BOSTON, Sept. 29, 2016— The Roxbury man convicted in the unprovoked killing of 15-year-old Soheil Turner as the teen waited for a bus to school will continue to serve life in prison after the state’s highest court affirmed his convictions, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
The Supreme Judicial Court today upheld the convictions of XENIYEJU CHUKWUEZI (D.O.B. 4/4/91) for first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm for the 2009 murder of the unarmed teen. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 28, 2016—Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley last month named an experienced prosecutor to help oversee his unique training program, and he’s hit the ground running.
Conley named Assistant District Attorney Nicholas Brandt the deputy chief of training, a responsibility that Brandt will hold in addition to his current assignment in the DA’s Appellate Division. Brandt will work with Assistant District Attorney Donna Jalbert Patalano, a former defense attorney who now serves as the DA’s chief of professional integrity and ethics, to train newly-hired prosecutors in the policies and procedures of the state’s busiest prosecutor’s office and provide more focused training opportunities for members of the DA’s Superior Court trial teams. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 28, 2016—A man who allegedly exploited his position within a Boston church was arraigned today on rape and related charges from the 1980s and 1990s, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL WALSH (D.O.B. 9/30/36) of Pembroke was indicted Sept. 16 on two counts of rape of a child and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child for alleged offenses against a boy who was then in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades. At the time, Walsh was an altar boy coordinator at St. Brendan’s Church in Dorchester and a coach with the Cedar Grove Baseball League.
At the request of Assistant District Attorney Ashley Polin of the DA’s Child Protection Unit, Clerk Magistrate Anne Kaczmarek ordered Walsh to wear a GPS monitor, remain in Massachusetts, and surrender his passport while the case is pending. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 28, 2016–Revere Police and the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit are investigating an apparent assault that left a man with serious injuries outside a Squire Road strip club, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley and Police Chief Joseph Cafarelli said.
The preliminary investigation suggests that a 29-year-old New Jersey man was escorted from The Squire at about 10:00 last night. Said to be intoxicated inside the establishment, the man became involved in a physical altercation with several members of club staff outside. A Revere Police officer observed a group gathered outside and stopped to investigate. He found the victim unconscious on the ground, and the man was transported to Massachusetts General Hospital for treatment of a serious head injury. As of early this morning, he was listed in serious but stable condition.
Anyone with information on the incident or those involved is asked to share it with Revere Police detectives at 781-286-8340 or the Suffolk County State Police Detective Unit at 617-727-8817.
BOSTON, Sept. 27, 2016—The man accused in the June murder of 43-year-old Jermaine Good was ordered held without bail at his arraignment today, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley.
ROGERS JORDAN (D.O.B. 5/7/65) of Mattapan was arraigned today in Suffolk Superior Court after a grand jury yesterday returned indictments charging him with first-degree murder and unlawful possession of a firearm. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Julie Higgins of the DA’s Homicide Unit, Clerk Magistrate Anne Kaczmarek ordered Jordan held without bail. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 26, 2016—Two East Boston residents have been indicted for murder in the June homicide of 19-year-old Blanca Lainez, whose body was found in a Princeton Street garage earlier this year, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A Suffolk County grand jury today returned indictments charging JOSE HERNANDEZ (D.O.B. 6/25/00) and ANGEL ANTONIO RAMOS-OLIVA (D.O.B. 6/8/95) with first-degree murder. Hernandez has been held without bail since his July 10 arrest and Ramos-Oliva since his arrest on Sept. 2. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 22, 2016— A juvenile was arraigned today on charges she flipped a stolen SUV yesterday, critically injuring a teenage passenger, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
A 17-year-old female from Dorchester was arraigned today in Boston Juvenile Court on charges of negligent operation of a motor vehicle, receiving a stolen motor vehicle, use of a motor vehicle without authority, failure to stop for police, and unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle. At the request of Assistant District Attorney Benjamin Franklin of the DA’s Juvenile Unit, the defendant was held on $10,000 bail. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 21, 2016—The man who gunned down 22-year-old US Army veteran Stephen Perez during an altercation in a Theater District parking garage was found guilty of first-degree murder in his homicide, District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Jurors convicted PETER CASTILLO (D.O.B. 8/6/88) of Salem about two hours after Judge Mitchell Kaplan instructed them on the law. The verdict, which rejected Castillo’s claim of self-defense, came after about four days of testimony. Castillo faces a mandatory term of life in prison without the possibility of parole when Kaplan sentences him Monday morning. more »
Victim’s Sister: “I Feel So Alone In This World Without Her”
BOSTON, Sept. 12, 2016— As a jury was being seated for her murder trial, a Dorchester woman pleaded guilty to fatally stabbing 26-year-old Maria Sanchez and injuring a second woman during a fight outside a house party in 2014, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
TAKISA MATTHEWS (D.O.B. 5/4/84) today pleaded guilty to manslaughter, armed assault with intent to murder, and assault and battery. Suffolk Superior Court Judge Douglas Wilkins sentenced her to 12 to 13 years in state prison. Matthews faced a mandatory term of life in prison had she been convicted of first-degree murder. more »
High Court Cites “Effective Triangulation of Consistent Evidence” Proving Guilt
BOSTON, Sept. 8, 2016— A man twice convicted of murdering Joseph Bottari and Frank Chiuchiolo in the North End 30 years ago has once again been denied a new trial, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
FRANK DiBENEDETTO will continue to serve life in prison without the possibility of parole after the Supreme Judicial Court today affirmed a decision of a judge of the Superior Court denying his motion for a new trial in the Feb. 19, 1986, killings of Bottari and Chiuchiolo. DiBenedetto and LOUIS COSTA were convicted of first-degree murder in 1988 and again after a new trial in 1994. Costa is also serving life in prison; because he was a juvenile at the time of the murders, however, he is eligible for periodic parole hearings under a 2013 ruling by the SJC. At a hearing earlier this year, Costa unequivocally identified DiBenedetto as his confederate in the cold-blooded murders. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 6, 2016—A Dorchester man was arraigned today on charges that he was drunk behind the wheel when he struck and killed 46-year-old Johnette Sims in a crosswalk, then fled the scene, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
ANTHONY EARL BUCHANAN (D.O.B. 12/26/76) of Dorchester is charged with motor vehicle homicide while operating under the influence and leaving the scene of a collision causing death. He was additionally citied for the civil infractions of speeding and a marked lane violation. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 2, 2016—A Dorchester man was arraigned today on charges he assaulted an elderly man in a wheelchair, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MARQUES BELL (D.O.B. 12/17/92) was arraigned today in Roxbury Municipal Court on a charge of assault and battery on an elderly or disabled person causing injury. Prosecutors requested bail of $5,000. Bell was released on $500 bail he posted following his arrest. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 2, 2016—A second defendant was arraigned today on a murder charge in connection with the June homicide of 19-year-old Blanca Lainez in East Boston, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
Amid the ongoing investigation into Lainez’ stabbing death, Boston Police homicide detectives this morning arrested ANGEL ANTONIO RAMOS-OLIVA (D.O.B. 6/8/95) of East Boston. He was arraigned this afternoon in East Boston Municipal Court, where Judge Lisa Grant held him without bail at the request of Assistant District Attorney Jess Megee. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 2, 2016—A ride-share driver was arraigned today following his arrest for sexually assaulting a female passenger in his vehicle earlier this week, Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said.
MICHAEL VEDRINE (D.O.B. 1/31/84) of Brockton was arraigned today for allegedly assaulting a passenger in his Uber car in the early morning hours of Aug. 31. Assistant District Attorney AlexaRae Wright recommended that he be held on $50,000 cash bail, wear a GPS device, and refrain from driving any livery vehicle. Judge Lisa Ann Grant released him on his own recognizance. more »
BOSTON, Sept. 2, 2016—The former Boston Public Schools employee who allegedly shot a student in the head last year has fired his attorney, delaying the trial that had been scheduled for next month.
At a hearing yesterday in Suffolk Superior Court, Judge Rosalind Miller granted a motion by SHAUN O. HARRISON (D.O.B. 6/9/59) to obtain new counsel for his trial on charges of armed assault with intent to murder and other related offenses connected with the March 4 shooting of a 17-year-old male. Harrison’s former attorney, Michelle Brennan, was dismissed and attorney Robert Laboy was appointed to represent him. more »