymarket MBTA station. Assistant District Attorney Jessica Erickson asked that bail be set at $50,000. Judge Annette Forde imposed $25,000 bail.
Erickson also told the court that Castillo has previously been convicted of and served jail time for breaking and entering, distribution of a Class B substance, shoplifting, larceny, and malicious destruction of property.
Shortly after 11:00 p.m., prosecutors said, a man wearing a black face mask approached the 37-year-old victim from behind as she walked through an underpass leading from a Green Line platform to an Orange Line platform. The man told the victim he had a gun and demanded all of her money. When she refused and attempted to flee, the man knocked her to the ground, got on top of her, and went through her pockets, prosecutors said.
The assailant made off with $2 and was pursued by two bystanders as he fled the station. The Samaritans were unable to apprehend him but MBTA Transit Police responded to the scene and began their investigation.
Transit Police viewed surveillance footage of the attack as well as additional footage that showed the assailant flee toward the busway only to re-enter the station minutes later through a separate entrance. The footage also shows him switching jackets with a female companion on the Orange Line platform and placing his backpack inside her backpack.
In the course of their investigation, Transit Police made a preliminary identification of Castillo as the man in the surveillance images. A check of Castillo’s Facebook page helped confirm that he was the same person captured in the images, prosecutors said.
After footage of the robbery was provided to the media and public, officers received an anonymous tip that Castillo could be located at a Roslindale address. Upon arrival, officers learned that Castillo had moved out months earlier, but witnesses who knew him positively identified him as the man seen in surveillance images, prosecutors said.
Transit Police were also able to identify and interview the woman seen with Castillo on the Orange Line platform. At this point, prosecutors said, the evidence does not suggest that she knew of his plans to commit the robbery or knowingly assisted him escape in its aftermath.
Castillo will return to court on Feb. 21.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.