Press Releases from 2018
Jan 19, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 19, 2018—A Suffolk Superior Court jury today convicted a Brighton man of murder in connection with the fatal shooting of 26-year-old LeRoy Cooper, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

After a week of trial and about a day of deliberations, jurors found PATRICK MALONE (D.O.B. 6/28/91) guilty of second-degree murder and unarmed robbery for Cooper’s Nov. 19, 2012, homicide. He faces a mandatory life term next week. more »


Jan 19, 2018

BOSTON, January 19, 2018— A Brighton man has been found guilty in connection with the drunk driving crash that killed his friend, 24-year-old Dillon Cohen, and seriously injured his other passenger, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley announced today.

At the conclusion of a jury-waived trial, Suffolk Superior Court Judge Linda Giles found CRAIG LAWLOR (D.O.B. 6/4/92) guilty of manslaughter by motor vehicle, motor vehicle homicide by operating under the influence of alcohol, and operating under the influence of alcohol causing serious bodily injury in connection with the 2016 crash in the Sumner Tunnel that claimed Cohen’s life.  He is expected to face sentencing on Feb. 5. more »


Jan 18, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 17, 2018—A Texas man was held on high bail today after his arraignment on a raft of charges stemming from three motor vehicle thefts and six commercial burglaries last year at sites as far north as Woburn and as far south as Brockton, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

FREDRICK D. WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 1/7/89) of Dallas, Texas, was indicted Dec. 20 on six counts each of breaking and entering at night with intent to commit a felony, breaking into a depository, and malicious destruction of property; four counts of larceny over $250; two counts of attempted larceny over $250; three counts of larceny of a motor vehicle; and one count of possession of burglarious instruments.

After being arrested on a fugitive warrant by Texas authorities, Williams was extradited to Massachusetts, where he was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court. Clerk Magistrate Lisa Medeiros set bail at $500,000 cash. A second Texan, MATTHEW GALLAGHER (D.O.B. 1/9/86), was identically charged and is expected to face arraignment tomorrow. more »


Jan 17, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 17, 2018—Two Texas men are expected to appear in Suffolk Superior Court this week after their indictments for allegedly stealing about $60,000 from bank machines during a regional smash-and-grab spree last year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

FREDRICK D. WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 1/7/89) and MATTHEW L. GALLAGHER (D.O.B. 1/9/86), both of Dallas, Texas, were indicted Dec. 20 on six counts each of breaking and entering at night with intent to commit a felony, breaking into a depository, and malicious destruction of property; four counts of larceny over $250; two counts of attempted larceny over $250; three counts of larceny of a motor vehicle; and one count of possession of burglarious instruments. more »


Jan 16, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 16, 2018—A man previously convicted of attacking a man in the Belle Isle Marsh Reservation has been charged with an earlier assault in the same location that claimed the life of 83-year-old East Boston resident Daniel Pepe, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

The Suffolk County Grand Jury on Dec. 20 returned indictments charging MICHAEL BRUZZESE (D.O.B. 5/26/65) with manslaughter and unarmed robbery of a person over 60 in the May 29, 2016, assault that caused Pepe’s death three days later.  The State Police Violent Fugitive Apprehension Section apprehended Bruzzese this morning in Cambridge and he is expected to be arraigned later today in Suffolk Superior Court. more »


Jan 12, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 12, 2018—A Suffolk Superior Court jury today returned guilty verdicts on all charges against the man who kidnapped and raped two women within days of one another in 2004 in a case complicated by the fact that the defendant was an identical twin, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

Jurors deliberated for approximately one day before convicting DWAYNE McNAIR (D.O.B. 1/30/81) this afternoon of all charges in connection with the two 2004 attacks.  He faces sentencing next month on eight counts of aggravated rape and two counts of armed robbery. more »


Jan 11, 2018

SJC Finds Conflict of Interest Claim “Unsupported By the Record”

BOSTON, Jan. 11, 2018—The state’s highest court today vacated a judge’s 2016 order granting a new trial to the man who murdered 10-year-old Trina Persad with a shotgun blast to the face, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In a 38-page decision, the Supreme Judicial Court vacated Superior Court Judge Janet Sanders’ finding that an attorney for JOSEPH COUSIN (D.O.B. 8/9/84) had performed prior legal work for other clients that presented an actual conflict of interest at the time Cousin, a member of the notorious Magnolia-Intervale-Columbia gang, was convicted of killing Persad during a June 29, 2002, mission to retaliate against rivals at Jermaine Goffigan Park. more »


Jan 11, 2018

BOSTON, January 11, 2018—As a Westwood man was sentenced to prison for stalking a woman to her Fenway home and raping her two years ago, the survivor recounted her ordeal and a message of support to others who live through sexual assault.

A Suffolk Superior Court jury on Dec. 20 convicted MICHAEL PURPURA (D.O.B. 6/22/79) of aggravated rape, indecent assault and battery, strangulation or suffocation, unarmed burglary, and larceny over $250.  At his sentencing yesterday afternoon, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office recommended a term of 20 to 25 years in prison to be followed by five years of probation. Judge Peter Muse imposed a term of 15 to 18 years in state prison.  more »


Jan 10, 2018

BOSTON, January 10, 2018— Three men were held without bail today for their roles in the murder of Joshua Briggs inside a Boston hotel room, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JOHN “SPICE” COLLINS (D.O.B. 10/16/93), ERRIN “DUBDUB” CRAWFORD, Jr., (D.O.B. 09/05/88), and MICHAEL “BATS” REYNOLDS (D.O.B. 10/10/93) were arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court on indictments charging first-degree murder and three counts each of home invasion and armed robbery.   Collins and Reynolds are additionally charged with unlawful possession of a firearm.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Thomas Flanagan of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Clerk Magistrate Lisa Medeiros ordered all three men held without bail. more »


Jan 10, 2018

BOSTON, January 10, 2018— A juvenile who led police on a foot chase was charged as a repeat gun offender after officers found a loaded firearm along his path of flight – and technology developed for firefighters suggested it had recently been tossed, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

A 17-year-old male from Dorchester was arraigned yesterday in the Juvenile Session of Dorchester Municipal Court on charges of delinquency, to wit: unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of a firearm as a second offense, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm, possession of a large capacity firearm, and trespass.  According to prosecutors, the defendant was previously adjudicated delinquent – the equivalent of a guilty finding in the juvenile court – in 2016 and committed to the Department of Youth Services until the age of 18.

Judge Michael Coyne set bail at $25,000 and ordered the juvenile held without bail on a DYS detainer. more »


Jan 8, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2018—A Roxbury man was held without bail at his arraignment today as the second person charged with murder in the shooting death last month of 17-year-old Philip Demings, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JAWONE SHEPARD (D.O.B. 4/14/99) was arraigned today in Dorchester Municipal Court today on a charge of murder in connection with Demings’ Dec. 19 homicide.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Thomas Flanagan of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Judge Thomas Kaplanes ordered Shepard held without bail. more »


Jan 8, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2018—As 26-year-old Dawnn Jaffier’s killers were sentenced to life in prison, her father and brother delivered an urgent plea to other young men to put down their guns – and asked federal lawmakers and others to stop the flow of those same firearms into cities like Boston.

Ian Jaffier’s remarks came at a sentencing hearing for WESSON COLAS (D.O.B. 5/25/92) and KEITH WILLIAMS (D.O.B. 7/13/96), both convicted of first-degree murder, armed assault with intent to murder, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. A Suffolk Superior Court jury convicted both men of causing Jaffier’s death and the injury of a second woman on Blue Hill Avenue on the morning of Aug. 23, 2014, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said. more »


Jan 8, 2018

Grand Jury Investigation Also Yields Charges in Earlier Shooting

BOSTON, Jan. 8, 2018—The man indicted for allegedly shooting 30-year-old David Cole to death last fall has been apprehended in Rhode Island and likely faces arraignment in Suffolk Superior Court later this week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

MARQUIS R. MARTIN (D.O.B. 8/1/89) of Roxbury was indicted Dec. 21 for first-degree murder for the Oct. 29 shooting that claimed Cole’s life on Peninsula Place in Dorchester. He was additionally inducted for three counts of armed assault with intent to murder and one count of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon for a non-fatal shooting he allegedly committed earlier that evening. Based on evidence developed in the course of the grand jury investigation, Suffolk prosecutors approved a warrant for Martin’s arrest on Nov. 16. more »


Jan 3, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 3, 2018—The Massachusetts Appeals Court today reversed a lower court’s ruling that would have prevented jurors from hearing certain evidence about a hotel room key found on a human trafficking defendant at a downtown hotel where a suspected victim was found shaking, crying, and visibly afraid, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

In a 12-page decision by Justices Vickie Henry, Eric Neyman, and Peter Rubin, the Appeals Court found that Suffolk Superior Court Judge Kenneth Salinger erred by suppressing a statement by ADERITO BARBOSA (D.O.B. 3/28/84) in which he allegedly admitted that a room key found during his 2015 arrest at the Park Plaza Hotel fit the room to which police had been invited after responding to an advertisement on Backpage.com. more »


Jan 2, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2018— A Lynn man was held without bail at his arraignment today in connection with the shooting death of 17-year-old Philip Demings, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

JAQUAN SHEPARD (D.O.B. 12/23/97) was arraigned today in Dorchester Municipal Court today on a charge of murder in connection with Demings’ Dec. 19 shooting death.  At the request of Assistant District Attorney Thomas Flanagan of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Shepard was ordered held without bail. more »


Jan 2, 2018

BOSTON, Jan. 2, 2018— A Berkeley man faces arraignment tomorrow after he seriously injured a co-worker at a Boston construction site and enlisted a colleague to cover up the assault, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.

KEVIN MEDEIROS (D.O.B. 8/19/61) of Berkeley will be arraigned tomorrow in Suffolk Superior Court on charges of aggravated assault and battery, witness intimidation, and tampering with evidence.  His co-defendant, JEAN ROCK BEAULIEU (D.O.B. 6/19/89) of Salem, N.H., will be arraigned in the same court tomorrow on charges of accessory after the fact to aggravated assault and battery and witness intimidation. more »