BOSTON, February 16, 2017—The drunk driver who crashed into another vehicle, killing 34-year-old Luz Puentes-Sheets and 44-year-old Maria Hernandez, was sentenced today following her conviction earlier this month, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
JENNIFER GUZMAN (D.O.B. 7/5/1988) waived her right to a jury trial on two counts each of manslaughter, motor vehicle homicide, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing serious bodily injury in connection with the 2014 collision on the Jamaicaway that claimed her passengers’ lives. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Kenneth Salinger on Feb. 6 found her guilty of two counts of motor vehicle homicide and acquitted her of additional charges of manslaughter and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 16, 2017—The victim of a beating earlier this month in Chelsea has died of his injuries and his alleged assailant was apprehended in Ohio on murder charges yesterday, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley, Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes, State Police Colonel Richard McKeon, and US Marshal for the Southern District of Ohio Peter C. Tobin said.
District Attorney Conley and Chief Kyes identified the victim as Melvin Cortes, 32, of Everett. Authorities say he was beaten by a man wielding a baseball bat on Congress Avenue in the evening hours of Feb. 5, suffering life-threatening injuries. The investigation into that beating led Chelsea Police and State troopers assigned to Conley’s office to seek and obtain a warrant for the arrest of Chelsea resident KAMAYA FARIKAFI (D.O.B. 12/7/93) in the days that followed. more »
BOSTON, February 15, 2017—The Dedham man charged with killing 31-year-old Marcus Hall at a Mattapan barbershop has been ordered held without bail, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (D.O.B. 10/12/87) of Dedham was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of first-degree murder, unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and unlawfully carrying a loaded firearm. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Craig Iannini of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Clerk Magistrate Edward Curley ordered Shakespeare held without bail. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 13, 2017—An arraignment date has been scheduled in the case against the business owner and corporation charged in the deaths of 47-year-old Robert Higgins and 53-year-old Kelvin Mattocks, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ATLANTIC DRAIN SERVICES, INC., and its owner and sole officer, KEVIN OTTO of Blackstone, are expected to appear Feb. 23 for arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court after a grand jury returned indictments on Wednesday charging each with two counts of manslaughter, one count of misleading an investigator under the state’s witness intimidation statute, and six counts of concealing a record under the evidence tampering statute. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2017—A Dorchester woman today admitted helping to cover up the murder of her daughter, 2-year-old Bella Bond, in 2015 and will be sentenced after the child’s alleged killer goes to trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RACHELLE DEE BOND (D.O.B. 7/25/75) pleaded guilty to the indicted charges of being an accessory after the fact to murder and larceny over $250 by false pretense. She was not accused of any involvement in Bella’s death: rather, she had been charged with aiding the man who allegedly killed her in the aftermath and continuing to receive state benefits intended to support the girl’s care. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 10, 2017—A Jamaica Plain man accused in the October shooting that left a 9-year-old girl paralyzed was held on high bail at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
DOMINIQUE FINCH (D.O.B. 6/21/89) of Jamaica Plain was arraigned today in Roxbury Municipal Court on charges of assault to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon causing serious bodily injury, unlawful possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building. Assistant District Attorney Catherine Ham of the DA’s Senior Trial Unit requested bail of $500,000 with orders that Finch stay away and have no contact with the victim and her family, stay away from the Annunciation Road housing development where the shooting occurred, GPS monitoring, and abide by a curfew in the event he is to be released on bail. Ham also asked that Finch’s bail in an open 2016 case be revoked. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 8, 2017—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today delivered the following remarks on manslaughter and related indictments stemming from the Oct. 21, 2016, deaths of Robert Higgins and Kelvin Mattocks at a construction site in Boston’s South End:
“On Oct. 21, 2016, 47-year-old Robert Higgins and 53-year-old Kelvin Mattocks were part of a work crew run by Atlantic Drain Services, Inc., excavating a trench below Dartmouth Street. At about 12:30 pm, dirt within the trench gave way and a nearby fire hydrant collapsed into the hole, suddenly filling it with water. The flood mixed with dirt and clay, trapping the men within seconds below the rising waterline, and ultimately claiming their lives. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 7, 2017–Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today presented a group of Jamaica Plain eighth graders with certificates honoring their graduation from a program aimed to help them stay away from drugs, crime, and violence.
Conley and members of his staff visited the presented the awards to approximately 50 students at the James W. Hennigan K-8 School in Jamaica Plain, honoring the kids and teens he called “leaders” for completing the Overcoming Violence program offered by Conley’s office. more »
BOSTON, Feb. 3, 2017–Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley joined the University of Massachusetts Boston, juvenile justice professionals, and partners from across the youth advocacy spectrum to announce an ambitious pilot program aimed at diverting juvenile offenders away from the criminal justice system and toward services that will improve their lives and their communities.
The Juvenile Alternative Resolution program will team Suffolk prosecutors with UMass Boston’s Restorative Justice Juvenile Mediation Project and McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies, Action for Boston Community Development Changing Tracks Initiative, MissionSAFE, the Ray & Joan Kroc Community Center Bridging the Gap program, Robert F. Kennedy Children’s Action Corps Detention Diversion Advocacy Corps, and the Justice Resource Institute SMART Team with the goal of reducing juvenile involvement in the criminal justice system in Suffolk County – and the barriers to social, academic, and employment success that can follow. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 31, 2017— Boston Police Commissioner William B. Evans and Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today announced the arrest of a Dedham man in the June murder of 31-year-old Marcus Hall inside a Mattapan barber shop.
Early this morning members of the Boston Police Fugitive Unit, along with US Marshals and New York City Police Department, arrested WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (D.O.B. 10/12/87) of Dedham for Hall’s June 14 murder. Conley’s office had secured a four-count indictment against Shakespeare late last year following an extensive presentation to the Suffolk County Grand Jury. Shakespeare was taken into custody in the Bronx, New York, without incident and will face extradition back to Boston in the coming days. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 23, 2017—The man accused of planting an improvised explosive device next to a Boston Police cruiser parked on a busy South Boston bridge was held on high bail at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ASIM KIETA (D.O.B. 10/30/1974), who has no fixed address, was arraigned on charges of assault with intent to murder, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, assault and battery on a police officer, unlawful possession of an incendiary device, and arson today for the explosion on Friday morning along a portion of West Broadway above the South Boston Bypass Road. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 19, 2017—A Revere Police officer was arraigned today on charges of physically abusing a young child, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARCOS R. GARCIA (DOB 12/4/84) of Saugus was arraigned in Chelsea District Court on charges of assault and battery on a child causing injury and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Alissa Goldhaber, Judge Michael Patten set bail in the amount of $5,000 and ordered Garcia to stay away from and have no contact with the victims and witnesses in the case and have no contact with children under the age of 18, except his own child, without the knowledge of a parent or guardian. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 18, 2017–Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley today released the following statement on the Supreme Judicial Court’s decision in Bridgeman v. District Attorney, aka “Bridgeman II,” stemming from former chemist Annie Dookhan’s wrongdoing at a Department of Public Health drug testing facility:
“Today’s SJC decision is consistent with an uninterrupted series of rulings that prosecutors are best situated to assess the viability of their cases. Since the Scott decision in 2013, the high court has rejected mass dismissal as a remedy to Annie Dookhan’s misconduct, and it has done so once again. In the weeks to come, we’ll consider the quality of the evidence, the availability of our witnesses, and the relative seriousness of each specific case in terms of public safety, public health, and public policy. But that approach is not a new one: it’s our practice every day, in every case, in every courthouse in Suffolk County.”
Today’s decision followed the 2015 decision in Bridgeman I, in which the SJC declined to order the mass dismissal of Dookhan-related cases and established that defendants who challenged their convictions on those cases would not face harsher penalties or sentences if and when they are re-convicted after doing so.
All defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
CHELSEA, Jan. 17, 2017—The youth shot and killed in Chelsea on Friday has been identified as 15-year-old Jimmy Vasquez, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said today.
Vasquez, a resident of Chelsea, suffered a fatal gunshot wound during an incident on Shurtleff Street at approximately 5:35 Friday evening. He was rushed to CHA Everett Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. A second youth, also 15, suffered a nonfatal gunshot injury and is expected to survive. more »
CHELSEA, Jan. 14, 2017–State Police assigned to the Suffolk DA’s office and Chelsea Police detectives continue to investigate a double shooting yesterday evening that claimed one teen’s life and injured another, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Chelsea Police Chief Brian Kyes said today.
The shooting at approximately 5:35 pm on Shurtleff Street left the 15-year-old homicide victim with mortal injuries. He was rushed to Whidden Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced deceased. His name is not currently being released pending full family notifications. A second youth, also 15, suffered less serious injuries and is expected to survive. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 12, 2017—A West Roxbury couple were ordered held on high bail at their arraignment today on human trafficking charges for allegedly running a house of prostitution in Allston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
During their arraignment today in Suffolk Superior Court, Clerk Magistrate Edward Curley ordered YUET CHOW (D.O.B. 9/9/63) and KIM CHOW (D.O.B. 9/18/48) each held on $500,000 bail – an amount previously set in Brighton Municipal Court. more »
BOSTON, Jan. 11, 2017—A Georgia man who worked with underage performers was sentenced to prison today after pleading guilty to secretly recording them in hotel rooms, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
WILLIAM H. ALLEN (D.O.B. 9/8/52) of Athens, Georgia, appeared in Suffolk Superior Court for sentencing today after pleading guilty to two counts each of secretly photographing sexual or intimate parts of a child and possession of child pornography. Judge Mary Ames sentenced Allen to two years in state prison followed by 10 years of probation. During that time, Allen is barred from residing or having unsupervised contact with anyone under 18 and from taking part in any employment or volunteer activity that would put him in contact with anyone under age 18. He must also stay away and have no contact with his victims, undergo a psychiatric evaluation, and complete any treatment deemed necessary, including sex offender treatment. more »
BOSTON, January 10, 2017—A Level 3 sex offender was ordered held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing at his arraignment today on charges he assaulted two women during a break-in, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
RONALD BROWN (D.O.B. 3/20/64), who lists the Pine Street Inn as he primary residence, was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of indecent assault and battery, evidence tampering, assault for the purposes of racial intimidation, burglary with assault, and two counts each of aggravated rape, robbery, kidnapping, and witness intimidation.
Brown is additionally charged as a habitual offender and with aggravated rape as a second offense as a result of his prior convictions. According to prosecutors, Brown was convicted in Suffolk Superior Court in 1986 of aggravated rape, burglary, and other offenses for attacking a woman during a similar incident; he was sentenced to 18 to 25 years in state prison for those offenses. In 2013, prosecutors said, he was convicted of multiple counts of juror intimidation for an incident that occurred during a separate trial at Worcester Superior Court.
At the request of Assistant District Attorney Ian Polumbaum, chief of the DA’s Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Unit, Clerk Magistrate Anne Kaczmarek ordered that Brown continue to be held without bail pending a dangerousness hearing under Chapter 276, Section 58A, of the Massachusetts General Laws. The statute allows a judge to hold a defendant accused of certain offenses without bail for up to 120 days pending trial upon “clear and convincing evidence that no conditions of release will reasonably assure the safety of any other person or the community.” That hearing is scheduled to take place Jan. 17. more »